5,000 Miles!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just passed 5,000 miles on our family's 2010 Altima V6:

IMG_3615.jpg

As a celebration
wink.gif
, I gave it a thorough wash/clay/polish/seal today in preparation for winter.

So far, in 5,000 miles I have had 0 unscheduled dealer visits. The only maintenance performed has one been scheduled oil change after six months and 2,500 miles with Valvoline SynPower 5w-30. Hopefully it will stay this way, but if not, I have an 8 yr/120,000 mile warranty to fall back on!

Since I know some people on this forum are in the market for a mid-sized car, here is some info on the ownership experience so far:

The good:

1) Great power, especially low and mid-range torque. The VQ35DE engine is incredible. For a NA engine without DI, there is plenty of usable power in daily driving. In comparison, the 3.5L V6 in the current Accord feels weak. Due to the powerband, in our use the engine almost never sees more than 2500 rpm.

2) The CVT. Yes, the CVT. It has not overheated nor has it given us any reliability issues. When paired with the V6, the CVT does a good job as a transmission as it does not have any shift shock. The "feel" is surprisingly good for a CVT--there is none of the buzzing, drone or "rubber-band effect" that is commonly associated with CVTs. I think this is because the VQ35DE has so much usable low-end and mid-range torque that it eliminates the problem. The Drive Sport (Ds mode) is also great as it seems to improve throttle response slightly and also makes the transmission behave more similarly to a conventional auto (if you care).

3) Driving Position. The steering wheel tilts and telescopes (though a bit crudely) and allows me to find a good driving position without feeling cramped. I have driven cars with better driving positions, but this one is definitely one of the better ones.

4) Handling. Very flat during cornering, almost no body lean under most "normal" conditions. Without a doubt, this is probably one of, if not the best handling V6 family sedan on the market.

5) Steering feel. Though it is a bit light at low-speeds, the steering tightens up with speed. Road feedback could be a little better (Accord is the best in this area), but it is still better than most other cars in this class.

The bad:

1) The rear seat cushion is low. Really low. This has its pros and cons. Pro is that it allows me to sit on the rear seat without my hair greasing up the headliner.
wink.gif
The bad is that it is a rather odd seating position which is not super comfortable during long trips.

2) The front seats need more side bolstering. Come on Nissan, the 3.5SR V6 is the sporty version of the Altima. The seats in the new base model Maxima are fantastic, they should be in the Altima!

3) Styling. The outside is good. The inside is starting to look quite dated compared to the Accord and Sonata. And that steering wheel needs to be smaller-- Nissan needs to design a steering wheel that is identical to the one in the current Accord, as the Accord's steering wheel is the best one out there for a family sedan.

The Ugly:

1) Fuel Economy. VQ35 engines have never been known for great fuel economy, as they are more performance oriented. Thankfully, Nissan retuned the 2010+ Altima V6 to run on 87 octane, though it is the only VQ35 equipped vehicle to be approved for 87. It makes me wonder what they did to achieve this. I do notice that is noticeably less peppy in 100-degree weather with the A/C on...which makes me wonder if it can benefit from 91 octane.

Nevertheless, fuel economy is a bit of a weak spot with this car. Here's what we are getting so far:

-- 18-19 mpg if the tank is almost entirely comprised of 1-5 mile city trips

-- 21-22 mpg if the tank is comprised of 70% 1-5 mile city trips and 30% highway driving

-- 26-30 mpg if the tank is 100% highway.

Interestingly, the aggressiveness of your driving seems to have very little effect on the fuel economy. 5%, tops. Perhaps this is due to the V6 engine? Also, the onboard fuel economy indicator is fairly accurate-- it is only 5% optimistic.

2) The Stereo. We have the base model stereo. Not the Bose upgrade. Not the Bose that is bundled with the Nav. The base model stereo is so poor, that the base stereo in my 15 year old Saturn sounds better than it!

So, there you have it-- a 5,000 mile review of the Altima V6. It may seem a bit early, but early reviews are also important as 5k is enough time for any build quality issues to show up. But so far, no squeaks, rattles or any issues.

Also, here's a video of me starting up the car. You can definitely here the classic VQ35 exhaust note:

So the real question is, would I recommend this car? The answer is yes, but if and only if you want a somewhat sporty, NA V6 midsized sedan that runs on regular. But even if you are in the market for that type of car, you are probably better off paying the extra for premium fuel and instead purchasing a Maxima. The Maxima has far better fit/finish with more comfortable comfortable seats and possibly a slightly softer ride.

If you have any questions or comments, fire away!

Well, according to the gauges, you have a good idle, full tank of fuel, and good water temperature. Now, lets see a picture of the car all polished up.

A lot of people say the Accord does not have good steering feedback. I can't really say other than I think the Altima's steering is more boosted which I slightly prefer.

I think the Altima gets better milage than the Accord, especially the 4cyl. Your V6 milage seems almost as good as what my brother's 4 cylinder 2dr Accord gets. I agree with that the Altima's engines feel torqier. Heck, everyone elses' engines feel torqier at part throttle. It seems you have to step on a Honda motor then they have plenty of get up and go.

The Altima seems to have a lot more compliant and quiet ride than the Accord, but maybe not so much for the 3.5 Altima. It probably rides about as firm as an Accord. I don't feel that the Accord's seats are as comfortable

Comparing an '09 2dr Honda 4cyl EX to an '08 2 dr Altima 2.5S, I liked a lot of things about the Altima better-better price, styling, seats, ride and quietness. On the negative side the CVT was jerky on the 4 cyl model. (I think it is probably smoother on the V6, at least it is on the few that I have drove briefly). And the brakes were a little touchy, maybe overboosted. Other than that it was almost a perfect mid-size car. Well it did have limited trunk space. You might accept a small backseat area on a 2dr but you might like to still have decent trunk space.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Now, lets see a picture of the car all polished up.

Disregard this part of my post as I see you have already done it in the photo section. Looks good.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Just passed 5,000 miles on our family's 2010 Altima V6:

As a celebration
wink.gif
, I gave it a thorough wash/clay/polish/seal today in preparation for winter.

So far, in 5,000 miles I have had 0 unscheduled dealer visits. The only maintenance performed has one been scheduled oil change after six months and 2,500 miles with Valvoline SynPower 5w-30. Hopefully it will stay this way, but if not, I have an 8 yr/120,000 mile warranty to fall back on!

Since I know some people on this forum are in the market for a mid-sized car, here is some info on the ownership experience so far:

The good:

1) Great power, especially low and mid-range torque. The VQ35DE engine is incredible. For a NA engine without DI, there is plenty of usable power in daily driving. In comparison, the 3.5L V6 in the current Accord feels weak. Due to the powerband, in our use the engine almost never sees more than 2500 rpm.

How do you think it compares to the Toyota 3.5 V6?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nevertheless, fuel economy is a bit of a weak spot with this car. Here's what we are getting so far:

-- 18-19 mpg if the tank is almost entirely comprised of 1-5 mile city trips

-- 21-22 mpg if the tank is comprised of 70% 1-5 mile city trips and 30% highway driving

-- 26-30 mpg if the tank is 100% highway.

That's really not that bad for a large V6 engine with tons of power and torque.

Our C300 gets worse MPG, thanks in part to the permanent AWD, but even the non-AWD versions don't do much better. Requires premium fuel, too. Steering response is excellent though (ours is the sport model)... puts my 530i to shame.

My 6.1 liter 425 hp V8 gets nearly 18 in the city in normal driving, I would think your gas mileage is atrocious! Perhaps it will improve with more miles?

But I have rented Altimas like this and they are very pleasant for a FWD automobile.

Last edited:
Quote:
Nissan needs to design a steering wheel that is identical to the one in the current Accord, as the Accord's steering wheel is the best one out there for a family sedan.

Thats the same thing I thought when I rented an Accord this past summer.

Good write up on your new Altima. I really don't like the use of silver colored 'trims' of some Nissan interiors.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
And the brakes were a little touchy, maybe overboosted. Other than that it was almost a perfect mid-size car.

The brakes are extremely touchy, with a very sharp initial bite and difficult pedal modulation. However, it adds to the sporty character of the vehicle-- sharp throttle response, good handling, good brakes. The brakes do stop the car extremely well with very little dust and almost no fade. Very few pedal pulsation complaints as well, compared to Honda. I think Nissan really has the braking system nailed on this car.

Originally Posted By: Brett Miller
How do you think it compares to the Toyota 3.5 V6?

Good question. I drove a 2009 Camry SE V6 more than 18 months ago. So it has been a while and I don't completely remember how that engine behaves, but my limited memory is that it's pretty comparable to the VQ35, but with much better fuel efficiency.

Originally Posted By: ryansride2017
How long do you plan on keeping this vehicle? I would be interested in the 100K mile review.

Hopefully I won't have it after the extended warranty runs out-- which will be in Jan 2018 or 120k, whichever comes first.

I miss my old 3.5SE.
If I was in the market for a new sedan, this would be at the top of my list. I think they look fantastic especially from the outside. Sounds like my car
laugh.gif

NO comments about the video? I'm surprised.

If you were expecting to get comments on the car's exhaust note, it did not come through the video very well... probably poor mic.

That is one ridiculously overpowered car. I am with Click&Clack; you don't need that much horsepower :)

All kidding aside, personally I am not too fond of having optional bigger engine in a car. I prefer to have vehicle which has optional bigger engine but I would buy the standard one. This gives me lot of room in the engine compartment.

- Vikas

Geez, I can't believe all the eco nuts here aren't on him about that [censored] mileage number!

That car should get 20 no matter what. My Murano with similar engine and CVT always got 20 or better even with Wifey the Leadfoot driving.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
My Murano with similar engine and CVT always got 20 or better even with Wifey the Leadfoot driving.

Short city trips? That'll kill any car's mpg.

Neither of our two cars would get to 20 under such driving conditions. Heck, even our old 4-cylinder Jetta would have trouble there.

I like the altimas a lot. Your mileage is higher across the board than my similar engined G35. I couldn't hit 25mpg on the highway going downhill with a tailwind.

I was going to get an altima SE-R until I realized that with the options I wanted it would cost as much as the G35. And all things being equal I prefer rear wheel drive.

I rent altimas all the time, but they are 90% 4 cylinders. The 6 cylinder altima feels as strong or stronger than my G35 at double digit speeds. Really enjoyable. People say that the interior isn't as good as some of the others but I think they are great. The power delivery makes up for other shortcomings.

I paid extra for the BLOSE system, not much better than the base system.

Last edited:
Geez, I can't believe all the eco nuts here aren't on him about that [censored] mileage number!

That car should get 20 no matter what. My Murano with similar engine and CVT always got 20 or better even with Wifey the Leadfoot driving.

How long are the trips? Short trips of under 2 miles have a significant negative impact on fuel economy. On those trips, I bet I am getting 15-16 mpg.

And eco nuts? This is BITOG, not a greenpeace site.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
My Murano with similar engine and CVT always got 20 or better even with Wifey the Leadfoot driving.

Short city trips? That'll kill any car's mpg.

Neither of our two cars would get to 20 under such driving conditions. Heck, even our old 4-cylinder Jetta would have trouble there.

Short trips and idling really hurts fuel economy. I've found that this engine burns A LOT of fuel when idling. For instance, at a stoplight the average mpg readout will drop by 1 or 2 mpg from idling for just 2 minutes. Of course once you start driving the average mpg value will increase again, but this shows you how much of an effect idling has on fuel consumption.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
That is one ridiculously overpowered car. I am with Click&Clack; you don't need that much horsepower :)

All kidding aside, personally I am not too fond of having optional bigger engine in a car. I prefer to have vehicle which has optional bigger engine but I would buy the standard one. This gives me lot of room in the engine compartment.

- Vikas

Agreed. I wish Nissan had a stronger 4 cyl option. Around town, I can't even push the pedal down more than 1/4 of the way or else I'll be way over the speed limit due to the power of this engine. It seems pointless as there's so much power on tap, yet I can never fully utilize it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back