4 days - New England. Where to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we are a bit tired of the blazing sun in NC.
Wife and I have a rare 4 days off together (at the SAME time).
We have decided to visit a town/city in New England area.

We like areas with some bodies of water, a bit of gloom, mist, etc but not totally camping - like. We want a CITY, but a gloomy rainy city to relax.

Although we have 4 days off, we might only use 3 full days for the trip.

We like cultural attractions, but not totally touristy stuff.
We like to explore food options.
NOT much into museums.
Main thing quite, but city-ish area with a relaxing gloomy atmosphere / and some scenery similar to that.

(Have been to Boston already, so would like to go somewhere else)

Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

My wife and I did an organized bike tour of coastal Maine a few years ago. we absolutely fell in love with the place. The tour started and ended in Portland, which was incredibly beautiful. We would love to go back.

+1 for Portland ME; you can snap 'another photo' of the most photographed lighthouse in the world. Authentic maritime city with a great downtown.

It is the city from which the other Portland derives its name.

Last edited:
1) The Shelburne Museum (Shelburne, VT south of Burlington) is a 200 acre collection of buildings, farming artifacts and the last paddle wheeler, The Ticonderoga, on dry land. It's not what anyone would call a museum. Houses from all over New England are there. Absolutely FIRST CLASS.

1a) The Adirondack Museum (Blue Mountain Lake, NY) another 200+ acre collection of buildings and displays was and may still be linked to the Shelburne. Admission to one got you admission to the other as well. It's so full of different stuff. Again, not a "museum". 1 and 1a are my favorites.

2) The marble exhibit in Proctor, VT. Good, richly colored marble from right beneath your feet.

3) P.T. Barnum's house in Connecticut.

4) Ogonquit, ME. Look at the Maine-New Hampshire border, it's the third town up. It has a picturesque inner harbor called Perkins Cove. Not worth it as a destination but if you're traveling along I-95 take a look.

5) Cape Ann is the horn of land above Cape Cod. Same stuff without the intensity.

6) Remember, it's all about the colors of the Autumn season (second weekend of October).

7) Acadia Nat'l Park is beautiful.

I'll think more. Kira

Consider New Hamshire..... White Mountains area.....Kancamangus Highway, Many Waterfalls and mountain views...... Mount Washington, hiking trails ,cog railway, with the weather station at the top. If you're really adventurous, try driving the Mount Washington Auto Road. Also, North Conway has some wonderful restaurants and B&B's.

Oh.... I live in Connecticut, no financial connections (to New Hampshire).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rat407
Not a city but Bar Harbor Maine is really cool.

This was my first opinion. I would also recommend Conway/Gorham or Franconia area' of White Mountains NH. Saranak lake was mentioned and it's a great place. Pretty quiet though, only hustle and bustle (and it's not much) is 1 town north (Lake Placid). I have property 1 town south in Tupper Lake but there isn't much there. Just great bodies of water and hiking trails.

If you look at North Woodstock NH the Woodstock INN is a good place to stay. Close to some very scenic areas (Franconia Notch (tram up Cannon Mt); Crawford Notch; Pinkham Notch; and Kangamangus Highway).

Visit Canada and extend your buying power by 30%+ due to weak Canadian dollar.

Halifax Nova Scotia or Charlottetown PEI my 2 recommendations.

Need a passport though .....

Just went to Portland, Maine in may. My daughter got her grad degree at UNE. Went to this lighthouse. Nice park around it. Old fortress etc. Kind of a sunny/misty day. It was also my first time to the East Coast.

Have fun wherever you go!

She was living in Portland, OR, then moved to Portland, Maine... kind of ironic........
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
+1 for Portland ME; you can snap 'another photo' of the most photographed lighthouse in the world. Authentic maritime city with a great downtown.

It is the city from which the other Portland derives its name.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Visit Canada and extend your buying power by 30%+ due to weak Canadian dollar.

Halifax Nova Scotia or Charlottetown PEI my 2 recommendations.

Need a passport though .....

+1 living in New England thinking of visting Quebec City again. I'd recommend Quebec City if CA interests you also.

Wrong time of year we are hot, humid, and very dry right now.

If you want English weather you have to wait until October at least.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Wrong time of year we are hot, humid, and very dry right now.

If you want English weather you have to wait until October at least.

Especially if you live on the South Shore. Is every bit as bad as Florida when hot.

However. OP: Visit Boston, then Quincy.

They are right next to each other and, depending on what you are looking for, you will find it.

New England is nice, I have been as far north as "Pepperell, Mass." At the MA/NH border. Never been into NH, though..

Boston is probably my favorite city in the U.S. It is the only city I have lived close to (not in, but it was easy to get to, any which way) that I would use the word: Awesome. Not so much the people, but the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back