4 day work week

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would doubt the productivity increase. Working four tens means you have to have part timers filling in the gaps. Sick calls and vacations become a problem. I've seen and experienced this in healthcare where 10 and 12 hour shifts are more common. When a sick call came in it was easier to ask someone to work OT and have another person come in to split that vacant shift. Now you have two tired workers.

This really depends on many factors. The size of the business, whether it's a regular business open ten hours a day or a 24/7/365 operation and much more. Making a blanket statement as the BBC did here is not telling the entire story.

25 yrs at a WalMart Distribution Center working 4 10 hr days, off Sat,Sun,Mon. love the long weekends, must be working as we have been the #1 DC in the country for 10 yrs and running.
cheers3.gif

I don't know about increasing productivity, but when I worked 3rds at a 24/7/365 place I did 1 14hr shift, 2 12hr shifts, and 4 days off. It was awesome, I felt like I was working part time with full time hours.

I worked 4 10's for a long time many years ago.
M,T,W,TH, off F,S,Su, M, then T,W,Th,F repeat.
Every other week end was 4 days off.
Glorious.
5 day work weeks blow.

Well with real estate, sometimes you work 7 days a week. But the hours are more flexible and sometimes you only really spend an hour or two actually working during the day.

I think it has much to do with the nature of the work, in many ways. Self-guided work? Critical to interact with others? Recurring tasks? Etc.

Ive never been a huge fan, though I like the concept of perpetual long weekends. There's just always an opportunity to miss something. Sure, it's only a day or three until you're back, but again, depending upon the nature of work, that can be important.

I actually think that 4x10 with the day off NOT being Friday might be the best, especially itsits T,W or R, and you can get some stuff done.

Depends on the job imo and whether or not your day off is always a Mon or Friday. Year ago I worked this schedule and sometimes we had to take a Weds off. It was ok, but living in a big city having a weekday off didn't really do much for me because I still had the schedule my day around rush hour (AM/PM)

Originally Posted by PimTac
I would doubt the productivity increase. Working four tens means you have to have part timers filling in the gaps.

Not necessarily. I worked a job for 7 years where I only worked 4 days a week. It was afternoon shift, Monday to Thursday for 9 hours per day (although for most of those times we were so busy that I worked overtime every single day, usually 11-12 hour days) Some people worked Tuesday to Friday instead, so there was always coverage, no need for part timers to fill in the gap.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
I think it has much to do with the nature of the work, in many ways. Self-guided work? Critical to interact with others? Recurring tasks? Etc.

Ive never been a huge fan, though I like the concept of perpetual long weekends. There's just always an opportunity to miss something. Sure, it's only a day or three until you're back, but again, depending upon the nature of work, that can be important.

I actually think that 4x10 with the day off NOT being Friday might be the best, especially itsits T,W or R, and you can get some stuff done.

This is a good point. I worked in a hospital and had every other weekend off. The weekends were more for pleasure and family and I used the weekdays off to take care of errands and maintenance.

Anyone that is working a solid schedule with no changes is to be considered lucky. Many people cannot depend on that kind of schedule.

Things that make work schedules uncertain like rotating shifts or short schedules are counterproductive in my opinion.

Originally Posted by JHZR2

For those who didn't bother reading the article, the 3rd day off is Wednesday. It created a "second Monday" where ppl are refreshed and ready to go accomplish things. They said a longer weekend would cause ppl to party harder and har different effects.

4 day work week was great back when i was not self employed. I had Monday-Weds off each week. The reason most companies don't do 4x10s is due to the fact that many lazy workers cannot stay productive for 10 hours in a single day. If you don't have great work ethic and energy you will be just wasting that last hour or two or three.

Originally Posted by dareo
4 day work week was great back when i was not self employed. I had Monday-Weds off each week. The reason most companies don't do 4x10s is due to the fact that many lazy workers cannot stay productive for 10 hours in a single day. If you don't have great work ethic and energy you will be just wasting that last hour or two or three.
You also need a lot of food and would probably need another break if you were on your feet all day. If you worked from 7-1, had lunch and worked till 5 it would not be so bad.

7-5 ain't so bad, especially if you had a long weekend to look forward to. The problem is if you work a physical job 10 hours a day, you aren't doing much when you get home.

I have the option to do (4) 10's at my work, but I just can't get myself to do it. I am most productive in the morning... After lunch, I have little productivity usually. I like my 7-3:15 hours each day... We have flex time, so if I want off Friday or to leave early whatever day, I can just make up the hours on another day at my leisure. Which is nice. More workplaces need to be like that, I can't go back to a fixed shift workplace, especially if they want you to work past 4... I need my evenings free away from work!

Last edited:
Ever try to find a dentist on a Friday when you have chipped a tooth? Forget it, emergency call all the time. Some professions should not close on a Friday but it seems many types of physician offices do now forcing one to use emergency care facilities at a hiher cost. Only get sick M-T

I work 5 x7hrs on an overall week the most optimal for weekly work output at full productivity always.

If I work 9-10 hr days after 2-3 day I burn out so work at 33% output at best by day 3 or 4. Not worth it.

I bill my client 40hrs/week regardless as they is what they asked for. I love my work life at 7hrs/day.

I design cloud software applications and layout work for development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back