4 day work week

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a lot of responses talking about four ten-hour days. Maybe I scanned the article too quickly, but what they are talking about is a four-day week of regular days, not ten-hour days. Productivity in an office environment takes a nosedive after about six hours - that's six hours of actual work, of course.

The night shift where I work is based on 4-10 hour days. Dayshift is 5-8hour days. We're usually working overtime, which means 11.25 hour days for nights and 5 to 10 hours Friday.

A 10yr day is like part time hours to me. I've been doing 12s for 23yrs. Continuous operation shift work though. Like said, this is different from normal business hour situations like (I believe) this four 10hr thing is all about.

If there's no OT, we do a 36hr week, then a 48, then 36, etc.. Pretty rare to not have a lot of 60+ hr weeks mixed in throughout the year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by grampi
I'd like to know who came up with the 5 day work week in the first place. When are we supposed to have time for our families? The 4 day work week should've been the norm from the get go...

As far as I know it used to be 6 days work week until recently (in humanity's term, within the last 100 years).

Originally Posted by DBMaster
There are a lot of responses talking about four ten-hour days. Maybe I scanned the article too quickly, but what they are talking about is a four-day week of regular days, not ten-hour days. Productivity in an office environment takes a nosedive after about six hours - that's six hours of actual work, of course.

I live by the premise of working 35hrs and find filler for the other 1 hr/day to manage 40 paid hours.

If I work three 9hr days I am fully useless by day 4 and into 5. My job is brains no physical.

I'd think both the productivity and your ability to execute your job over a 4 day week depends on the organization and the industry. I've worked for companies where a 4 day day work week doesn't support the field enough even if you're working 14 hour shifts for those days. I've worked for other companies where they implemented a 4 day work week for strictly economic reasons and didn't really care about the employees. In one instance, they needed to hire three more people in the department but due to other factors had mandatory OT and brought in contract workers instead and eventually let all the senior people go and re-hired new, experienced staff at a lower salary. It seems to me the backdrops for implementing a 4 day work week and the actual results can vary greatly for the organization and the individual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back