4-cylinder vs 6-cylinder engine on new highlander?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my ex wiped out our V6 Highlander Limited and we found the I4 once we knew they were totaling it so I've owned both, both have merits but the I4 is super nice. If I were in the market here and now, 2500 miles on the I system per month rest heavy city I'd load up a nice I4 Highlander 2WD.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
my ex wiped out our V6 Highlander Limited and we found the I4 once we knew they were totaling it so I've owned both, both have merits but the I4 is super nice. If I were in the market here and now, 2500 miles on the I system per month rest heavy city I'd load up a nice I4 Highlander 2WD.

The 06 you have is not the same SUV as the 2014+. Its considerably smaller and less heavy and not exactly comparable. The only commonality is the nameplates.

I own a 2015 Highlander V6. It's my wife's DD.

Get the V6. No question.

We test drove the 4 cylinder, and yes, it's adequate, smooth enough, and I'm sure will handle whatever you throw at it. But then we drove the V6 and it was a no brainer, especially since the MPG difference was insignificant (like 1mpg) and we were coming from a Camry SE with the the 2GR-FE. That engine almost seemed like overkill in the Camry. It was very powerful. In the Highlander, compared to the 4cyl, it just makes for a better driving experience. Non-arguably a smoother, quieter, quicker, and just as fuel effecient driving machine.

We recently took it on a 800 mile round trip drive and averaged 26.1 mpg, and that was loaded with 2 grown-ups, a 5 month old and ALLLLLL the things that going on a vacation with a baby includes
wink.gif

PS: just a side note: we love the Highlander. We stepped up to an SUV because of our growing family. It swallows cargo like a champ. It's the perfect step in height, good visibility all the way around, nice fit and finish, awesome middle seat with tons of room. 3rd row seat is tiny...def for kids only. But we usually just keep it down and load of the back. You made a great choice choosing the Highlnader OP, and if you can, get the V6. You won't regret it.

Originally Posted By: madRiver

The 06 you have is not the same SUV as the 2014+. Its considerably smaller and less heavy and not exactly comparable. The only commonality is the nameplates.

+1

2007 3784 lbs.
2013 4045 lbs.
2016 4508 lbs.

O.K., I'd still take a hard look at the 4..that has to be the largest car available with a 4.

2007 3784 lbs.
2013 4045 lbs.
2016 4508 lbs.

O.K., I'd still take a hard look at the 4..that has to be the largest car available with a 4.

Holy [censored]!! While most automakers work on shedding weight, Toyota has piled 800 some odd pounds onto their great and butter SUV.

since my Highlander generation Toyota put in a bigger 4 (+30hp) be interesting to drive one..bet it's just fine.

4,134 to 4,508 lbs is the weight of the 2016 Highlander. That's a bit much for a 4 cylinder engine.

I have no doubts that engine, properly maintained, will outlast the vehicle. However, I do think it will be annoying when loaded up and going up long hills.

Consider this: The four-cylinder Highlander LE is rated to tow up to 1,500 pounds, the V6 is rated to tow 5000.

Last edited:
round here we go up or down 400 ft. so 3,000lbs. would be no issue, unibody and brakes being equal.

With the weight and box shape of this vehicle, I hardly doubt there is any significant fuel consumption difference between the 4 and 6 pot engines. I can't imagine the frustration of having the 4 cylinder pull this 4500 lb beast unloaded. The only situation where I can see the 4 cylinder even remotely make sense is in 100% city/soccer mom duty.

Unless and until you have driven one, your opinion means nothing...it's just white noise.

Note that the same engine had no trouble whatsoever hauling around a 2.5-ton 4Runner. (And note that it has MORE power than the V6 used in pickups & 4Runners until 1995, and is only 10HP shy of the later DOHC 3.4 V6.)

I don't have to drive one to know that at about 185hp and 185lb-ft of torque coming in at about 4.5k RPM it will be a dog that will barely get out of its own way at almost no difference in MPG. This is the new one I'm talking about.
This kind of performance is suitable for mid size sedans, not heavy SUVs in today's market.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Unless and until you have driven one, your opinion means nothing...it's just white noise.

Note that the same engine had no trouble whatsoever hauling around a 2.5-ton 4Runner. (And note that it has MORE power than the V6 used in pickups & 4Runners until 1995, and is only 10HP shy of the later DOHC 3.4 V6.)

My workmate drags around a 4k rv trailer with a 4wd 190hp 3.4 tacoma with its 4spd auto and they aren't looking for more hp until this truck is rusted out...
People can get what they want, but I think the highlander with a 4 cyl with VVT and a wide ratio 6 spd will still be a sub 10 second 0-60 vehicle, and while not fast, still capable of getting the job done well enough.
That said, for the $1200 difference, that you'll get back on trading it in, getting the V6 does make more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back