Are 4 cylinder versions of cars with other engine types usually in smaller supply at junkyards?

I went out to lkq to get some small stuff for my car which is a 4 cylinder. In the end there was only maybe 2 of my engine type, but then lots of V6 versions.

As I started to think harder, I realized I saw the same scenario at another junkyard.

It makes me feel like I ought to avoid the 4 cyls in the future. Especially considering how much of a pain it is when you gotta find ultra random parts for a older car and the fact I drive my stuff till it rots out.

Apparently there's a price inversion when beaters reach a certain age. The 4 cyl 1999 Camry is (maybe) worth more than the V6 due to its miserly fuel consumption and ease of maintenance. And old Avalons, which are all V6s, are cheaper still than Camrys.

You'd have to look at, statistically, how many new 4 cylinders were made in a given year. With Cutlass Cieras, for example, most were V6s and some years they didn't even offer a 4.

Finally, it's up to the junkyard operator as to which cars get crushed and which stick around because their parts are valuable.

One factor-many 4 cylinders have TIMING CHAINS starting in the early to mid ‘00s, while V6 versions kept timing belts up until recent history. Most “beater” drivers have trouble affording gas, much less anything else-and there sure isn’t $1K laying around for a timing belt job on an otherwise running hoopty. Then the belt breaks…

I would guess any "standard" engine, be it a 4 or 6 cylinder for a particular model would be the most common and have the greater demand in a boneyard..

I think it also depends on the type of vehicle.

For instance, Toyota offered the 2.7 I4 in the 2010 4Runner for a couple years and it was a very low take rate. The majority had the 4.0 V6.

Same with the latest generation Chevy Impala. The majority had the 3.6 V6 as opposed to the 2.5 I4. Chevy even offered the V6 as a stand-alone option on trim levels that had the standard I4.

Also, anyone remember the Infiniti G25? The 2.5 V6 was used in response to the high gas prices in 2008. I’ve only seen a handful of G25’s. The overwhelming majority are G37’s with the 3.7 V6.

There are many other examples of this as well.

Might there be a regional factor? More V6's sent to mountainous locals?
Back in RWD days I heard "Florida cars" came with higher rear axle ratios. Any truth?

Also, didn't rental companies prefer V6's because they could boast providing powerful vehicles and V6's auctioned off more easily?

Post auction, more V6's in the stream.

Also, didn't rental companies prefer V6's because they could boast providing powerful vehicles and V6's auctioned off more easily?
Both my 92 Cutlass Ciera and Wife's 93 Corsica were stripper models with V6s and little else. They had RPO codes that basically meant "rental special." Back then the rental agencies were closely tied to the manufacturers, and would rent cars for 6000 miles before returning them as "program cars" to be sold at a nice discount compared to new.

Post auction, more V6's in the stream.
Rental companies don’t give a hoot about it having a large engine or not. They like having a mix so they can please a wide range of renters.

4 cylinder for the eco conscious renter? Check.
Higher performance engine for the renters who wants the best performance? Check.

It’s a mix to cater to a large renter base.

I have no idea what the actual statistics look like, but it certainly seems that there are more anecdotal examples of (for example) Honda V6 equipped cars/minivans blowing up transmissions vs. I4 versions. A dead transmission is probably a common reason for a vehicle to end up at a recycler.

Apparently there's a price inversion when beaters reach a certain age. The 4 cyl 1999 Camry is (maybe) worth more than the V6 due to its miserly fuel consumption and ease of maintenance. And old Avalons, which are all V6s, are cheaper still than Camrys.

You'd have to look at, statistically, how many new 4 cylinders were made in a given year. With Cutlass Cieras, for example, most were V6s and some years they didn't even offer a 4.

Finally, it's up to the junkyard operator as to which cars get crushed and which stick around because their parts are valuable.
Yes, it is all about statistics. Take for example 2015-2017 Chrysler Model 200s. 5 to 1 4 cylinder vs V6.

If you want on old Jeep that is untouched, they tend to be 4cyl. They are less beat and we’re less desirable, but weren’t junked because they keep on going like the 6cyl versions.

Maybe the 6cyl cars are beat harder by the younger folks who end up with them, but 4 cyl are bought by long term, more conservative drivers who take care of them?

Rental companies don’t give a hoot about it having a large engine or not. They like having a mix so they can please a wide range of renters.

4 cylinder for the eco conscious renter? Check.
Higher performance engine for the renters who wants the best performance? Check.

It’s a mix to cater to a large renter base.
Huh? No not at all. Unless it's some joyride where a sports car is wanted, rental car customers tend to just pick based on type/size/price of vehicle. Check out popular rental websites, often the choice doesn't even include all vehicle specs like engine.

Here's a deep thought question. WHY are you buying junkyard engine parts where it would matter if an I4 or V6?

Junkyards are great for cheap parts that nobody but the OEM makes/sells, body and cabin etc, but for wear items that you have to replace due to that, it's time to seek new parts. If you have something specific in mind, I could be wrong......... There are always exceptions to the rule but most parts related to which engine a vehicle has, I want new not JY pulls.

For instance, Toyota offered the 2.7 I4 in the 2010 4Runner for a couple years and it was a very low take rate. The majority had the 4.0 V6.
I did not know this was ever a thing! Thank you for this info. I know overseas they got the Prado with the 2.7L (as well as 4x4 and manual transmission), but to me Toyota Land Cruiser Prado looks more like Lexus GX than a Toyota 4Runner. Always looked at that generation 4Runner as a standalone US model. Now I'll be scanning the used market often for the 2010ish Toyota 4Runner with the 2.7L inline four... Yes, I'm that 0.0032% of people who would take the 2TR over 1GR.

Back