4-cylinder vs 6-cylinder engine on new highlander?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Wow, first they drop the V6 from the Rav4, now this. Get the V6, atleast for the sake of resale value.

This is nothing new...Toyota has been offering a 4 cylinder Highlander ever since it was introduced in 2000 (01' model year).

The HP and torque of our '13 Honda CR-V is vitually identical to the Highlander LE.

I consider the 4cyl power of the Honda adequate,but its also in a vehicle 700lbs lighter than the Toyota.

I don't believe I'd be happy with a 4cyl Highlander.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Then something is wrong with the Camry.

To the OP: drive the 4-banger. If it performs acceptably, buy it.

Is this directed at me? It's pretty obvious what is "wrong". 160 horsepower pulling about 3,300 lbs plus 700 - 800 lbs of passengers and luggage and most people will notice a big difference.

My lowly Impala with slightly more curb weight and 300 horsepower V6 barely notices the added weight. So yeah I guess there is something "wrong" with the Camry! LOL

"Performing acceptably" is a very subjective thing.

Last edited:
The toyota website only has the V6 costing $1200 more?
Maybe what you could look for is a left over 4cyl 2015 and get it for $4-5k less?
I don't mind the 4cyl in the CRV at all, buts only down 30hp and is 800lbs lighter. It downshifts alot as it runs only 1800rpm at 55mph but the engine only gets noticeable above 3k and not loud until its at 5k.
If the trans is programmed well, you would think 185hp would be enough to get around in a brisk fashion? I find that all these 5-6 spd trans shift all the time in the city anyways, no matter what engine they have.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
Wow, first they drop the V6 from the Rav4, now this. Get the V6, atleast for the sake of resale value.

This is nothing new...Toyota has been offering a 4 cylinder Highlander ever since it was introduced in 2000 (01' model year).

Its a loss leader to show a lower MSRP. Interestingly enough Toyota does not deem this combination adequate for their Sienna and dropped it from the recent generation.

Our 2010 Subie 2.5L is a 4 cyl with 170hp and weighs about 3300lb. It does just fine loaded, thru the mountains, etc. And it only has a 4 speed auto.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Add lightness.
Corner weight.
Optimise gear set & diff.

Umm, yeah sure, on a brand new vehicle he's going to do that.

4 banger is probably 300lbs. lighter, quicker on it's feet, better mpg especially city, plenty of power at hwy. rpms., easy tow 3,000 or less.

I own one.

Did you even read the original post?!

If this was in reference to my post,the op said he is "worried" about 4 cyl engines whereas I said Japanese 4 cyl's seem to last forever. My "US V8" comment was basically to enhance my opinion about the strength of Japanese 4 cyl engines feeling that they're superior to US 4 cyl's (where I feel US's strength is in their V8's) reinforcing the op to not be apprehensive about owning a Toyota w/4 cyl engine.

have you guys even seen the size of the new highlander. its huge. get the v6! dropping the v6 from the rave 4 was a good thing. its not needed but the highlander has gotten too big. v6 a must

Nope, after 2 I4s the 285 hp V6 Camry I have now has very enjoyable power. In normal conditions it seldom turns over 2000 rpm.

Originally Posted By: hypervish

Before I posted that I checked what the engine options were in the 2008, and they did not offer a 4cyl when they turned the highlander into a bigger SUV. But more googling shows they did bring the 2.7 back in that generation. I have to say, I've never seen one.

I have had 7 Toyota products.

Rav4 - 4 cyl
Corolla - 4 cyl
Camry - either one (but I would get the V6)
4 Runner V6
Avalon V6
Highlander V6
Taco- V6

Tundra platform V8

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

Nope, after 2 I4s the 285 hp V6 Camry I have now has very enjoyable power. In normal conditions it seldom turns over 2000 rpm.

I drove one with a 4 a couple years ago...plenty of power, even with 4 people in the car. It had no trouble holding 75MPH even up a 5% grade.

Generally I find more powerful vehicles longer lasting because you simply get a quieter/smoother engine. As it ages it seems the coarseness and noise becomes more pronounced with 4 cylinders pushing you over the edge to buy something else.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

I drove one with a 4 a couple years ago...plenty of power, even with 4 people in the car. It had no trouble holding 75MPH even up a 5% grade.

As long as you downshift a couple of times.

I've noticed mine has had an issue on this one 8% hill; it's a back road so the limit is 55 or so (which means 60mph). Need to go down 2 gears to have tepid acceleration, and it must be wound out. And that's not with four adults, and not with a power-sapping automatic, in a lighter Camry.

If I could hit the hill faster I bet it'd be a different story.

No doubt, the I4 will get the job done. But it'll downshift, and that will bug some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back