Are 4 cylinder versions of cars with other engine types usually in smaller supply at junkyards?

Here's a deep thought question. WHY are you buying junkyard engine parts where it would matter if an I4 or V6?

Junkyards are great for cheap parts that nobody but the OEM makes/sells, body and cabin etc, but for wear items that you have to replace due to that, it's time to seek new parts. If you have something specific in mind, I could be wrong......... There are always exceptions to the rule but most parts related to which engine a vehicle has, I want new not JY pulls.
That's exactly what this was dude. THE exception.

One of the parts I grabbed was an electrical connector. It totally doesn't exist on the V6 version of my engine and there's no way I could've found it new if I wanted to.

At least in the junkyards I go to, most of the cars there are in there because they've been wrecked. So logic suggests that if the car was available with two engine options, the ratio in the junkyard closely resembles the ratio of cars sold V6 vs. 4-cyl.

I did not know this was ever a thing! Thank you for this info. I know overseas they got the Prado with the 2.7L (as well as 4x4 and manual transmission), but to me Toyota Land Cruiser Prado looks more like Lexus GX than a Toyota 4Runner. Always looked at that generation 4Runner as a standalone US model. Now I'll be scanning the used market often for the 2010ish Toyota 4Runner with the 2.7L inline four... Yes, I'm that 0.0032% of people who would take the 2TR over 1GR.
I tried to talk my son into buying one with a 2.7 that was a Southern truck. He turned his nose up at it. I strongly considered buying it myself. He bought one with a 4.0 and a bad frame. It’s since become a parts truck for his good Southern found 4.0 truck and his winter beater.

The turtle may be slow, but it still gets there!

That's exactly what this was dude. THE exception.

One of the parts I grabbed was an electrical connector. It totally doesn't exist on the V6 version of my engine and there's no way I could've found it new if I wanted to.
What make/model/year? Did you ask in a forum dedicated to owners of that generation vehicle? That's where the guys who have had to solve this already, would be found.

What happened to the original connector? At times I've bought new pins for a connector, if they were too corroded to refurbish, though often some sandpaper and some silver solder plating will do the trick. Maybe this too, is merely generalizing, depends a lot on the specifics. If you want a solution for something specific, it's best to mention those specifics.

Regardless, yeah your best bet at junkyard parts is buying the most common vehicle config. There are people out there who had special ordered a vehicle with manual windows instead of power windows, thinking it was one less thing to go wrong, then when the day came that their manual windows broke, they found the junkyard was full of power window parts but manual specific, not so much.

"Regardless, yeah your best bet at junkyard parts is buying the most common vehicle config. There are people out there who had special ordered a vehicle with manual windows instead of power windows, thinking it was one less thing to go wrong, then when the day came that their manual windows broke, they found the junkyard was full of power window parts but manual specific, not so much."

I just had this very thing happen. The current owner is now thinking of converting to aftermarket power windows. Commented that he should have gotten them when he bought the car new 10 years ago.

Back