RESTORE ENGINE RESTORE - 4 Cylinder

USE EXTREME CAUTION when adding this product to your oil.
2016 Ford Fiesta SE 1.6L
No where on the can does it say not to use with V V T engines.
Just had my oil changed. Added a can of Restore 4 Cylinder. Within 10 mintes the check engine light came on.
Restore clogged my V V T Solenoids. $400 in repairs.

Interesting. May I ask what led you to put this in your engine? Is it high mileage with poor compression?

Yes. High mileage. Car was acting sluggish. Recommendation was to add Restore to the oil.
I wish I had researched "Restore and V V T Solenoids" before I added it instead of just reading general reviews.

Last edited:
For worn out old school engines Restore is a pretty good product that squeezes a little more life out of them. But for these newer ones that require the 0W-whatever oils, I don't mess with any additive. The only exception is maybe a bottle of AT-205 to help with old seals.

2016 Ford Fiesta SE 1.6L
Just had my oil changed. Added a can of Restore 4 Cylinder. Within 10 mintes the check engine light came on.
Well, one of the links you posted said: "The bottle specifically says not to use it in a VVT vehicle, and I'm fairly certain the Prius is VVT"

Maybe your bottle didn't have that warning?

Well, one of the links you posted said: "The bottle specifically says not to use it in a VVT vehicle, and I'm fairly certain the Prius is VVT"

Maybe your bottle didn't have that warning?
No where on the bottle does it specify not to use is a V V T vehicle.
I had purchased two bottles. One I used and one I kept for future use. No where did it say that. I specifically checked.
Yes, I returned the unused bottle.
I do not have a Prius.

Did the VVT solenoid screens get clogged up causing the issue?
Reason I asked is because the Equinox I service had an intake VVT solenoid screen get blocked after a delayed OCI. Short trip, low miles a year vehicle coming from dealership oil changes, switch by me to mobil-1.

Did the VVT solenoid screens get clogged up causing the issue?
Reason I asked is because the Equinox I service had an intake VVT solenoid screen get blocked after a delayed OCI. Short trip, low miles a year vehicle coming from dealership oil changes, switch by me to mobil-1.
Yep. I replaced both solenoids. We thought maybe we could clean them out, but the car has higher mileage so instead of riskign it, we just replaced them.

Thanks for the warning. I'm wondering if we'll see these complaints about Valvoline's new cleaning oil they've launched but I'd assume that this product is much more potent & has the cleaning ability, in short time, to really clog something up. Happy to hear that you got it fixed though.

I have a bottle I dumped in my plow truck... 85 w250 318, poster child for the stuff.

Bottle just read not to use it on 7.3 Powerstrokes, LOL.
Interesting! Since you're already aware that the 6.0L uses oil as a hydraulic too on the injectors I find this exclusion odd. That it just lists the 7.3L. 🤷‍♂️

I used Restore one time on a worn out smoking tractor. It did absolutely nothing. Junk product IMHO.

2016 Ford Fiesta SE 1.6L
This stuff is a slurry of soft metals designed to fill scores in the walls of heavily worn/abused engines; engines on their death bed, allowing them go another few miles.

This is like giving meth to somebody in a nursing home with a heart condition and bum knees. Sure, they might be able to get up and move around a bit, but they are still close to dying and now you've just made them dependent on meth.

Back