4 bangers- Love'em or Hate'm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
see, I dont quite understand the point of an undersized v6... My impression was that inline engines are superior for torque delivery... maybe not.
(...snip...)
JMH

I'm thinking Lexus went this way for possibly two reasons. First, the six-cyl, even in "V" configuration vice the "I" sings a sweeter song than an I-4 can, especially when Lexus tuning is involved. The second reason, I suspect, is pure snob appeal -- the idea that for some buyers (the especially vain crowd) it's important to have something other than a "mere" four-cylinder "economy car" engine in your Lexus. I certainly could be wrong about that, and almost hope that I am, but I suspect that's part of the equasion here too.

quote:

Lexus is now selling a version of the IS series, the IS-250, with a tiny V-6, that in most respects, mimics the essential qualities of a modern I-4.

This is not a new idea. Both Ford and Mazda had a 2.5L DOHC V6 engine in 1995 which put out about 170HP. It wasn't the same engine, Ford and Mazda independently started working on a small V6 engine.

Then Ford took their version, let SVT work on it, and ended up with a 200HP version that found it's way into the SVT Contour.

Brian:

I almost bought a 2.5L V-6 Contour about ten years ago. Since that time, we've seen the V-6s evolving into larger and larger "standard" designs. I've been wondering for some time just how much "more" this class of engine really needs. It is noteworthy, IMO, that at this time, Toyota/Lexus (which sold the original ES Lexus with a 2.5L V-6) has suddenly headed back in the "smaller" direction with this car. In contrast, the only V-6 now available in the mainstream Camry is a 3.5L.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back