375 mile Day Trip in the Maverick.

Hermann

Site Donor 2023
Took a 375 mile trip yesterday in the Maverick yesterday. My lady friend and I left NE Kansas City metro at 10 am and headed east on MO 210 Hwy. Our destination was Columbia MO via the back roads. Took MO 210 hwy to US 65 Northwards for a few miles. Then onto US 240 to Glasgow MO. Took MO Hwy 5 to and thru Fayette, MO to US 40 . Took US 40 and I-70 into Columbia for about 15 miles. The road from Glasgow to Fayette on Hwy 5 is riddled ((y)) with long duration higher speed sweepers. The newly installed Strut Tower brace made these fun. A few of the curves were off camber which always adds to the fun. Had the nannies interfering a time or two.:)

Arrived at our destination for a Greek Pizza at Arris Pizza. Below is a par-baked take home for the future.

1686513028066.jpeg1686513155306.jpeg
The pizza was wonderful as usual. I grew up with this style of pizza. The crust is light and crispy. And made with care with fresh ingredients. $30 for both pizzas with Greek Sausage and Pepperoni . My lady friend had a Gyro sandwich. They meat was tender and tasty, I snuck a piece. We had Bread Pudding with Ice Cream for dessert.

We took I-70 back to Kansas City and just past the I-70 and US 65 Jct. the heavens opened up and poured on us for 30 miles at speeds below 35mph or so. A few minutes were under 10 mph. Everyone had their flashers on just to be seen. The truck did well and experienced no hydroplaning. Traction control and Slippery Mode did their job well. MPG for the day was 41.6 When we got home there was not a single bug left on the front of the truck and got a heck of a truck wash. Had other stops during the day but this is a family friendly forum.

Thanks for reading, it was a fun day for a couple of young retirees.

Last edited:
I had a 1972 Maverick Grabber. Even with the Polyglas Tires of the day, it would have crashed on some of the off cambers. :LOL: :D :giggle:
One of my medical school classmates had a Maverick Grabber. Nice car. His next car (after completing his residency) was a Porsche 911.

Sadly not too long after that he went to bed with "indigestion" and died during the night of a heart attack. "Indigestion" can be the presenting symptom of an acute MI. But considering his young age (he was only about 30 years old, and his specialty- gastroenterology) it's easy to see how he made that mistake.

I'm 65 and alway default to the cars when I hear the name Maverick. Cousin had one. V8 auto with air shocks and fat tires is all I can remember..Oh and the smoke {from the tires} .LOL

Your Road trip sounds cool.

Sometimes it nice to just take off and have a little road trip. It sounds as if you had a great little adventure with your lady friend. 😉
It’s nice to hear that you’re pleased with the performance of the Maverick as well. 👍🍻

Sometimes it nice to just take off and have a little road trip. It sounds as if you had a great little adventure with your lady friend. 😉
It’s nice to hear that you’re pleased with the performance of the Maverick as well. 👍🍻
Amen on your first paragraph, Our only real plan for the day was going to Arris'. Everything else was impromptu. Bought the Maverick for the frugality, surprized by its handling capabilities and the amount of power it has, because I expected an econobox with power stuff.

Took a 375 mile trip yesterday in the Maverick yesterday. My lady friend and I left NE Kansas City metro at 10 am and headed east on MO 210 Hwy. Our destination was Columbia MO via the back roads. Took MO 210 hwy to US 65 Northwards for a few miles. Then onto US 240 to Glasgow MO. Took MO Hwy 5 to and thru Fayette, MO to US 40 . Took US 40 and I-70 into Columbia for about 15 miles. The road from Glasgow to Fayette on Hwy 5 is riddled ((y)) with long duration higher speed sweepers. The newly installed Strut Tower brace made these fun. A few of the curves were off camber which always adds to the fun. Had the nannies interfering a time or two.:)

Arrived at our destination for a Greek Pizza at Arris Pizza. Below is a par-baked take home for the future.

View attachment 160703View attachment 160705
The pizza was wonderful as usual. I grew up with this style of pizza. The crust is light and crispy. And made with care with fresh ingredients. $30 for both pizzas with Greek Sausage and Pepperoni . My lady friend had a Gyro sandwich. They meat was tender and tasty, I snuck a piece. We had Bread Pudding with Ice Cream for dessert.

We took I-70 back to Kansas City and just past the I-70 and US 65 Jct. the heavens opened up and poured on us for 30 miles at speeds below 35mph or so. A few minutes were under 10 mph. Everyone had their flashers on just to be seen. The truck did well and experienced no hydroplaning. Traction control and Slippery Mode did their job well. MPG for the day was 41.6 When we got home there was not a single bug left on the front of the truck and got a heck of a truck wash. Had other stops during the day but this is a family friendly forum.

Thanks for reading, it was a fun day for a couple of young retirees.
🤤+(y)+💲(save)

Last edited:
Back