3614 Filter Recall.....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was astonished today to find my local WM completely wiped out of their 3614 filters.....no PH, no TG, no XGs......not even any "ST"s.....went up to their automotive desk, and they said ALL of their FRAM filters were recalled per Honeywell or somesuch....?

The only one's "not affected" were the SuperTech 3614 filters....which obviously were out of stock since they were likely using them out in the shop :p

Cause yea, they said even their "PRO" (the FRAM "Fleet Pack" - unboxed filters...to "save money" for shop use I guess) line of filters were affected by the recall.

Supposidely the filters were not "manufactured to spec" and did not have proper fitment on "some vehicles" - the notice did not call out any vehicles in particular though......since I am a regular there, usually have them service my car(s); they showed me the notice.

So be on the look out....

Don't know if it's "only" FRAM/Honeywell, or across other manufacturers as well? Kind of freaks me out, cause my car uses the 3614 filter....and have had at least 2 of those filters on my car, no leaks, no flickering oil light, etc....though...

Yeah I saw this recall today at work. Briefly looked over the recall , seems it only affected certain PH3614 filters built withing a certain time period. Seems that the baseplate to the can weld was not good enough or something. I only looked at it like for 20 seconds so didnt get all the details, ill look into it further tomorrow. When I saw it I thought so thats whats going on at the FRAM proving grounds lol.

Originally Posted By: Thax
Yeah I saw this recall today at work. Briefly looked over the recall , seems it only affected certain PH3614 filters built withing a certain time period. Seems that the baseplate to the can weld was not good enough or something. I only looked at it like for 20 seconds so didnt get all the details, ill look into it further tomorrow. When I saw it I thought so thats whats going on at the FRAM proving grounds lol.

This is the info I got as well. "Can leakage" was what I was told and I could only think of one place that is possible.
A new batch is being sent out 10/17 so they should be on the shelves shortly thereafter.

only one place they could leak...?

lol no way could it be the cardboard end caps
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
I just bought one today .... How can I know if mine was recalled?

See above, it's the pro packs that get it. They are a slightly different design from the ones you buy one at a time in consumer boxes.

IIRC the pros have a bar code painted right on the can.

....When I saw it I thought so thats whats going on at the FRAM proving grounds lol.

OOPS! This of batch of orange cans must have slipped past the "Fram Proving Grounds".
blush.gif
Proving, it's back to the drawing board for the "Proving Grounds". J/K

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
My oreilly still has them on the shelf should I be concerned

If you are truly concerned about it call Fram's customer number they can tell you if your filter is defective , another option is to not use a OCOD, at O'reilly the WIX filters are only 2 bucks more and much much better

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

This is the info I got as well. "Can leakage" was what I was told and I could only think of one place that is possible.
A new batch is being sent out 10/17 so they should be on the shelves shortly thereafter.
Yeah new batch going out , I really dont think this is a major recall or even that these filters were worse than they already were. FRAM is probably just watching their butts just in case.

Just to clear up a bit of speculation, I called in the other day to ask about it, according to fram, it was only a certain date range on the filters, and it ONLY affected the 94-97 toyota and lexus models with the 3.0L V6. Apparently there was a mid year production change on the spud (threads on the engine block where the filter screws on) and the new T-plate (metal plate on the filter with the threads) design didn't allow the gasket to seal all the way and caused a slight seepage. To remedy it, they said they were going back to the old design which had no issues with it. Also from what I was told, Wal-mart is calling it a recall, and apparently it isn't classified as one because it does not pose a safety risk.

Last edited:
Makes me trust them more not less for being honest. Its Naive to think other filter companies disclose every production problem. Companies will try to get away with whatever they can. Fram cared enough to say something. Thats a good thing.

Expect smiley faced catch phrases and useless comments from Fram haters...

Good info that it was limited to a specific engine.
It sounds like oversizing with a Fram PH3600 on that engine would be a bad idea. Im sure it is going to retain the current "new" cheaper baseplate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ahoier
Don't know if it's "only" FRAM/Honeywell, or across other manufacturers as well?

I can't think of any reason that it would be. Only Fram manufactured brands.

Originally Posted By: spalding
according to fram, it was only a certain date range on the filters, and it ONLY affected the 94-97 toyota and lexus models with the 3.0L V6.
Also from what I was told, Wal-mart is calling it a recall, and apparently it isn't classified as one because it does not pose a safety risk.
Yea, I called them up too, as all the 3614's were GONE off the shelves at my local Walmart, the SuperTech's were "sold out" (duh, cause the FRAMs got pulled....) - so I called their Live Help line, and the guy on the phone was laughing it off, cause it wasn't a "real" recall, it was walmart being "over protective" - but really, I don't blame them! Since they often pull filters off the shelf to use for their oil changes too! Spoke with one of the techs, and sure enough, about 80% of the vehicles using that filter, that they service, are Toyota's :p Just so happens, that my 88 Aries uses that same filter :p But I opted for the Bosche Distance Plus, D3330 I think it was, it was a pretty penny, $11.97 or soemthing! But I figure, I should be able to EASILY run that bad boy 2 OCIs.....lol. It's gotta be steel constructed or something, it's definitely heavier than the FRAM and ST filters I've handled in the past! haha.

Funny though, I don't recall seeing any "lot numbers" or "production numbers" on any of the FRAMs I've ever bought......so is this recall really only for their "Fleet Pack" filters?

Assuming they were still on the shelf, you could have used a Motorcraft 910s. Very good filter. That's what the local WM TLE guys are using now that all the SuperTechs (3614) are gone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back