Putting a Toyota filter on a Ford?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sure wouldn't feel good about having adequate flow area through the louvers on those two filters I posted above. Those louvers are almost completely closed, and are not going to flow very well. That in turn could cause enough delta-p across the filter to cause the filter's bypass valve to run open most of the time.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I think that makes sense.
There are also metal particles from the rough edges. Will they stay, or will they leave subjected to oil flow? Some are really rough and ragged. Wide variations on almost every filter I have looked at. See bottom louvers in pictures. Squinting louvers. I can't use that.

Yes. The first one Z posted below your post is from the 51358 I returned. Of course, if you look at a Baldwin or Hastings, you tend to see well made louvers. Then, you don't have to worry about them being a defect.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I think that makes sense.
There are also metal particles from the rough edges. Will they stay, or will they leave subjected to oil flow? Some are really rough and ragged. Wide variations on almost every filter I have looked at. See bottom louvers in pictures. Squinting louvers. I can't use that.

Yes. The first one Z posted below your post is from the 51358 I returned. Of course, if you look at a Baldwin or Hastings, you tend to see well made louvers. Then, you don't have to worry about them being a defect.
wink.gif

The one I posted is a PF1233 I cut open. At the bottom of the first picture it shows almost closed louvers, like slits. The other side of the filter the louvers are much better opened. Champ and Puro use "two scoops", two separate opposing little hooded louvers. Baldwin/Hastings uses a different machine which cuts one scoop, opened on each end of the scoop. They are better but not immune from what I don't like, the possibility of steel particle shedding from the ragged, bad cuts. Like I said many, most, louvers are not sharp cut at the edges, they are pulled open. IMO, COD had good intuition about the louvers, may he RIP.

After I saw a post here about louvers, I checked my 51358 and had that issue. I returned it no problem, and the parts guy and I went through them all on the shelf, and there might have been one other bad example. The rest were fine.

The Baldwin and Hastings example I've seen have generally been smooth, at least from what I've been able to tell. Of course, that's far from a guarantee. I'm of the general feeling that I'll use a Baldwin or Hastings without inspecting the louvers too closely, but with Wix, if it is a louvered example, I'll be checking more closely. Others have pointed out that we might be a little hasty in our judgement about flow in those cases, but hey, it's like everything else. It's not just about function. There has to be some pride in workmanship and appearance, too.

Does anyone know the bypass setting of a Toyota filter? Seems to be a unicorn to find and I've always wondered how they compare to say a MC or Fram filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back