Putting a Toyota filter on a Ford?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Any filter that crosses over to many other filters means they are all compatible filters that can be used on the same vehicle.

Z06, I have some Toyota oil filters in my shed that I bought at a yard sale a few years ago. They are 3/4-16 threads, so I know they will fit on my trucks engine. They are the size of a FRAM 3614. What do you think a Toyota bypass psi is? I'm sure they are all different, right?

That is a very good oil filter no matter what the oil filter experts on the forum think. Used that oil filter on my 04 V6 Camry for fourteen years with no problem. Made by, oh no, I can't mention that manufacturer for another nine months and nine days. Someone else knows though.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Any filter that crosses over to many other filters means they are all compatible filters that can be used on the same vehicle.

Z06, I have some Toyota oil filters in my shed that I bought at a yard sale a few years ago. They are 3/4-16 threads, so I know they will fit on my trucks engine. They are the size of a FRAM 3614. What do you think a Toyota bypass psi is? I'm sure they are all different, right?

If they are a direct cross over then there should be no issue with the bypass valve setting. I have no idea what the bypass valve is set to on Toyota filters, but if I had to guess I'd say it's around 12~14 PSI - which is what most oil filters are set to.

Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
That is a very good oil filter no matter what the oil filter experts on the forum think. Used that oil filter on my 04 V6 Camry for fourteen years with no problem. Made by, oh no, I can't mention that manufacturer for another nine months and nine days. Someone else knows though.

Picture worth 1000 words.

New boxes, if OK for Lexus, OK for me. I buy 10 for $34.50 with shipping no tax. From Toyota dealer in original sealed carton of 10. No monkey business. I'm getting rid of all 4386 size and use only these. No glue inside, no glue in engine. Clean, trouble free.

Originally Posted By: mrdctaylor
Putting a Toyota filter on a Ford?

It'll cause reverse osmosis. Don't do it.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey

Picture worth 1000 words.

New boxes, if OK for Lexus, OK for me. I buy 10 for $34.50 with shipping no tax. From Toyota dealer in original sealed carton of 10. No monkey business. I'm getting rid of all 4386 size and use only these. No glue inside, no glue in engine. Clean, trouble free.
I believe there was a cut-a-way of this oil filter sometime in the spring of 17 on this forum. Very good product.

Last edited:
I used Chevrolet-sized air filters (of multiple brands) in my Mazda for hundreds of thousands of miles with no apparent ill effects. Much better availability, similar capacity, and I made them fit.

Originally Posted By: nthach
I use the FL400S/FL910S on the two Toyota V6/V8s I change oil on. No worries.

Now if Motorcraft had a PH4386/4967-sized filter.

The Motorcraft FL-836 oil filter cross references to the PH4967....I've used them on my Corolla w/o issue. I believe they have a PH4386 cross as well.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
The air filter is more important.

PFFFFT! Yeah, right! My trucks air filter box runs COMMANDO!
laugh.gif
lol.gif
spankme2.gif
43.gif

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Gee how many hundred dollars is this going to save you an OCI?

Well now, let's look at this situation.
If a MC oil filter "just so happens" to tear, the engine could most likely come to a screeching halt! That, or it could be ejected from under the hood, land on a passing pedestrian, and you have a law suit. The 1st problem would only cost about $1K-$4K, depending what junk yard you buy the engine from. The latter, well, if you have a good lawyer, about $150K.
So, in short, don't use a MC oil filter.

Just kidding. Use the MC oil filter. I'm bound by legality to say all that jibberish up there.
50.gif

It's a good idea, the Toyota has more media and so far no defects have been found. No extra glue inside, clean, no louvers, etc.

Louvers aren't a defect. Louvers that aren't open are a defect.
wink.gif

Yep, I've actually used the 910S on my Tacoma before! Same engine and everything, no problems! It's probably one of the few decent filters with the Motorcraft label on it. The higher efficiency is more attractive, but there's nothing wrong with the OEM Toy filters either, I've used many of those without issues, typically the longer YZZD3 model for the V8 engines. I like being able to put an even 6 quarts in my engine and not have to worry about an open, broken seal bottle of oil laying around since my truck doesn't leak or burn a drop at all throughout the OCI..

Heck, I'm considering running a FL-1A/PH8A sized filter on my 1980 Toy Pickup with the 22R engine next go round. According to the FRAM website, it's got the same bypass setting as the 3614 and holds a quart extra of oil. 3614 is puny compared to that beast, and I think it'll make life easier on the oil pump shoving Rotella 15W-40 through the crankcase.

2005 - 2010 Thai denso killed one and almost two of my Toyotas.

Fabrique au Japon Denso No hay problema, highly preferred.

Thinking too much resin applied to the media.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
It's a good idea, the Toyota has more media and so far no defects have been found. No extra glue inside, clean, no louvers, etc.

Louvers aren't a defect. Louvers that aren't open are a defect.
wink.gif

I think that makes sense.
There are also metal particles from the rough edges. Will they stay, or will they leave subjected to oil flow? Some are really rough and ragged. Wide variations on almost every filter I have looked at. See bottom louvers in pictures. Squinting louvers. I can't use that.

Those aren't too bad ... these are really bad.

Are these louvers intentionally closed that much for flow restriction? It ALMOST looks like the underside of the louvers are open.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Those aren't too bad ... these are really bad.

Are these louvers intentionally closed that much for flow restriction? It ALMOST looks like the underside of the louvers are open.
21.gif

This is all
32.gif
but it isn't only the flow area, because many louvers are opened enough even if some closed, but the openings are more torn open than cut. The metal is pulled apart and it leaves a slit with rough edge. Not comfortable with that roughness in the oil flow path. Too much detail for some maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back