Fram 3614 series for OPE?

I will talk with Fram and this Zee0Six Guy tonight at our Meeting, he owes me 5 bucks, so I need to get that money 1st.
Fram is not ripping people off, they have different oil filters that have stood up to the mileage intervals for their particular oil filters.

Zee0Six, dollar bills or a $5.00 dollar bill will be fine, pennies are not welcome. If you want to give me a $10.00 bill or a $20.00 bill that is fine, realize I have no change or sense. LOL
How would one know that - most people who cut them - quit them …
The other 95% think they are getting something worth the price - which barely fits between TG (what I just put on) - and FE - what I will put on next

Last edited:
The Boss and Titaniums are both overkill filters for OPE, and still way cheaper than the OPE branded filters. I've always said the OPE filters are fine, nothing wrong with them, they just aren't a good value. I was in Tractor Supply this weekend and happened to go down the OPE aisle. There wasn't an oil filter under $12, and the $12 one was a cheap knock-off.
I never find good filter prices at TSC - just oil once in a while …

I can find way more filter problems & failures posted in this forum on Purolator/M+H built filter brands than any other brand. Been that was for a long time.

I scored a couple MP3614 filters on clearance at Walmart a while back for $1.50 each. But I’d have no issue running any of the Fram 3614 series or even the ST3614, since it’s a Kohler 5205002 clone with white paint

I haven't looked to see what has been told about anyother brands of oil filters....just saw the one about the guy who cut open the Fram filters and the others in that video.........years back, I used to use Fram filters in all my vehicles, until I saw that video where the paper in them was cheaper and fell apart.....long story, short........I went to the cheaper oil filter like others have done didn't want to pap 15 bucks for a oil filter for a lawn tractor, but then maybe I should just for the protection of the engine.....

Do you all recommend paying the bucks, and buy the cub cadet brand oil filter ?....

My Cub Cadet lawn tractor is coming up on 5 years old I think....

I haven't looked to see what has been told about anyother brands of oil filters....just saw the one about the guy who cut open the Fram filters and the others in that video.........years back, I used to use Fram filters in all my vehicles, until I saw that video where the paper in them was cheaper and fell apart.....long story, short........I went to the cheaper oil filter like others have done didn't want to pap 15 bucks for a oil filter for a lawn tractor, but then maybe I should just for the protection of the engine.....

Do you all recommend paying the bucks, and buy the cub cadet brand oil filter ?....

My Cub Cadet lawn tractor is coming up on 5 years old I think....
Use a Supertech ST3614. Your tractor won't notice any difference.

I know your original post is mainly about oil filters, but I did have a question about your choice of oil. You mention that you use SuperTech Synthetic 10W-30.

Mowers typically recommend API SG-SL rated oil on purpose due to the higher phosphorus anti-wear additive of API SG-SL oils. Is a lower phosphorous API SP oil like the one you're using going to cause more engine wear in the mower?

I missed this, but the oil I use is Pennzoil Synthetic 10W-30.

I know your original post is mainly about oil filters, but I did have a question about your choice of oil. You mention that you use SuperTech Synthetic 10W-30.

Mowers typically recommend API SG-SL rated oil on purpose due to the higher phosphorus anti-wear additive of API SG-SL oils. Is a lower phosphorous API SP oil like the one you're using going to cause more engine wear in the mower?

Let's realize the OP's Riding Mower is from 2001, so it's been in operation for 23 years or so, we don't know how many hours are on this Machine. The oil spec that is recommended really does not mean much here, how this mower has been taken care of is more important.

All of the manuals I have read usually state "meets or exceeds" and then lists those API specs. Contrary to popular belief, small air cooled power equipment engines do not require more zinc than the average off the shelf passenger car motor oil. They don't have the valve spring pressures of a modified engine with an aggressive flat tappet cam. You can open the valves on most of these small engines easily by pushing on them by hand.

This is the XG3614 I just cut - nothing special anymore - put an MP3614 back on my Kohler 5400 Series …

IMG_0001.jpeg

Back