23,300 miles and cords are showing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our 2007 2500HD came with bridgestone VSteel tires and after 23,300 miles cords are just starting to show on the BACK tires! The front still have at least 50% life left. They have not been rotated because frankly they were the worst tires we have ever owned so we didn't give a you know what if they wore out or not. They had absolutely zero traction in the wet and you might as well forget about snow. The tires were down right dangerous if you ask me.

Thinking about getting a set of Firestone Destination AT put on it. Anybody have any experience with them?

Originally Posted By: ProStreetCamaro
Thinking about getting a set of Firestone Destination AT put on it. Anybody have any experience with them?

Take a look at the "AT Tires on the highway" thread.

He bought a set of Destination AT's and is now having some concerns.

You want LT rated tires, or P-metric

I've been super impressed with BF Goodrich Long Trail T/As (NOT the OEM "Radial Long Trail" which is a completely different tire design- very confusing) in P-metric. Not sure what the latest and greatest LT-rated tire is, but BFG All Terrains have a decent reputation, though on-highway treadwear isn't their strength. They'll still do better than what you had. So will Michelins.

If you didn't like the Bridgestones, I wouldn't go with Firestones. Bridgestone = Firestone, they're owned by one company. With all the mergers in the tire companies its a little hard to keep track. For what its worth, BFGoodrich and Michelin are one company now too.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: ProStreetCamaro

Take a look at the "AT Tires on the highway" thread.

He bought a set of Destination AT's and is now having some concerns.

That's me. I spoke with the shop where I bought my tires and should hopefully be exchanging them for a different brand this week.

To be fair, I think the Firestone Destination AT is a fine tire, but I think it just didn't jive with my vehicle. I bought them based on their high ranking on TireRack.com, but I almost wonder if the tire exhibits better characteristics when on a larger wheel or a different wheel alloy. I'm running the P-metric SL rated tires on a 1/2 ton F150 with 16" aluminum wheels, so I think they were just too stiff to be smooth.

I would imagine if you put them on a heavier truck with steel wheels and a good balance, you would be alright. They definitely do grip in the rain and are quiet, but I guess my dreams of making my 2WD truck w/ open diff into an offroad machine are going to vaporize into the air. They are good looking tires and those high rankings on Tire Rack are there for a reason, but I'm saying goodbye to mine 3 weeks after owning them.

My 07 Malibu came with Bridgestones too. No traction at all and are almost worn with only 19000 miles. I think it just has to do with the fact that are OEM tires.

Our Savana Vans ship with Bridgestones.

They ARE dangerous! Bad wet traction and we get 20-25k miles out of them every time.

Get Michelin LTX M/S2 and expect more than 60k!!!

Cheapest tire for the long haul. Great performance.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

That's me. I spoke with the shop where I bought my tires and should hopefully be exchanging them for a different brand this week.

To be fair, I think the Firestone Destination AT is a fine tire, but I think it just didn't jive with my vehicle. I bought them based on their high ranking on TireRack.com, but I almost wonder if the tire exhibits better characteristics when on a larger wheel or a different wheel alloy. I'm running the P-metric SL rated tires on a 1/2 ton F150 with 16" aluminum wheels, so I think they were just too stiff to be smooth.

I would imagine if you put them on a heavier truck with steel wheels and a good balance, you would be alright. They definitely do grip in the rain and are quiet, but I guess my dreams of making my 2WD truck w/ open diff into an offroad machine are going to vaporize into the air. They are good looking tires and those high rankings on Tire Rack are there for a reason, but I'm saying goodbye to mine 3 weeks after owning them.

There's zero reason that this line of tire should have a problem, regardless of size.

The size that you bought (P255/70R-16) is also the optional tire size for millions of Silverado (GMT800 series) 2 wheel drive pickup trucks made since '99 (including mine). That size of tire shouldn't be a trick to manufacture properly.

Bottom line is that it is a Firestone tire. You might get lucky.... you might not.

Remember that if you're loading that bad boy up you'll need a heavy load range tire. I don't know if the Firestone's are rated as an E load range tire or not. I know the Michelin LTX's come in "E" as I had them on an E-350 van.

The Firestone Dest A/T's he's looking at are limited to only a few sizes that are load range E.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I would go with a set of the new Michelin LTX M/S2 tires.

Agree 100%. We had Bridgstone Duellers on our Saturn and only got 19k out of them, before the front were worn out. The Michelin's are like night and day for traction and ride comfort. Worth every penny.

Had Bridgestone Deuller HT on my truck new.

They were useless, had no grip wet or dry, and left me near stranded on pea gravel alongside an in town road, I couldn't get moving.

They lasted 40,000km.

Maxxis on it ATM, and they are pretty good at 50,000km. Had one failed sidewall due to a glass cut by the looks of it.

Originally Posted By: jeepman
Originally Posted By: The Critic
I would go with a set of the new Michelin LTX M/S2 tires.

Agree 100%. We had Bridgstone Duellers on our Saturn and only got 19k out of them, before the front were worn out. The Michelin's are like night and day for traction and ride comfort. Worth every penny.

What made you choose the more truck oriented LTX M/S2 over the Latitude Tour for your VUE?

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Hmmm...note to self, no bridgestone/firestones....

I'd agree with the LTX or the Uniroyals also...

Bridgestone makes great tires too, but only a few of their models are good, which is why you need to be careful.

Their RE760 sports and Turanza Serenity tires are great. My friend has 10k on the RE760 Sports on his GTI and there's still 7/32 left all around. That's pretty good for a sticky tire.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Firestones suck.

I like Firestones. BF's are good too along with Michelins but you will have to get a second mortgage on your house to pay for those Michelins. IMHO some of these tire brands are just way too expensive and really not worth it. I never liked the Michelins that I have had because I thought they were sort of noisey and for the price they better be right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back