Which tire brand and model within that brand last the longest miles.

Different vehicles will get different mileage. I have both Mercury sable and Grand Marquis. The Sable eats tires 40k max on an 80k tire. Both of my Grand Marquis I will get over 100k on a 60k tire. They say GM has much better suspension even though it's heavier so much easier on tires. It's also rear wheel drive so not sure if that makes any difference.

A few tire changes ago, I got 53k miles out of a set of General Altimax RT43 tires, which were budget priced on the same vehicle,
so at leas 53k miles on a set of 4 tires on this vehicle is possible.

I live in a rural area where 55 MPH country rounds with the single lane in each direction and double orange lines in the middle are common. Also, do a lot of flat high way driving at 55 MPH or 65 MPH (whatever the posted speed limit is). We do get snow, but during the big snow storms, we usually don't use the cars and stay at home (working remotely or for my kids, school is either canceled or remote).

But 35k miles on an expensive premium brand (Continental) where tire store were touting it as the best of the best, is a little frustrating.

This becomes even more of an issue now due to inflation, as tires prices have gone up significantly in the last year,
and I have 4 of the same type of vehicles, with all 4 vehicles coming due for new tires within the next year or so.
I was going to say the same.

Not the same car, but I did get 68k on the 65k warranty Wal*Mart take on this same tire, Exclaim HPX A/S. I could have gone further as it was still summer and had 3/32nds across most of the tire. Just getting noisy so I pulled the trigger and swapped the pair with the RT45s as I couldn't get the Exclaim HPX in my size.

The other pair has 47k on them and seems to be on track for another 20-25k miles, so perhaps a replacement next fall.

Of course, my Mazda3 is not a heavy minivan and not as hard on tires.

However, these seem to provide good long life and don't seem to pickup any bad habits other than getting a bit noisy as they age.

The pairs I had were purchased in August 2021 and the ones replaced in May 2023 were purchased in November 2019.

At my wear rate, I'm getting about 3.5 years out of them.

This means I expect my next pair anytime between August to November 2024 if prior history is repeated.

The other thing (to me at least) - how many miles a year do you drive? I never keep tires past about 5 years anyway - really should be repalced at that point regardless of miles. So 80K tires are 16K/year. Better to just get 50K tires and just repalce them more frequently.
This vehicle is driven about 12,000 miles a year. When ordering tires, I really make it a point to request the newest date on the sidewall and I inform the manager at the tire place that I know how to read the date codes and for the manager to make a special phone call for this order to get the newest tires available. But, I think going 6 or 7 years on a tire is safe. The only brand with dryrot issues was Michelin from what I've read on the forums.

I'm just looking for that 1 tire brand that stands out from the rest in terms of 80k real world miles..
But I guess such a brand doesn't exist (from the responses here).

Michelin CrossClimate 2s seem to be the longest lasting tire I have found. They even seem to be wearing well on my Mom's Sienna. Make sure your alignment is good on that Odyssey. I know the rear control arms tend to get out of spec with too much camber as the rear springs sag.

On my 1998 Maxima, Goodyear RS-A came with the car and I went 87k. They were supposedly horrible tires but they lasted.

Haven’t seen them recently but I did see them on cop cars 10+ years ago

I've been researching light truck tries in the same size (Instead of P235 65R16, I'm looking at LT 235 65R16).
Seeing light truck tires with 8 and 10 ply's, would most likely handle the heavier weight of minivan's better and have a longer treadlife.

The light truck tires aren't rated for treadlife (as I think that's only a requirement for passenger car tires).
The price is about the same as passenger car tires. Wondering if these light truck tires are a hidden gem where I could get 80k or 90k miles out of a set of 4 light truck tires.

Has anyone ever used light truck tires of the same exact size as the passenger size tires for their minvan (Ex: Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna)? If so, how many miles did they last?

My dad has a set of light truck michelins on his vw Jetta. I think they've got about 90,000 miles on them, id have to find his maintenance book to be sure. They're pretty much worn out (about 3/32)
They probably won't last quite as long on a minivan, but I would guess they'll last 70,000 if you run them to the wear bars and have a good alignment. I've seen a bad alignment eat new tires in a few thousand miles

Most tire wear occurs when cornering. Driving straight ahead is practically free!

So city driving wears tires out faster than country driving. A soccer mom's minivan would be pretty bad! Plus, people report that Honda Odessey's are particularly bad. I have not heard of a fix for this.

LT tires? No, that isn't such a good idea. They have the same problems passenger car tires have, only you don't have any idea how they will wear - unlike PC tires where you at least have UTQG treadwear ratings.

How about more inflation pressure? The car will ride a bit rougher, but the tire is stiffer and the wear will be better. Say 5 psi.

Again, this is a situation where utilizing the pro-rated treadwear warranty can be worthwhile.

Most tire wear occurs when cornering. Driving straight ahead is practically free!

So city driving wears tires out faster than country driving. A soccer mom's minivan would be pretty bad! Plus, people report that Honda Odessey's are particularly bad. I have not heard of a fix for this.

LT tires? No, that isn't such a good idea. They have the same problems passenger car tires have, only you don't have any idea how they will wear - unlike PC tires where you at least have UTQG treadwear ratings.

How about more inflation pressure? The car will ride a bit rougher, but the tire is stiffer and the wear will be better. Say 5 psi.
Sienna is bad on tire wear, and an attempt to solve the problem (it does help a bit) is bumping inflation from 35psi to 40psi. I kept them at 40-42psi, and on my AWD model, they came with RFT. Let me tell you, the suspension and the rest of the vehicle did not like that.

Hi. I need some help from the forum.

One of my vehicles needs 4 new tires.
On the current worn out set of tires that can't pass a State Inspection,
I bought them because they were advertised as 80,000 mile tires. They only lasted 35,000 miles.

I rotated the tires every 5k miles, and always kept them at the correct air pressure, and properly aligned.
They are a major tire premium brand.

So I've reached the point of frustration, upset at the planned obsolesense build into some tire brands / models by the manufacturer.
After all, why should they make a tire that truly lasts in real life: 80,000 or even 60,000 miles, as it will reduce their tire sales.

So what I am hoping is that others on this forum could respond with tire brands and tire models within the brand that have surprised them in real life by really lasting 60k, 70k, even 80k miles.

My vehicle is 2007 Honda Odyssey with tire size: 235 65 R16.

Please help. Thanks.
Just buy the tire with the highest treadwear rating. Do your research on Tirerack. Although I was told years ago and may no longer be the case there is no industry wide standardized test when it comes to determining the treadwear rating.

I was told years ago and may no longer be the case there is no industry wide standardized test when it comes to determining the treadwear rating.

This is totally untrue. There was ALWAYS a test that EVERONE had to follow to get a treadwear rating. It's the same test used today. It was the same test used when the rating system was first introduced in the 1970's.

I go into the details here: Barry's Tire Tech: UTQG Ratings

This is totally untrue. There was ALWAYS a test that EVERONE had to follow to get a treadwear rating. It's the same test used today. It was the same test used when the rating system was first introduced in the 1970's.

It seems the owner misspoke. Perhaps he meant that the ratings aren't useful because there's no standard with reporting the results of the test (i.e. under-reporting, the chosen method used to extrapolate wear after the 7500 mile test has been completed, aspect ratios 50 and lower tend to do better, etc)??

Hi. I need some help from the forum.

One of my vehicles needs 4 new tires.
On the current worn out set of tires that can't pass a State Inspection,
I bought them because they were advertised as 80,000 mile tires. They only lasted 35,000 miles.

I rotated the tires every 5k miles, and always kept them at the correct air pressure, and properly aligned.
They are a major tire premium brand.

So I've reached the point of frustration, upset at the planned obsolesense build into some tire brands / models by the manufacturer.
After all, why should they make a tire that truly lasts in real life: 80,000 or even 60,000 miles, as it will reduce their tire sales.

So what I am hoping is that others on this forum could respond with tire brands and tire models within the brand that have surprised them in real life by really lasting 60k, 70k, even 80k miles.

My vehicle is 2007 Honda Odyssey with tire size: 235 65 R16.

Please help. Thanks.
I confess to not reading everything so maybe asked and answered. Have you contacted Continental directly to inform them their tire "model" with sidewall codes "whatever codes and S/N etc. you can find" only got 35k miles when advertised as an 80k mile tire? Perhaps there was some issue with that batch you are unaware of? Perhaps they'd offer a nice discount on replacements? Perhaps they'd offer some other compensation? Might be worth a shot.

Very interesting site! I was unaware of it prior to today. I'm glad to have found it. Is there an article (yes, I will continue surfing the site in hopes of finding it but thought I'd ask) for those who only drive about 300 miles a month and therefore should get 2 decades from a set of tires in an ideal world?

Very interesting site! I was unaware of it prior to today. I'm glad to have found it. Is there an article (yes, I will continue surfing the site in hopes of finding it but thought I'd ask) for those who only drive about 300 miles a month and therefore should get 2 decades from a set of tires in an ideal world?
I suspect not, a decade is a long time. Rubber gets harder, and I do believe the current recommendation is to replace every ten as a result, regardless of tread depth.

Unless you put an awful lot of miles on your vehicle in a short period of time, it’s unlikely a super high mileage tire would last to 80,000 miles. Invariably, you would get dry rot long before you reach 80k. Back on point, I got 50,000+ on a set of Continnental DWS06.
After they gave up the ghost, I switched to Mitchlen PS4s, and haven’t looked back. I was pleasantly surprised with the improved ride quality of the gummy-grip compound, albeit they don’t last long. 🤷‍♂️
Red cactus-1.jpeg

Back