Which tire brand and model within that brand last the longest miles.

Hi. I need some help from the forum.

One of my vehicles needs 4 new tires.
On the current worn out set of tires that can't pass a State Inspection,
I bought them because they were advertised as 80,000 mile tires. They only lasted 35,000 miles.

I rotated the tires every 5k miles, and always kept them at the correct air pressure, and properly aligned.
They are a major tire premium brand.

So I've reached the point of frustration, upset at the planned obsolesense build into some tire brands / models by the manufacturer.
After all, why should they make a tire that truly lasts in real life: 80,000 or even 60,000 miles, as it will reduce their tire sales.

So what I am hoping is that others on this forum could respond with tire brands and tire models within the brand that have surprised them in real life by really lasting 60k, 70k, even 80k miles.

My vehicle is 2007 Honda Odyssey with tire size: 235 65 R16.

Please help. Thanks.

Minivan. Sorry but short tire life is part of the package.

IMO I’d just accept it and move on. Buy a mid range tire and plan on 30-40k replacements.

Where do you live? that may sway some in giving a recommendation one way or the other. Do you run snows in winter, etc.

FWIW I get 40k out of 70 or 75k rated tires. Lots of turn where I live I guess. But I also replace at 4/32’s as wet traction is a concern.

Lastly: check tire pressure, IIRC some of the Sienna owners (like on a dedicated forum) have indicated longer tire life with a bump in pressure.

Minivan. Sorry but short tire life is part of the package.

IMO I’d just accept it and move on. Buy a mid range tire and plan on 30-40k replacements.

Where do you live? that may sway some in giving a recommendation one way or the other. Do you run snows in winter, etc.

FWIW I get 40k out of 70 or 75k rated tires. Lots of turn where I live I guess. But I also replace at 4/32’s as wet traction is a concern.

Lastly: check tire pressure, IIRC some of the Sienna owners (like on a dedicated forum) have indicated longer tire life with a bump in pressure.
A few tire changes ago, I got 53k miles out of a set of General Altimax RT43 tires, which were budget priced on the same vehicle,
so at leas 53k miles on a set of 4 tires on this vehicle is possible.

I live in a rural area where 55 MPH country rounds with the single lane in each direction and double orange lines in the middle are common. Also, do a lot of flat high way driving at 55 MPH or 65 MPH (whatever the posted speed limit is). We do get snow, but during the big snow storms, we usually don't use the cars and stay at home (working remotely or for my kids, school is either canceled or remote).

But 35k miles on an expensive premium brand (Continental) where tire store were touting it as the best of the best, is a little frustrating.

This becomes even more of an issue now due to inflation, as tires prices have gone up significantly in the last year,
and I have 4 of the same type of vehicles, with all 4 vehicles coming due for new tires within the next year or so.

I owned a 2000 and a 2006 Odyssey.
They were (as are all minivans) tire hogs.
I generally ran at or near top of the line Michelins on them, until I had a bad experience with the last set I ran on the '06.
I put a set of the RT43's on it, and was getting excellent wear on them.
They were on the '06 when I sold it.

Yeah the model that you have is tough on tires. Probably the only thing that would help is a light truck rated tire. Overall I don't like Michelin but I did have a good long experience with the LT tires on my work truck. Talk to a couple reputable tire dealers and get their input. I don't know if the ride would suffer much with that kind of tire, but I think the van is heavy enough. The LT Michelin rode extremely smooth for me.

First - mods should move to appropriate tire sub-forum - I'll flag it.

Second - I had an '06 Ody. 40K out of a set of tires is doing v. well and about the most I got out of some. Don't spend money on top-tier super-mileage tires, you'll never get it. Are they evenly worn? Sounds like you rotate regularly which is good. Assume alignment is good? 35K out of 70K tires - you should get a prorate on those (if evenly worn and records showing rotations) so half the value towards a new set which can also help out if you like these. I believe I was running Michelins on ours from Costco but I can't recall the model now.

After a pair of Cooper CS4 (takeoffs) did so well (sorry, no mileage numbers) I bought a set of 4 CS5 as the 4's were discontinued.
They're doing great on my heavy station wagon. I recommend them to everybody.

Once I bought a set of 4 Bridgestone Turanza with Serenity, ,a more expensive, 80,000 mile rated tire.
I got 51K out of them with religious rotations and continuous air pressure checks. They were perfectly evenly worn and matched.
I was quite disappointed.
One feature of the B'stone was a layer of softer rubber lower in the tread which would "remain softer over time" thus precluding having an older tire with harder, aged rubber.
Do not buy any such 'trick' tire.

The tire store claimed I had to have the rotations done by them for them to do anything. In the same breath they said I did superlatively well getting 51K and that those ratings were absolute bovex to start with.

Try my CS5's. If you hate Cooper Tires, don't.
Buy the highest UTQG (whatever it is) number you can (600-700-800) by selecting S or T rated tires.
I'm all for a stronger tire as walterjay mentioned above.

Also, while minivans might eat tires, there's no accounting for your driving style.
Even good people drive with lead feet.

Also, since reading here, I want to try a set of Altimax RT43 tires. Ha-ha, by the time I need tires, they'll be discontinued!

The other thing (to me at least) - how many miles a year do you drive? I never keep tires past about 5 years anyway - really should be repalced at that point regardless of miles. So 80K tires are 16K/year. Better to just get 50K tires and just repalce them more frequently.

Some cars just plain eat tires.

My Wife’s AWD Volvo gets good tires, rotated every 5,000 miles, inflation checked every month. Suspension is rebuilt. Tight. Aligned properly.

In the 200,000+ miles we’ve owned it, I’ve tried everything. Yokohama. Michelin. General. Continental. Nokian. All good models of good brands.

They’re all down to 4/32” in 30,000 miles, tops.

At the current rate of wear, the Michelin X LT AS tires on my truck will last at least 80,000 miles.

But that Volvo of hers just eats them up.

Some cars just plain eat tires.

My Wife’s AWD Volvo gets good tires, rotated every 5,000 miles, inflation checked every month. Suspension is rebuilt. Tight. Aligned properly.

In the 200,000+ miles we’ve owned it, I’ve tried everything. Yokohama. Michelin. General. Continental. Nokian. All good models of good brands.

They’re all down to 4/32” in 30,000 miles, tops.

At the current rate of wear, the Michelin X LT AS tires on my truck will last at least 80,000 miles.

But that Volvo of hers just eats them up.
My experience as well....some last some don't depending on the vehicle. I never put much into the tire mileage limits that are shown. I buy the tires I want, use them until they are 4/32", repeat. I've never done the whole prorate tire mileage warranty thing. I also find that all highway use is much easier on tires than around town and that's likely why none of our vehicles have had tires last past 50K. I have a buddy at 80K of nearly all highway on some BFG ATs on an F-150, unreal.

Let me add that high performance tires, like those on the two Mercedes and the V70R (summer) do not last.

Michelin Pilot AS4 - excellent grip. Not a long lasting tire. But I knew that. I’m trading away treadwear for increased grip.

Those cars rack up so few miles per year that the tires age out anyway. No worries.

Let me add that high performance tires, like those on the two Mercedes and the V70R (summer) do not last.

Michelin Pilot AS4 - excellent grip. Not a long lasting tire. But I knew that. I’m trading away treadwear for increased grip.

Those cars rack up so few miles per year that the tires age out anyway. No worries.
Same - PS4 all seasons actually seem to be lasting well, summer tires like my Conti Extreme Contacts, not so much...maybe get 30K out of them. I'll take the performance over mileage on that car any day.

This sounds like the question would be which tire dealer has the best, low-stress warranty.

The common ways to welch out are to claim misalignment, and to require rotation. It is legal under Magunson-Moss to require rotation if they give it away for free, which they do. So now you have the inconvenience of going in every 7500 miles and having their goons impact your lugs.

The cheap ba****d way of doing it is to innocently ask if they do free alignment checks. If they do, get those results, then buy some tires. They'll try really hard to upsell you on a paid alignment.

When I read the title I thought to myself, I wonder if he has a minivan...

Your van is 16 years old, bushings may be going out, and your alignment as well.

Same - PS4 all seasons actually seem to be lasting well, summer tires like my Conti Extreme Contacts, not so much...maybe get 30K out of them. I'll take the performance over mileage on that car any day.
If Conti’s make 30k that would be amazing.
It is astonishing how many people buy tires like Pilot etc. and say: I paid so much and they last only…..

No tires will last 80k on a minivan, sorry :sneaky:

There is the Hankook Kinergy PT with a 90k warranty :unsure:

The Cooper Endeavor Plus is specifically designed for crossovers and SUVs, which, like minivans, have a taller profile and more weight than an equivalent sedan of the same size. Even though its warranty is "only" 65k, you might get better real life treadwear out of it than you'd get with a tire that's more focused on sedans and wagons.

There are also commercial van tires called 235/65-15C, which may help handle the heavier weight, but they don't have a speed rating high enough for your Ody.

If Conti’s make 30k that would be amazing.
It is astonishing how many people buy tires like Pilot etc. and say: I paid so much and they last only…..
I'll hit ~30K on mine this year by the fall when I swap them out for the PS4 all seasons and that's 2-3/32" which is fine on these. I was suprised too. They have a 30K mileage warranty so just about right!

If your tires wear out early, the manufacturer will typically pro-rate them and give you a credit. I would try the Michelin Defender T+H for your minivan. We have Altimax RT43's but I think they are discontinued.

Back