220K and going, going.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

jww

My odometer after complusively changing my oil EVERY 3000 miles without fail with the cheapest brand available at Kragen (generally Cheveron) I burn no oil; drive about 12K a year. Will probably replace my car with near new import(possibly JagS) Should I continue my present obcession or change less frequently with synthetic oil as recommended by many manufacturers. Thanks guys.

I certainly agree with MolaKule. It seems almost any oil goes 3K even when looking at analysis results. The only thing I might suggest is that you stick with the Chevron-It seeems to give as good oil analysis as any oil.

welcome.gif
to the board.

I think it's pretty safe to use Synthetics at a 5000+ mile interval if you want to get out of your current change interval of 4 times a year. Why not do some oil analysis early on in the life of your new car to determine what is a good interval and just stick with it? You might be surprised to find you don't have to change it so frequently and still get long life.

Giles is right, while many people have good luck with 3k changes and dino oil, you could've also probably gotten the same mileage going to 4k or even 5k changes. Or you could've gone with 9k changes with a good synthetic and would've spent a lot less time underneath the car all these years.

What kind of vehicle is it anyways?

JWW - What type of vehicle do you have ?

I'm sure that, plus your driving style, plus the warm (but somewhat foggy) weather in Oakland PLUS your frequent oil changes had an impact on your 220K miles.

Congrats on the milestone and good luck getting the new Jag to 220K!
cool.gif

On the other hand I know a friend that changed his oil every 3000 miles with Pennzoil and Fram filters. His Olds engine was smoking bad before he hit 100,000 miles. He always drove the car for long hauls.

Go figure, you sucess might be the result of the quality of the vehicle too?

[ January 14, 2003, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

"Or you could've gone with 9k changes with a good synthetic and would've spent a lot less time underneath the car all these years."

Huh? Spending time under the car is the best part.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

I wouldn't change a thing. Keep the same oil and filter and run the Jag into the ground

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:
On the other hand I know a friend that changed his oil every 3000 miles with Pennzoil and Fram filters. His Olds engine was smoking bad before he hit 100,000 miles. He always drove the car for long hauls.

Go figure, you sucess might be the result of the quality of the vehicle too?

I would just blame it on the Fram filter.
tongue.gif

As I've written in the past.... '87 Grand National with 115K miles bought new, driven like I stole it with many 1/4 runs at the local track every summer. Castrol GTX 10W-30 with a Fram oil filter(now Puralator because of this site) every 3K miles at the local oil change place, and never a problem. Compression perfect when checked this past spring and it burns no oil between changes. I dropped the oil pan to replace a leaking oil pan gasket and the pan was golden-color with no sludge or anything. Didn't even need to wipe it clean. I always believe that regular oil changes are the key to longevity, not better oil. Sythetic or not, oil gets dirty and contaminated the same.

I also change every 3-4K miles with mineral oil. All my vehicles' engines have been clean inside when I've replaced gaskets, and all have gone well over 100K miles.

With an oil drain valve installed, and with today's spin-on filters, oil changes aren't that much of a hassle.

JWW, stick with what's worked in the past.....

quote:

Originally posted by dagmando:

I always believe that regular oil changes are the key to longevity, not better oil. Sythetic or not, oil gets dirty and contaminated the same.

Not exactly...many of the contaminants are products of the breakdown of the constituents in the oil formulation. Better oil has constituents that breakdown more slowly and therefore provide engine protection for more miles or hours.

Ken

FYI I drive an old M30 (not the gun - but the Infiniti no longer in production). I have been told by many a mechanic that those Nissan engines are better than the proverbial Duracell battery with longevities up to 300miles. Peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back