20k Supertech filter now at walmart

Looked at 10575 and whatever the 7317 equivalent is (6607 or something).

Pro in my opinion:
Made in USA.
$5.75 EACH.
E-Core style.
Supposedly enough media to hold dirt for 20k miles.

Con (subjective):
Feels cheap and much lighter than Fram Ultra.
Uninspiring base plate and threaded mount.
Undersized relative to Fram Ultra or Mob1.

So, for me, I'd have to see several before and after cut-aways on these ST 20k filters before I'd consider them on par with proven EP filters. Only then would saving a measley $4 vs Fram Ultra once/twice a year make sense to me.

That said, I am hopeful the new ST EP filters are all they are cracked up to be.
E-Core style is a 'pro' now?
supposedly must be good too

So, for me, I'd have to see several before and after cut-aways on these ST 20k filters before I'd consider them on par with proven EP filters. Only then would saving a measley $4 vs Fram Ultra once/twice a year make sense to me.
I don't see these competing with the Ultra, even though they are both "20,000 mile" filters.
I see the MP as a competitor to the Toughguard.

To compare/compete with the Ultra, it really needs to be a full synthetic media with a mesh backing IMO.
NAPA Platinum, Purolator Boss, Amsoil Ea, Royal Purple and others fall into this group.

Today I looked at a MP2 the same size as the Motorcraft 820s and it was a shorter filter than the Motorcraft and the Frams. I bought the Fram.

The new cartridge style Super Tech MP9018 filter for chevy engines does not fit. I bought two, both looked fine but wouldn't fit in the oil filter housing cap for my Equinox.

I remember the repeated claims about paper end cap Fram filters falling apart and getting sucked into the engine causing engine failure. I never believed that because the filter has a metal core with tiny holes. Unlike these supertech filters with just a plastic cage. It seems more possible now. Or maybe because the end caps are metal everybody feels safe?

I remember the repeated claims about paper end cap Fram filters falling apart and getting sucked into the engine causing engine failure. I never believed that because the filter has a metal core with tiny holes. Unlike these supertech filters with just a plastic cage. It seems more possible now. Or maybe because the end caps are metal everybody feels safe?
The only way I see the paper end caps coming apart is if the filter media gets wet which if that's the case any filter will fall apart and one with metal end caps would probably fall apart sooner since in theory the paper end caps give the filter a little more moisture buffering capacity, if anyone is concerned about the cellulose end caps coming apart then they should be worried about any filter with cellulose media falling apart and stick to only Fram Ultra\Titanium and Win XP/Napa Platinum filters.

IIRC, the marketing materials from ACDelco/Champ state that the nylon core is stronger than the steel. Don't know if that is true but I don't see that happening unless it was defective to begin with. Nylon core has been the standard with cartridge filters for many years.

The Super Tech MP9018 is 100% identical to K&N's filter for the same applications. But they don't fit in the 2.4L Ecotec oil filter housing. So I'm just buying the Fram.

@53' Stude cut open one of my 9688 supertech's and it was rather stout for a $3 filter. Put 6200 miles on it and it still looked fine. 20K mile claim I assume they added silicone adbv and at least semi synthetic media.
Yes. Time for other members to step up to the plate and cut and post some new filters. I’ve done WAY MORE THAN MY SHARE

Yes. Time for other members to step up to the plate and cut and post some new filters. I’ve done WAY MORE THAN MY SHARE
Yes, you've done many C&Ps here ... more than anyone and I'm sure people appreciate it. I thought you liked doing it, but maybe you're getting sick of it, lol.

"Efficiency ratings based on removing particles GREATER than 30 microns". So how much greater? 35-40? stone catcher.

"Efficiency ratings based on removing particles GREATER than 30 microns". So how much greater? 35-40? stone catcher.
If it's 99% efficient removing particles greater than 30 microns, then it's removing 99% of all particles greater than 30 microns. That also means 1% of all the particles less than 30 microns are not being captured by the media. Of course, it will be less efficient than 99% at 20u, and even more less efficient at 10u ... etc. All oil filters have an efficiency vs particle size performance curve.

You have to be really careful with super tech filters, some are made rediculousy cheap, much worse than a low Grade fram.

I was looking at a 2003 super tech rav 4 filter, and it just had a tiny plastic spine on the interior, where normally its full Metal interior on most filters

Back