2022 wrx

I drove the prior gen WRX and preferred the CVT to the manual. And that was after 20 years of driving nothing but manuals. Not a big fan of Subarus manuals.
Don't group "Subaru manuals" together. 5 speed and the wrx 6 speed, are not that bad.

Sti 6 speed, one of the best shifting transmissions I drove. Used them behing 1000whp builds doing awd launches in 25psi and I broke just 1 input shaft.

One of the most b/a manuals you can get factory.

It's a GT, only available with "SPT" which stands for Subaru Performance Transmission, and I am going with that name instead of CVT because I am in deep denial. All jokes aside, it is a very nice and capable car. The VB platform is a lot more civilized than the VA and the adjustable suspension is not just fluff, it is actually very noticeable between modes.

The car is for my son, he is a senior in HS this year and the car should last until he finishes Grad school, at least that is the intention. He is learning manual with my STi but being a new driver, auto transmission is just easier for beginners.

Plus, what the heck does motor oil have to do with the type of transmission in the car anyway, aren't you a little too young to have dementia? :)
It is CVT, and right lane.
WRX should come ONLY with stick and eventually dual clutch, but Subaru is too cheap to venture into that territory.

I am sorry, but I cannot get over the fact that THAT car has CVT. Sienna hybrid I ordered? Ok. But WRX? No.

Wow, lucky son! My daughter got a used 1999 2.5RS with 105k miles on it when she left NJ to go to school in RI. Put another 60k on it before selling it and getting a 2015 Legacy Ltd (her "adult car").

I wish they would've put that transmission in the Outback XT.

Just a guess, but @edyvw could be speculating that a manual would be driven harder and would benefit more from a higher HTHS oil than an automatic.
Nah. I have fundamental issue with THAT model having CVT.

For real, I would go heavy oil bcs. Subaru is where VW was in 2003 when it comes to DI technology, which means bunch of fuel in oil.

Wow, lucky son! My daughter got a used 1999 2.5RS with 105k miles on it when she left NJ to go to school in RI. Put another 60k on it before selling it and getting a 2015 Legacy Ltd (her "adult car").

I wish they would've put that transmission in the Outback XT.

Just a guess, but @edyvw could be speculating that a manual would be driven harder and would benefit more from a higher HTHS oil than an automatic.

My son is a good kid. He is a down to earth, ethical, respectful and responsible teenager. My parents did the same and trusted me with a new MR2 at age 16. I believe that my wife and I have raised him correctly and have passed on the same important values to him just as our parents did. Luckily, I am fortunate enough to be in this position and I am more than comfortable with this decision.

It is CVT, and right lane.
WRX should come ONLY with stick and eventually dual clutch, but Subaru is too cheap to venture into that territory.

I am sorry, but I cannot get over the fact that THAT car has CVT. Sienna hybrid I ordered? Ok. But WRX? No.

Thank you for sharing your opinion with us 🤷‍♂️.

Last edited:
Honestly, you purchased a highly modifiable, first year car for a teenager. You know **** well that car is going to be beaten within a inch of its life. It's going to see the dealer for warranty work, don't kid yourself. You don't want warranty to be denied. I'd also keep a log and receipts of the oil change.

I do not know if the 22 came with a oil cooler or not. If not, I'd look at the ascent as a bolt in option.

Personally, if I was in your shoes, I'd go with a oil cooler and the 0-20 from HPL that Overlord/Overmurder(I can't remember his name) had mixed. That dude knows his stuff.

I pray for you and your insurance.
Looks like there are some deep seeded emotional issues you need to be working on, but you do you.

I wasn't a fan of these when seeing them in print. In real life? Big change of opinion. It looks great. It's been many years since I owned a bubble-eyed WRX so my recommendation to stick with the manual's recommendation comes with a grain of salt.

Thank you for sharing your opinion with us 🤷‍♂️.
I assume the wrx CVT is similar or the same as the one in the Ascent which felt pretty solid hustling the much heavier Ascent around. I guess the "legendary" 4k+ rpm WRX clutch dump launch is unavailable but after that it should be pretty decent in manual mode once its moved a few feet. I drift around my Outback in manual mode in the snow and its good until the stability control can't stand the drift angles and pulses some brakes...
Edyvw has a hate for subaru and cvt's, personally I don't know how he can stand driving a non M series bmw on a track.... ;)

I assume the wrx CVT is similar or the same as the one in the Ascent which felt pretty solid hustling the much heavier Ascent around. I guess the "legendary" 4k+ rpm WRX clutch dump launch is unavailable but after that it should be pretty decent in manual mode once its moved a few feet. I drift around my Outback in manual mode in the snow and its good until the stability control can't stand the drift angles and pulses some brakes...
Edyvw has a hate for subaru and cvt's, personally I don't know how he can stand driving a non M series bmw on a track.... ;)
Bcs. BMW is still BMW.

I actually loved Subaru’s, until they started to compete with Toyota in “who will be slower in left lane” discipline.

Looks like there are some deep seeded emotional issues you need to be working on, but you do you.
You're so correct....it's emotional issues that I have to work on. It's not the fact that I rebuilt dozens of Fa's and Ejs for parents that bought these things to me due to being denied warranty work at the dealer, but their sweet angel did nothing wrong....never succumbed to peer pressure and did donuts in the snow or got into a stop light race.

Don't worry, use whatever oil is not spec for that car, don't keep receipts, etc. You'll be fine. He'll drive it like a grandma and never speed or beat on it. That car will never need to go back under warranty, if it does, they will take your word for it and fix it for you..FREE OF CHARGE. THEY'LL NEVER LOOK FOR ANY REASON TO DENY YOU.

Just trying to give some advice based on the experience and reality of working on and with these cars....nothing else.

You decided to take things out of context and be a Richard about it. Please understand, I didn't mean to offend you or the operator of the car. But...

Maybe you need to face reality, bud. That's a $40k 265hp sports sedan. Even the best behaved kids succumb to peer pressure. World is full of "he didn't do nuffin' , he would never do that, not my kid" stories. I just had 2 stories leave my driveway....parents pockets are lighter because of it.

Don't get so offended. Do everything to keep your warranty on such an expensive car. They're not cheap to fix.

Have a great day, sir.

Great comeback and that comment alone tells us that you fit the stereotype perfectly.
Who me? I was just today wondering what that green blinking arrow means. I must pressed accidentally.

Listen,
That engine dumps bunch of fuel into oil. 0W40 or 5W40 ACEA A3 would be perfect or Castrol Esge A3 5W30.
If you are sticking to 0W20, do more often changes.

I am not sure how different the SPT is when compared to other versions of CVT used in other vehicles. IMO, unless it is a van, SUV or work truck, manual is always preferred. In the case of the GT, there are no other alternative and is the better option for my son at this moment in time.

As for Edyvw, he just needs to work on his communication skills.

Who me? I was just today wondering what that green blinking arrow means. I must pressed accidentally.

Listen,
That engine dumps bunch of fuel into oil. 0W40 or 5W40 ACEA A3 would be perfect or Castrol Esge A3 5W30.
Q: Where did I say I am sticking with 0W-20 weight oil for the WRX?

I wasn't a fan of these when seeing them in print. In real life? Big change of opinion. It looks great. It's been many years since I owned a bubble-eyed WRX so my recommendation to stick with the manual's recommendation comes with a grain of salt.
My experience was opposite of yours. I thought they looked decent in print, I was disappointed in person, but I thought it would grow on me as my 16wrx did.

The cvt I just couldn't deal with. Car felt gutless. The fake shifts from the paddles...don't even get me started. Car felt no better than a outback in the corners.

I don't think I'll ever find another Subaru on the level of my 05sti.

Listen,
If your info of dumping fuel into oil is based on the FA20DIT in the previous version of the wrx, or the FA24DIT in the Ascent, you're wrong. Rex has way less fuel dilution than prev versions.

You're so correct....it's emotional issues that I have to work on. It's not the fact that I rebuilt dozens of Fa's and Ejs for parents that bought these things to me due to being denied warranty work at the dealer, but their sweet angel did nothing wrong....never succumbed to peer pressure and did donuts in the snow or got into a stop light race.

Don't worry, use whatever oil is not spec for that car, don't keep receipts, etc. You'll be fine. He'll drive it like a grandma and never speed or beat on it. That car will never need to go back under warranty, if it does, they will take your word for it and fix it for you..FREE OF CHARGE. THEY'LL NEVER LOOK FOR ANY REASON TO DENY YOU.

Just trying to give some advice based on the experience and reality of working on and with these cars....nothing else.

You decided to take things out of context and be a Richard about it. Please understand, I didn't mean to offend you or the operator of the car. But...

Maybe you need to face reality, bud. That's a $40k 265hp sports sedan. Even the best behaved kids succumb to peer pressure. World is full of "he didn't do nuffin' , he would never do that, not my kid" stories. I just had 2 stories leave my driveway....parents pockets are lighter because of it.

Don't get so offended. Do everything to keep your warranty on such an expensive car. They're not cheap to fix.

Have a great day, sir.
There you go again, passive aggressive much?

Try heeding your own advice of not grouping "People X" together. You are starting to sound like the character John Lithgow played in the movie "Footloose". It is unfortunate how negative you are about ALL teenagers, makes one wonder what your upbring must have been like. You do and preach whatever you want with your own kids, I choose to trust mine and I am willing to take that leap of faith with him so he can learn from his mistakes and become a better person.

While you may have good intentions, your delivery requires some fine tunning, just my opinion. You have a good day too.

If your info of dumping fuel into oil is based on the FA20DIT in the previous version of the wrx, or the FA24DIT in the Ascent, you're wrong. Rex has way less fuel dilution than prev versions.
How much this version dumps? It is important as if it is drastically less Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 is excellent choice!

There you go again, passive aggressive much?

Try heeding your own advice of not grouping "People X" together. You are starting to sound like the character John Lithgow played in the movie "Footloose". It is unfortunate how negative you are about ALL teenagers, makes one wonder what your upbring must have been like. You do and preach whatever you want with your own kids, I choose to trust mine and I am willing to take that leap of faith with him so he can learn from his mistakes and become a better person.

While you may have good intentions, your delivery requires some fine tunning, just my opinion. You have a good day too.
Don't disagree with 90 percent of your post. Not trying p to put your kid down, bud. The fact that you're sending to college in a 40k car shows your trust in your upbringing. The fact that he's attending college shows he listened and made it to college.

Not questioning any of that....what I question is the new wrx platform and the entire wrx community that's full of bad influence.....and a load of bad advice. Don't even get me started on SOA oil recommendations and the choice of transmission.

I just offered a bit of advice based on countless friends I have working for Subaru coupled with building them, racing them, owning them.

Basically, I don't sugar coat anything. I'm abrupt and to the point.

I want my fellow gearheads and their families to enjoy trouble free motoring and not rely on dealers denying warranty work for every insignificant, unrelated, minute thing like I seen in the past.

Case and point, I'm waiting on a 2021 outback xt with a blown engine. Denied warranty work due to using 0-40. This is the second engine in that car under 40k miles. First engine was dealer serviced using 0-20, covered under warranty. This is a family that has the 21xt, a 20xt, and a Ascent. The 20xt is on 2nd engine itself, all dealer maintained. The Ascent has 0 issues and it's the highest mileage in the fleet.

Subaru is not what it once was. IMHO, quality control has gone wayyyyyyyyy downhill.

Good luck to you.

Back