2022 wrx

Ahh I'm nit so sure ago that. The owners manual and the cap both say 0w-20
Well, there is plenty of info on why it's a bad idea long-term, but it's your car/your wallet/your choice. I'll repeat just this: "...use 0W-20 for fuel economy, and once the warranty is up or close to the end - have fun dealing with oil consumption issues and worn-out turbo bearings."

How hard do you plan on driving it? I'm not in the Subi community but what do those forums/FB groups suggest folks run? If was me I'd probalby run the spec oil if I just drove normally but if was driving it hard someting a bit more stout. Warranty would not be a concern as I just don't think it would ever be an issue.

At least stick with the recommend viscosity for a year or three.

Some folks are willing to not care about warranty, and yes I am one at times. My own risk. I run 0W-30 in both my 0W-20 cars.

It's a funny thing, most threads the mere mention of Amsoil and people are all over the top with the stick with the recommendations.....
Does the Amsoil meet the manufacturer's requirements? I'm not v. familar with it.

I just go by the what the owners manual says
Surprisingly for me, that’s also what I’m doing in my FA24DIT. I’m big on running an an oil with an HTHS of 3.5 or higher in EJ turbo’s, but I’m sticking with 0W-20 in my FA24 for now. This engine is more robust than the EJ and the FA20.

The engine has been out for a few years now and I know there are some Ascent owners that have put it though it’s paces and Cobb offers an AP for the Ascent. My dealership has not seen any lubrication related failures in this engine so that gives me some peace of mind. I am considering running a GF6 5W-30 next summer because I saw some high temps while driving on the beach this summer. It was only ~220F or so, so it’s probably fine, but the manual allows it.

If you plan to do uoa’s you will see the viscosity drop below a 20 grade from fuel dilution. And if you end up adding any power modifications I would definitely go with an xW-30 with an HTHS of 3.5 or higher. With mods, the owner’s manual recommendations go out the window IMO.

OE and XL 0W-20 do.

Sig Series 0W-20 may, depending on the EXACT words in the written requirements.
So sounds like drama for drama's sake then. I'd use it without concern.

Just added a 2022 WRX to my stable, considering switching to Mobil 1 0W-30 AFE. With the engine being a forced induction engine, 0W-20 makes me a little nervous. And before anyone ask, I am not an engineer nor do I know more than Subaru engineers when it comes to their vehicles.

I am not an engineer nor do I know more than Subaru engineers when it comes to their vehicles.
Don't worry. The recommendations in the manual, which actually do allow a higher viscosity, were not written directly by the engineers anyway. ;)

Well, there is plenty of info on why it's a bad idea long-term, but it's your car/your wallet/your choice. I'll repeat just this: "...use 0W-20 for fuel economy, and once the warranty is up or close to the end - have fun dealing with oil consumption issues and worn-out turbo bearings."

Horse hockey. Those issues arise mainly due to the oil not being changed regularly.

Stick shift or CVT?
Stick shift: Euro oils (A3 preferably MB229.5).

CVT: Extra virgin olive oil from Costco and stay in right lane.

It's a GT, only available with "SPT" which stands for Subaru Performance Transmission, and I am going with that name instead of CVT because I am in deep denial. All jokes aside, it is a very nice and capable car. The VB platform is a lot more civilized than the VA and the adjustable suspension is not just fluff, it is actually very noticeable between modes.

The car is for my son, he is a senior in HS this year and the car should last until he finishes Grad school, at least that is the intention. He is learning manual with my STi but being a new driver, auto transmission is just easier for beginners.

Plus, what the heck does motor oil have to do with the type of transmission in the car anyway, aren't you a little too young to have dementia? :)

Mobil 1 0w-40 :)
Normally I would agree. The only reason I am going with M1 0W-30 instead is for the SP and GF6A rating the manual is calling for. My POV is that I am already deviating from the recommended oil weight, I want to stay within the spec at least.

It's a GT, only available with "SPT" which stands for Subaru Performance Transmission, and I am going with that name instead of CVT because I am in deep denial. All jokes aside, it is a very nice and capable car. The VB platform is a lot more civilized than the VA and the adjustable suspension is not just fluff, it is actually very noticeable between modes.

The car is for my son, he is a senior in HS this year and the car should last until he finishes Grad school, at least that is the intention. He is learning manual with my STi but being a new driver, auto transmission is just easier for beginners.

Plus, what the heck does motor oil have to do with the type of transmission in the car anyway, aren't you a little too young to have dementia? :)
Wow, lucky son! My daughter got a used 1999 2.5RS with 105k miles on it when she left NJ to go to school in RI. Put another 60k on it before selling it and getting a 2015 Legacy Ltd (her "adult car").

I wish they would've put that transmission in the Outback XT.

Just a guess, but @edyvw could be speculating that a manual would be driven harder and would benefit more from a higher HTHS oil than an automatic.

I drove the prior gen WRX and preferred the CVT to the manual. And that was after 20 years of driving nothing but manuals. Not a big fan of Subarus manuals.

Horse hockey. Those issues arise mainly due to the oil not being changed regularly.
bd7.jpg

I drove the prior gen WRX and preferred the CVT to the manual. And that was after 20 years of driving nothing but manuals. Not a big fan of Subarus manuals.
Same. Found them to be notchy. Admittedly though it’s been a few years since I drove (rowed) one.

Honestly, you purchased a highly modifiable, first year car for a teenager. You know **** well that car is going to be beaten within a inch of its life. It's going to see the dealer for warranty work, don't kid yourself. You don't want warranty to be denied. I'd also keep a log and receipts of the oil change.

I do not know if the 22 came with a oil cooler or not. If not, I'd look at the ascent as a bolt in option.

Personally, if I was in your shoes, I'd go with a oil cooler and the 0-20 from HPL that Overlord/Overmurder(I can't remember his name) had mixed. That dude knows his stuff.

I pray for you and your insurance.

Oil has plenty to do with the type of transmission. The engaging disengaging of the clutch sends vibration through the crank.....along with movement.

Usually happens in high performance applications, but I seen it in stock applications. Sometimes bad enough to cause ceank walk destroying thrust bearings.

Since you purchased a wrx for your son, are you adopting??? I change my own oil, use potty by myself....cut grass.

Back