2022 wrx

So I recently bought a 2022 wrx. I'm doing research on different oils and such. The top two I'm most intrigued by are of course amsoil and high performance lubricants premium plus ot whatever. I'm curious of everyone's thoughts. I also want to get a high quality filter as well. Any suggestions on either oil or filter?

Attachments

• 20220606_173616.jpg
    20220606_173616.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 111
Congrats on the car!
I would go with HPL (just like everyone in this thread suggested).
advlubrication.com ---> then scroll down and pick your flavor:
- Heavy Duty Engine Oil
- Passenger Car Engine Oil
- Premium Passenger Car Engine Oil
- Premium Plus Passenger Car Engine Oil
- Euro Passenger Car Engine Oil
- Super Car Engine Oil
- Bad A$$ Racing Oil
Plenty of viscosity grades to choose from too. Ranging from 0W-8 to 10W-60. Although I wouldn't risk using anything with less MOFT than 0W30/5W30 provides... Plus I like my HT/HS above 3.5...

For some reason with the new platform. FA24DIT. It calls for 0w-20 so I just want to put the best in it with regards to protection from wear, carbon build up, lspi etc.

For some reason with the new platform. FA24DIT. It calls for 0w-20 so I just want to put the best in it with regards to protection from wear, carbon build up, lspi etc.
Is that what the owner's manual say? I was under impression that N/A engines were recommended 0W20 and Turbo engines were recommended 5W30. I could be wrong though...
LSPi issues seem slightly overblown, and carbon buildup will happen no matter what oil you use if the engine isn't designed to battle it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that engine is both Direct & Port injected? If so, then carbon buildup shouldn't be much of an issue.

From the owner's manual for 2022 WRX:
Screenshot (30).png

I love how Subaru is forced to push 0W-20 in North America, but still puts "proper quality and viscosity" before "fuel economy". In other words: use higher viscosity oil if you want long engine life. (See my recommendations in previous comments.) Or use 0W-20 for fuel economy, and once the warranty is up or close to the end - have fun dealing with oil consumption issues and worn-out turbo bearings.

Is that what the owner's manual say? I was under impression that N/A engines were recommended 0W20 and Turbo engines were recommended 5W30. I could be wrong though...
LSPi issues seem slightly overblown, and carbon buildup will happen no matter what oil you use if the engine isn't designed to battle it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that engine is both Direct & Port injected? If so, then carbon buildup shouldn't be much of an issue.
It's only direct injection and yes it does call for 0w-20

Mobil 1 0w-40 :)
+1

I'd be using a Euro spec oil in that car. Mobil 1 0w40, Castrol 0w40, Valvoline Euro 5w40, etc. Anything with the Porsche A40 spec. That's what all the guys run who beat the snot out of these cars, and the used oil analysis on this site prove it to be a good choice. 0w20 is spec'd so Subaru can meet CAFE requirements to squeak out every bit of fuel economy.

From the owner's manual for 2022 WRX:
View attachment 112002
I love how Subaru is forced to push 0W-20 in North America, but still puts "proper quality and viscosity" before "fuel economy". In other words: use higher viscosity oil if you want long engine life. (See my recommendations in previous comments.) Or use 0W-20 for fuel economy, and once the warranty is up or close to the end - have fun dealing with oil consumption issues and worn-out turbo bearings.
This is a standard for today's cars. I'm surprised that Subaru says to use 5W30 conventional rather than synthetic, does any one know why?

I would use a known brand or elite oil like HPL in 0w20 flavor until the warranty period is over and then switch to m1 0w-40...
As to filters, Fram Ultra is a good choice and priced right...

+1

I'd be using a Euro spec oil in that car. Mobil 1 0w40, Castrol 0w40, Valvoline Euro 5w40, etc. Anything with the Porsche A40 spec. That's what all the guys run who beat the snot out of these cars, and the used oil analysis on this site prove it to be a good choice. 0w20 is spec'd so Subaru can meet CAFE requirements to squeak out every bit of fuel economy.
I would not use a high SAPS oil in a Subaru DIT.

Borescope the oil pickup thru the DP to insure you don't have silicone gasketing plugging up the pickup. It been a issue on the
BRZ 2.4 it might very well be on the WRX also.

The JDM Toyo or Tokyo Roki filters should be best quality. Can't help you with oil. I would run a 30 grade, No need for a real syn until you get some miles on it - maybe the second or third oil change. The Subaru (Idemitsu) oil have performed better than anything at Walmart.

This is a standard for today's cars. I'm surprised that Subaru says to use 5W30 conventional rather than synthetic, does any one know why?
Both of my Subaru's, one 2.0 and the other 2.5 say the same thing. Don't know why either.

I don't think it means you can replace 0w20 with 5w30. I think what they are saying is, if your out it the sticks and you find you are low on oil and 0w20 is unavailable you can use 5w30 which is everywhere but change it out when you get back to the big city.
Just my take.:unsure:

Back