Which oil should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently bought a 99 Olds Intrigue (3.5) Owner's manual says to use 10w30. Local mechanic talk show says to use 5w30 for better lubrication and gas milage. Who's right? I'm leaning towards the 10w30. And why did Olds put that stupid cannister oil filter on these cars???

Better off in Florida with the 10W-30 in hotter climates. Are you going with synthetic or conventional??

welcome.gif

Originally posted by Al:
[QB] Better off in Florida with the 10W-30 in hotter climates. Are you going with synthetic or conventional??

I've always used conventional. Both sons use synthetic, I think mainly because they're lazy when it comes to oil changes. I actually like changing the oil, and have never gone over 3000 miles.

Mix,

The mechanic is correct in what he is saying. I myself have been experimenting with this theory and to my amazement, the wear numbers are actually better the lower the viscosity I've used. Currently I am using a 5w30 blend with the cheapest fram filter available and am looking forward to what it will look like in comparision to the mineral based oils I've been running. Anyway, here is the link to all of my oil analysis results showing conclusivly how a thinner oil can provide better protection.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000211;p=2#000069

BTW, I am located in Jvill Fl so the temps are approx the same from where you are.

quote:

Anyway, here is the link to all of my oil analysis results showing conclusivly how a thinner oil can provide better protection.

So Bob, are you pretty optimistic about what a 20wt can do? It does seem that "flow" is a huge factor and that thicker visc. dont always mean better protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back