2022 Subaru Crosstrek 1st Oil Change Very High Silicon

What he also knows is internal o rings didn't get nicked and no rtv broke free and got into the oil galley.
Agree no need for another for a few OCI.

What proof do you have or is this your opinion?
Yeah I'm exaggerating when I say "garbage". I just don't like cardboard end caps so call it what you want. It's not as well made as the black Japanese Subaru filter that came on the new car. I believe that is an established fact. So maybe some opinion thrown in with some fact?😂
Check this out:

It would be impossible not to have high silicon when the engine halves and other parts are put together with RTV, 100% normal for a Subaru.
Copper is from the oil cooler. The rest are fine for 1K on a new engine.
Pretty sure this engine does not have an oil cooler. Where else would copper come from on break in?

Pretty sure this engine does not have an oil cooler. Where else would copper come from on break in?
It's a normal part of break-in wear metals.

Copper is widely used due to its high ductility and thermal conductivity. It is mainly utilized in bushings and bearings such as: crankshaft journal bearings, connecting rod bearings, camshaft bushings, piston wrist pin bushings, thrust washers, and even heat exchangers (oil coolers).

It's a normal part of break-in wear metals.

So this is most likely wrist pin bushing copper? I understand copper is a normally elevated wear in metal but curious on non oil cooled fb20 where it is coming from? Only copper source that comes to mind is wrist pin bushings. Copper layer of rod bearings isn't yet exposed, I dont believe there is copper in the wear surfaces of the heads anywhere?

Yeah I'm exaggerating when I say "garbage". I just don't like cardboard end caps so call it what you want. ...
How bout the paper, rag, and fiberglass filter paper part ? How do you feel about that?

We all know about popular filter construction. It's hard to glue paper to steel.
The guts are harder to recycle also - it's important with more than 1/2 a billion filters heading into landfill annually

The Toyo Roki** is a good filter for sure, but they are also hard to source as Subaru doesn't seem to
want to sell them Stateside as a service part,

ON the SubaBlue Frams, I am not o fan of the baseplate forming and stamping which can lead to leaky ADBV.

But Roki's are obviously built to a higher standard that the orange can and they also have a P-ring gasket vs. a flat gasket.

If you have ever had a WIX or Pur-Oil-leaker on an EJ engine you would cherish that leak-proof P gasket.

I will note that ADBV may not matter much on the FB series as they appear to empty the filter after a hour sit.
EVERY time I have changed the oil on our FB's the filter has been empty. EVERY time.
But with Auto start-stop you want that ADBV to work for at least a few minutes,
My wife disables it as she heads off in the Outback.

- Ken

** https://www.roki-jp.com/english/profile/index.html

I am not sure where Tokyo Roki fits in here - a different company that also makes filters. Maybe like Mobile 1 and Mobil ?

Last edited:
Yeah I'm exaggerating when I say "garbage". I just don't like cardboard end caps so call it what you want. It's not as well made as the black Japanese Subaru filter that came on the new car. I believe that is an established fact. So maybe some opinion thrown in with some fact?😂
Check this out:

I see you are one of the card board haters. You don't see very many failures with those like separated end caps and torn media like the ones you probably desire.

I see you are one of the card board haters. You don't see very many failures with those like separated end caps and torn media like the ones you probably desire.
😂 Yup, paper/cellulose media and card board hater. To each his own! Please do provide me with evidence of torn media or separated end caps on a Purolator Boss. I have been using the Boss filters since they came out on my 2014 Mazda 3 and I use Blackstone with every oil analysis and insolubles are never above 0.2%, in fact they are usually 0.1%, and wear metals have been extremely low. Every filter is cut open and examined when the oil is changed. Guess I've been lucky? 🤷‍♂️ I'll stick with what I like and the cardboard and paper guys are free to use what they want.

If you have ever had a WIX or Pur-Oil-leaker on an EJ engine you would cherish that leak-proof P gasket.

I will note that ADBV may not matter much on the FB series as they appear to empty the filter after a hour sit.
- Ken
Completely agree, and I don't know what the issue is with Subaru mounts vs. others, but even when using German Torque (guten-tighten :LOL:) there is still usually a very small weep with a flat gasket. Never had to mess with tightness on a P-gasket, it's darn near perfect even if you simply have your 5-yo tighten it. If Fram offered an XG that fit (I use XG3593As on all my EJs) and had the P gasket for $1 more it would be a no-brainer purchase.

As far as the oil cooler goes, when you look at the filter mount, if you see two hose barbs and a ribbed look on the side of the mount, it most definitely has the oil cooler. I haven't personally had any FA/FBs so I don't know if there is a rule of thumb which have them, but I do know early on nearly all EJs showed high copper regardless of OC or not, and 98% of them (other than WRXs that got beat on) proceeded to run 150k+ miles. My current 05 Outback and 07 Impreza are both over 180k, and my 01 Forester was at 253k the last time I talked to the guy who bought it from me.

Back