2022 Renault Kwid - I didn't know you could still buy a car this basic

This just reaffirms my reasoning why I’ve always avoided buying a Mazda or Subaru.

I currently have a 2022 Renault Kwid as a rental, and I have to write about it because this thing is so hilariously simple and basic. I didn't know you could buy a car in 2022 without cruise, tilt, rear window defogger or a clutch/ignition interlock. It has exposed metal in the cargo area, Apollo brand 165/70R14 tires, one windshield wiper, levers attached by a cable to open the rear hatch, fuel filler door and switch between recirc and fresh air. To top it all off, it's powered by a 67 hp 1.0 3 cylinder. Surprisingly, it has ABS and 2 air bags, but a big no on traction or stability control. Android Auto is onboard as well!

Considering what it is, the ride, handling, steering feel and brakes all are pretty good. The engine however is woefully underpowered, I was in third trying to maintain 80 km/h up a hill on the freeway and it wasn't happy, I think hills might be the bane of its existence. You can also feel the A/C compressor kick on and off with an accompanying loss of power. It also has the most bizarre LCD screen for the gauges I've ever seen, along with the power door locks and window controls in the center stack.

5n04KSQ.jpg

9zMmAlF.jpg

MpnXXHE.jpg

vFgxIRi.jpg

LBvkH5Z.jpg

usbYF0w.jpg

cxigZvZ.jpg

bZRiDQK.jpg

g3gLZCN.jpg

nNERrxU.jpg

I’d love to be able to buy a car like that.
Simple, and more a ‘driving car’ than an isolation pod.
What can I say, family car growing up was a base 1989 Tercel 4speed/vinyl seats/no radio…turned similar rpm’s to this at speed.

I am sure mine are electronic.
Probably, if yours has auto climate control. I should rephrase, I would consider a higher trim Mazda. Reliability wise they are fine, just some of the base model trims really feel like a penalty box. Of course, that was a 2013 so maybe things have changed.

They wanted $3/day more for an automatic. Do I look like I'm made out of money? :ROFLMAO:

Shifting with my left hand is awkward enough, but even worse the turn signals are on the right stalk! I might have put the windshield wipers on by mistake a couple of times...

I rented a manual in England several years ago, and your comment about the turn signals is so true. Shifting was OK, I got used to it, but I could never hit the correct stalk for the indicators.

Also, I always, always, went to get in the car on the left side. D'oh!

I rented a manual in England several years ago, and your comment about the turn signals is so true. Shifting was OK, I got used to it, but I could never hit the correct stalk for the indicators.

I didn't make the mistake of getting in on the wrong side, but I did grab to the left for the seat belt a few times after starting it up. :LOL:

Last night I hopped in the Corolla after getting home and started pushing the non-existent clutch pedal in to start it. 🤦‍♂️

that’s a manufacturer thing.

VW and many other brands are consistently left hand indicator

I’d love to be able to buy a car like that.
Simple, and more a ‘driving car’ than an isolation pod.
What can I say, family car growing up was a base 1989 Tercel 4speed/vinyl seats/no radio…turned similar rpm’s to this at speed.
Pre-1990, under 100 HP wasn't that uncommon and road conditions/driving speeds were largely the same as today.

Ford had a bare bones Ranger until 1988 or so with a 2.0L Lima engine that only made about 60 HP. Even the upgrade 2.3 only had about 90 HP. My parents had a 1986 Super Cab with the 90 HP engine and 5-speed manual and drove it on the highway all the time, my mom even took it on an out of state trip because our 90 Taurus was less reliable. I was a kid and don't remember what RPM, but that truck probably didn't even have a tach. It did not have AC though.

I wager it shares DNA with the Nissan Versa(called the Tiida elsewhere) and the Datsun Go. At least the Versa in the US comes standard with a I4 but not much else.

I currently have a 2022 Renault Kwid as a rental, and I have to write about it because this thing is so hilariously simple and basic. I didn't know you could buy a car in 2022 without cruise, tilt, rear window defogger or a clutch/ignition interlock. It has exposed metal in the cargo area, Apollo brand 165/70R14 tires, one windshield wiper, levers attached by a cable to open the rear hatch, fuel filler door and switch between recirc and fresh air. To top it all off, it's powered by a 67 hp 1.0 3 cylinder. Surprisingly, it has ABS and 2 air bags, but a big no on traction or stability control. Android Auto is onboard as well!

Considering what it is, the ride, handling, steering feel and brakes all are pretty good. The engine however is woefully underpowered, I was in third trying to maintain 80 km/h up a hill on the freeway and it wasn't happy, I think hills might be the bane of its existence. You can also feel the A/C compressor kick on and off with an accompanying loss of power. It also has the most bizarre LCD screen for the gauges I've ever seen, along with the power door locks and window controls in the center stack.

5n04KSQ.jpg

9zMmAlF.jpg

MpnXXHE.jpg

vFgxIRi.jpg

LBvkH5Z.jpg

usbYF0w.jpg

cxigZvZ.jpg

bZRiDQK.jpg

g3gLZCN.jpg

nNERrxU.jpg
I like it...KISS!

my 2014 toyota yaris base model is deliciously simple: 4sp auto trans, 1.5 n.a. engine and, best of all, crank windows. it does have aircon, bluetooth and aftermarket cruise control. to folks who obsess over being “green,” just be simple instead.

Back