2022 Ford Maverick

it ticks alot of the right boxes for me.
Hopefully I'll have no problem finding a used one for around $10k in a few years.
(I usually buy ~5yrs old, ~60k mi, ~$10k)

a manual tranny, 2 less doors + a longer box + NO complicated hybrid 4 wd but awd ok + it works for me, BUT buyers will be the BETA testers so in 3 to 5 years + close to a 100 thou miles later we will see if its reliable!!!! i like KISS-keep it simple stupid!!

My 1990 Ranger XLT currently has close to 90K on it and has had issues with its 2.9L V6, but it is very versatile with 6.5 foot bed. I have been waiting for a truck that could replace it, but that small bed and CVT won't happen here. My old Ranger is at least built on a frame and gets 20+ mpg in combined driving. I want a TRUCK not an suv clone. I want a TRUCK that I can just slide into like a car instead of having to climb into when I am tired after a days work. Yes mine rides like a truck when its empty, but you can really load that bed with a lot of weight.

My 1990 Ranger XLT currently has close to 90K on it and has had issues with its 2.9L V6, but it is very versatile with 6.5 foot bed. I have been waiting for a truck that could replace it, but that small bed and CVT won't happen here. My old Ranger is at least built on a frame and gets 20+ mpg in combined driving. I want a TRUCK not an suv clone. I want a TRUCK that I can just slide into like a car instead of having to climb into when I am tired after a days work. Yes mine rides like a truck when its empty, but you can really load that bed with a lot of weight.
Fellow Ranger owner/fan here. FWIW, the Maverick has a higher payload capacity than our old Rangers (1500 lbs vs 1100 lbs that mine has). I get the apprehension about CVTs, but you really can't compare CVTs in hybrid vehicles with CVTs in regular gasoline-only vehicles. The way they work is entirely different. Hybrid CVTs don't have any belts or chains like gas-only CVTs, and they're super reliable. And the CVT comes with only the hybrid Maverick; the gas-only Ecoboost Maverick has a regular 8-speed automatic.

I also wish it was available with a longer bed and a smaller cab. Other than that, this truck would be perfect for my needs. I really like it a lot. But my '06 also meets my needs perfectly, is still in good shape, still has low mileage and will go for a LOT longer, and is paid for, so I won't be buying any replacement anytime soon.

On a trip to Mexico a couple years ago I was seeing the good old fashioned small pickups on the road. I looked up toyota mx, and nissan. They sell the basic small trucks in that market. I wonder if this might be a signal that there is a market here for those again?

a manual tranny, 2 less doors + a longer box + NO complicated hybrid 4 wd but awd ok + it works for me, BUT buyers will be the BETA testers so in 3 to 5 years + close to a 100 thou miles later we will see if its reliable!!!! i like KISS-keep it simple stupid!!
If you search the web the previous generation Escape Hybrid accumulated 300,000 to 400,000 miles being used as Taxis in NYC and other places. So NO-this isn't a "beta testing" situation.

On a trip to Mexico a couple years ago I was seeing the good old fashioned small pickups on the road. I looked up toyota mx, and nissan. They sell the basic small trucks in that market. I wonder if this might be a signal that there is a market here for those again?
Yeah man those guys love the basic old school Toyotas. Legendary reliability.

Yes, my old 90 ranger came with weaker rear suspension but my dad had them put heavier rear springs on it since he would carry heavier items in it. We built a garage together and we hauled all the shingles and tar paper on it in one load.

Watching some other videos I noticed that Ford has the numeric keypad lock instead of a keyless entry system. That is a step backwards.
That does seem weird. Cost cutting measure? Maybe keyless is part of the options that will tip this towards $30k.

They should go full-BITOG and make it a simple metal key with no RKE. That'll appeal to us luddites! :cool:

That does seem weird. Cost cutting measure? Maybe keyless is part of the options that will tip this towards $30k.

They should go full-BITOG and make it a simple metal key with no RKE. That'll appeal to us luddites! :cool:

Back to the 70’s. 😁

Back to the 70’s. 😁
My '99 has a simple metal key. I think my '11 is similar, just with rubber poured around it to make it look like it was chipped. I could be wrong, but this was about the cheapest Camry available at the time, so I wouldn't be surprised that it is not chipped. Chip or not, I still am, after all these years, still key in hand to get into my car if I park someplace.

My '99 has a simple metal key. I think my '11 is similar, just with rubber poured around it to make it look like it was chipped. I could be wrong, but this was about the cheapest Camry available at the time, so I wouldn't be surprised that it is not chipped. Chip or not, I still am, after all these years, still key in hand to get into my car if I park someplace.

I really like the keyless fobs. It just stays in my pocket.

I’ve seen a lot of those keypad entry systems with the pads worn. Makes it obvious what the code is.

Watching some other videos I noticed that Ford has the numeric keypad lock instead of a keyless entry system. That is a step backwards.
They're not mutually exclusive, I have both on my F-150. Ford offers the keypad as an option on a lot of their vehicles. Keyless entry/ignition is standard on the Lariat trim level of the Maverick.

I really like the keyless fobs. It just stays in my pocket.
Yeah, every time I walk past the wife's car I get a bit jealous. It really is a flying leap up from what I have been used to all these years.

They're not mutually exclusive, I have both on my F-150. Ford offers the keypad as an option on a lot of their vehicles. Keyless entry/ignition is standard on the Lariat trim level of the Maverick.

That seems odd in this day and age. Even the cheapest cars now come with keyless.

Nah, there's no fashion in it to justify those $60k price tag profit margins. You want to sell to urban cowboys not low income jobbers.

I’d buy one. Kind of ugly but appears super practical.

Probably more “truck” than most need... Known plenty of folks with full size 4wd pickups who only use them for suburban utility (grocery getters, kid haulers, and commuting vehicles.)

Back in the day everyone laughed at the Datsun and Toyota and Mazda pickups calling them Tonka trucks and other names. Then the sales of those pickups caught the attention of the Big 3. Ford and Chrysler rebranded Japanese pickup trucks as their own.

These smaller pickups fit many consumers needs perfectly. The issue is their ego will not be satisfied unless they have something that looks and sounds like a Freightliner.

Back