2021 Toyota 4 Runner TRD

If you like the TRD Pro best, then that's the one for you. Just know that if the FOX shocks are the main reason for buying a Pro, the shocks can be bought for a lot less from the aftermarket than the Pro package costs.

The Nitto Terra Grappler tires aren't as good as some more modern offerings, the Pro wheels are narrower than the TRD Off-road wheels, and have more negative offset, so installing bigger tires presents more issues such as just fitting on the wheels, and higher likelihood of tire contact with the body, necessitating mods to the body and even body mount directly behind the front wheels.

If you like the TRD Pro best, then that's the one for you. Just know that if the FOX shocks are the main reason for buying a Pro, the shocks can be bought for a lot less from the aftermarket than the Pro package costs.

The Nitto Terra Grappler tires aren't as good as some more modern offerings, the Pro wheels are narrower than the TRD Off-road wheels, and have more negative offset, so installing bigger tires presents more issues such as just fitting on the wheels, and higher likelihood of tire contact with the body, necessitating mods to the body and even body mount directly behind the front wheels.
Good to know I'll keep that in mind. I'm not planning on buying anything anytime soon, but it is certainly on my list. The 4Runner is a vehicle I would keep as long as possible. They maintain their value so well.

It’s a change that some cannot handle for whatever reason. No keys to fumble with or drop into a snow bank. Walk up to your vehicle, unlock the door, get in and push a button.

A button is SO MUCH EASIER to use than keys. This is one of those things of some trying to hold on to "the old ways". My Silverado has a keyed ignition-my wife's Santa Fe has a button, MUCH PREFER the button. I'm sure some expressed "grave concerns" when fuel injection was incorporated in to motors. Some like messing with those fuel/air/idle/choke screws constantly on those carbs.

Last edited:
A button is SO MUCH EASIER to use than keys. This is one of those things of some trying to hold on to "the old ways". My Silverado has a keyed ignition-my wife's Santa Fe has a button, MUCH PREFER the button. I'm sure some expressed "grave concerns" when fuel injection was incorporated in to motors. Some like messing with those fuel/air/idle/choke screws constantly on those carbs.

They prefer points ignitions over electronic as well, and secretly long for those less complicated vacuum windshield wipers.

Reactions: CKN
Hah, hunting for gears is the lesser of the evil for the 6 speed. Low speed shudder/buck is the most common thing as the torque converter has 3 modes. Unlocked, half-locked, and full on lock. It will try and lock at a much lower speed to save a sip of fuel. Doing a 1/2 lock under load up the mountain makes for an interesting driving experience. After 2400 miles it has gotten alot better, just a minor annoyance at this point. This isn't the only manufacture that has this issue at this point, welcome to the modern era it seems...
I’m sure it’s still a really good driving truck.

Whats nice about these modern vehicles is that a reflash of the ECU can really make a big difference.

I love push button start and keyless entry. I hate going through my pockets over and over to find my keys. Seems stupid but I hate it.

honestly a 10y car, yet they sell as a brand new o_O
The core frame and body and powertrain, yes.

It has received periodic updates through the years.

Youre shocked that Toyota is still selling new 4runners that are much like they were when they came out in 2009 as a 2010 model, but there are advantages to owning a vehicle that’s so well sorted.

There just aren’t many failure points on these things. They last literally indefinitely with minimal maintenance.

Lots of people, myself included, appreciate the lack of complication and complexity that leads to increased reliability.

And obviously a lot of people agree with me, as it’s one of the most popular vehicles on the road.

Still highly sought after, with a huge base of fans who love them with an almost cult-like enthusiasm.

Last edited:
Yeah needs a 10 spd trans
Be nice to get 25 mpg hwy
We’ll see how the reliability of these new 10-speeds is.

The A750 has proven itself bulletproof in the Sequoia, Land Cruiser, GX470, Tacoma, Tundra, and the V8 and V6 4Runners.

I hope the new generation of slushboxes do as well!

Incidentally we made the 200-mile trip from Nashville to Memphis to see family Thursday. It was so nice outside that we decided to hold it to 65-70 and drive with the windows down.

The 4Runner returned 23 MPG.

Youre shocked that Toyota is still selling new 4runners that are much like they were when they came out in 2009 as a 2010 model, but there are advantages to owning a vehicle that’s so well sorted.

There just aren’t many failure points on these things. They last literally indefinitely with minimal maintenance.

Lots of people, myself included, appreciate the lack of complication and complexity that leads to increased reliability.

And obviously a lot of people agree with me, as it’s one of the most popular vehicles on the road.

Still highly sought after, with a huge base of fans who love them with an almost cult-like enthusiasm.
When replacing my 1990 4 Runner (which is still on the road, by the way) I was leaning strongly towards another 4 Runner for all the reasons John listed.

Ultimately, I went for the tow capacity of the Tundra, which I do use, but I would love another 4 Runner. It was just a great vehicle; dependable, durable, capable and fun.

It took us safely through blizzards, on ski trips, 4 wheeling, hauling stuff from the hardware store, kayak trips, camping trips, and the grind of a daily commute.

I’m almost envious of John’s new Toyota.

D15BCA5B-EC58-4413-8A6A-A725543294FE.jpeg

There was a thread on a 4Runner website about the 4Runner resale value.

Out of curiosity I ran my TRD ORP through Carvana. They gave me a trade-in value of 4k more than I paid for it.

I'm tempted, as it is almost worn out at 1700+ miles...

😁

Different block, cylinder heads, intake, and exhaust, in addition to the different parts you noted.

Really, the Dual VVT-i 1 GR-FE is so different from the Single VVT-i 1 GR-FE, that Toyota should've changed the engine designation, IMO.

The Dual VVT-i version makes more power throughout the rev-range.

We also have a new 5th gen TRD ORP, which replaced a 3rd gen.

To the first post: Keyless Entry with push-button start, is only on certain trim levels.
@02SE and others, when is this newer dual vvti 4.0 used? I can’t seem to find info online besides that it’s in the 5th gen, but by the sounds of you guys’ discussion, it was introduced mid-generation? Or am I misunderstanding possibly?

@02SE and others, when is this newer dual vvti 4.0 used? I can’t seem to find info online besides that it’s in the 5th gen, but by the sounds of you guys’ discussion, it was introduced mid-generation? Or am I misunderstanding possibly?
Wikipedia article on the Toyota GR-series engines shows the 2009 model 4Runner and FJ Cruiser as the first vehicles that the dual-VVT-i 1GR-FE was installed in.

So, yes, as far as that article is showing, every 5th Gen 4Runner, and every FJ Cruiser, has had the updated version of the 1GR-FE.

Incidentally, the Tacoma never got the “Gen 2” 1GR-FE.

Back