Rental review - 2021 RAV4 LE from Hertz

Since everyone’s doing rental reviews, I might as well jump in.

My car was in the shop for a new cat, my insurance allowed the use of a rental car for up to 5 days. I went to the local Hertz Local Edition, the manager said they had nothing but a Rogue they can’t give to me for the insurance rate. I call a HLE by my office and they said they can give me a RAV4 for $3 over my insurance rate.

I pick up the RAV4, it’s a base LE model, 2WD. Car was a little dirty, no floor mats so the driver’s side carpet was worn out. 23K on the clock.

The good - it’s a Toyota so I was familiar with it quickly. The base engine - 2.5L Dynamic Force engine on 0W-16 swill does a good job moving this SUV around. It handles well for a Toyota - their new platform helps quite a bit. Decently roomy, I was able to fit a bike with the rear seats folded down. It handled a Costco run as well. The electronic nanny(Toyota Safety Sense 2.0) does stay out of your way somewhat.

The bad - it’s still a Toyota, it’s a bit of an appliance still. The engine makes itself known starting up, and it’s a little hoarse. Trans acts a little weird moving off - I had the car in Normal mode, it moves through gears quickly in Eco mode. Despite having CarPlay and Android Auto, Toyota’s infotainment is still clunky and slow - even a cheap Sony or even Boss aftermarket double-DIN deck is better. Steelies and no “smart” entry system in 2022.

Not impressed with Hertz as of late. Yes, there is a shortage of rental car stock and travel has been booming. I did my underhood check, oil was full and clean. It was low on coolant - I added some Prestone Cor-Guard. Removed the access panel to the oil filter and pan and saw an OE Toyota filter on it, odd for a rental car. Tires were mismatched, 3 OE Firestones, 1 Toyo Open Country AT. The car was decent asides that.

I did my underhood check, oil was full and clean. It was low on coolant - I added some Prestone Cor-Guard. Removed the access panel to the oil filter and pan and saw an OE Toyota filter on it, odd for a rental car. Tires were mismatched, 3 OE Firestones, 1 Toyo Open Country AT.

You are very thorough in your inspection of a rental. I would never have removed an access panel. Kudos.

You are very thorough in your inspection of a rental. I would never have removed an access panel. Kudos.
I usually never do that - but @The Critic asked me if I saw a Firestone-labeled or other quick lube(Service Champ/Prime Guard) filter on it.

Usually with rental cars, I check the vital fluids, make sure the tires aren’t bald and there’s no glaring issues.

I usually never do that - but @The Critic asked me if I saw a Firestone-labeled or other quick lube(Service Champ/Prime Guard) filter on it.

Usually with rental cars, I check the vital fluids, make sure the tires aren’t bald and there’s no glaring issues.
I was just curious.

Hertz has a 2021 RAV4?
After their mass fleet sell-off and their reliance on GM, Hyundai-Kia and Nissan I was a little surprised. My last two Hertz rentals were GM(Cruze as an insurance rental, Equinox as a customer-pay one in LA). However, I remember the parents getting Foci or Taurii as rentals from Hertz.

Traditionally, Hertz was a Ford shop, Dollar/Thrifty was a Chrysler shop, Avis, Alamo, Enterprise and National were GM shops.

Back