2021 Tesla Model S, is it now the best Tesla choice?

I’d have a problem spending that much on something with 10 year old underpinnings but then again I have a problem spending that much on a depreciating asset like a car. Regardless this is easily the best looking car from Tesla.

The 3 is meh with a lame interior, their SUVs are so atrocious looking, they almost make the new GM trucks look good.

The Model S is incredibly dated, almost an outright fossil at this point.

Why would you want to buy a 10 year design from the so called company of the future?
The base, dated, fossil Model S goes 0 to 60 in 3.7 seconds, top speed of 155 MPH and a range of over 400 miles. $69,420 starting.
The drop dead gorgeous, newly developed 2021 e-tron does 5.7 0 to 60, 124 top speed, 222 range. $65,900 (but try and find one like that $75K is the starting point in my 'hood.).

The Porsche Taycan has been called the 1st real challenger to the Model S.
The Taycan's 0 to 60 is expected to be from 3.5 to 2.4 seconds depending on model. Range is 200 miles. It costs $105K to over $200K.

Oops. That dinasour Model S is holding up pretty well. By the way, the Plaid Model S will destroy that beautiful Porsche's times.
Having reviewed the facts, I am waiting for the Roadster 2.
All good.

Last edited:
The Taycan isn’t a model S competitor. Totally different league when it comes to quality, fit and finish, buyer type. Since when has Porsche been in line pricing wise with a main line manufacturer. Also it’ll smoke the Plaid S on the track after a few laps because Porsche made compromises to help with cooling and the demands of repeated hot laps.

Reactions: Y_K
The Model S is incredibly dated, almost an outright fossil at this point.

Why would you want to buy a 10 year design from the so called company of the future?
Tesla does constant improvements even within the same model year. They've changed the seats many times for example. Yes, the body style is similar since its debut. I think it is a good looking body, the best looking of the Tesla family at present.

The improvements have taken place while the price has slid downward. You used to pay 95k for a 100D Model S with 335 miles. Now, as we all know, its only sixty nine thou and change for 402 miles. If this improvement and price dropping continues i will be forced to buy one at some point. Maybe a $59k 440 mile model S in 2023?

That's the difference between the 505hp Z06 C6, and 638hp ZR1 C6...
Sure, but the regular Z06 is plenty for street driving. You don't buy a Model S for track use unless your talking about the Plaid model that is upcoming, and even then, its a heavy pig. Also the Z06 was vastly cheaper than the ZR1 C6, by what 30-40k? Anyone who wants to can pay another $22570 for the S Performance, 2.3 0-60, imo very excessive and not needed.

The Taycan isn’t a model S competitor. Totally different league when it comes to quality, fit and finish, buyer type. Since when has Porsche been in line pricing wise with a main line manufacturer. Also it’ll smoke the Plaid S on the track after a few laps because Porsche made compromises to help with cooling and the demands of repeated hot laps.
OK, but that's not what the reviews say. Maybe the Roadster 2 is a better comparison?

Running mid 11s is not "plenty". It's somewhat adequate and entering the world of "fast" but it won't satisfy a driver who demands real performance in the year 2020.
You are welcome to have a different standard of what is fast enough. It is just my opinion that once your into the sub 4 second 0-60 you are going quite fast on public roads. Remember when the original Fast and Furious came out? They made a huge deal about a "10 second car" because it was so hard to achieve at that time. A Ferrari F50 is only a 12 second car but i'd sure have fun driving it!

You are welcome to have a different standard of what is fast enough. It is just my opinion that once your into the sub 4 second 0-60 you are going quite fast on public roads. Remember when the original Fast and Furious came out? They made a huge deal about a "10 second car" because it was so hard to achieve at that time. A Ferrari F50 is only a 12 second car but i'd sure have fun driving it!
I agree. Cars can be really dangerous objects. Cars that fast are just that much more dangerous.
Most of the fast cars stick really well; when they do break loose they break fast.
Don't ask me how I know...

The Model S is the only attractively styled Tesla now available in my opinion. The Model Y and 3 have a face that only a mother could love. I know that (most) auto manufacturers want to have a style that is readily recognizable for their brand, with the current Lexus' being an example of just how hideous a car can be to achieve their goal, but Elon should really hire some new designers for the external appearance of his vehicles.

So the new Lucid Air will be $69,900. It won't be available for sale for another year and a half ! Where do you think Tesla will be by 2022 ? Probably still 5 years ahead of their competition. 0-60 times or quarter mile times that rival supercars is nice but in reality are not why 98% of people buy cars. When Tesla's have 600 mile + range and a 15 minute charge time (or quicker) to go from 20% to 80% and you can buy several models for under $40K, you can say bye Felecia to Porsche, Lucid, Audi, Polestar and probably all the rest of the manufacturers.

Lucid Air's base model will cost 69,900 AFTER the $7500 federal tax credit. So you are paying sales tax on that $7500 and waiting to get it back when you file taxes. You also have to owe at least $7500 federal to get the whole value of the credit. Also, Elon can just tweet out a price drop on any Tesla at anytime. He has the infrastructure in place to profitably sell his cars for less. Elon is like the Amazon of EVs. You simply cannot compete with him on price. You probably can't compete with the whole package either.

The Model S is the only attractively styled Tesla now available in my opinion. The Model Y and 3 have a face that only a mother could love. I know that (most) auto manufacturers want to have a style that is readily recognizable for their brand, with the current Lexus' being an example of just how hideous a car can be to achieve their goal, but Elon should really hire some new designers for the external appearance of his vehicles.

So the new Lucid Air will be $69,900. It won't be available for sale for another year and a half ! Where do you think Tesla will be by 2022 ? Probably still 5 years ahead of their competition. 0-60 times or quarter mile times that rival supercars is nice but in reality are not why 98% of people buy cars. When Tesla's have 600 mile + range and a 15 minute charge time (or quicker) to go from 20% to 80% and you can buy several models for under $40K, you can say bye Felecia to Porsche, Lucid, Audi, Polestar and probably all the rest of the manufacturers.

You may want to do the math on the grid requirements of trying to move that much power that quickly.

Let's say that's achieved with a 150kWh battery. A 60% charge on that battery is 90kWh, 90kWh of capacity in 15 minutes is a 360kW charge rate.

For DC fast charge that's a 900V DC link at 400A.

Then how do you bring that on the premises? A 400V 3-phase would pull 500A.

I really like what tesla did for EV's, but it's no secret that the model S can destroy itself within 1 lap on the nurburgring. Granted, that's 12 miles of going flat out and other than Pikes Peak Ii don't think anything else in the world comes close. The model 3 makes it to the end but with reduced power for half a lap. Regardless, 2 laps on 1 full battery so between 25 and 36 miles of range at those power levels...

I disagree with your opinion of the Tesla bodies. I think the Model 3 is fantastic, but that's just my opinion. I happen to like the Lexi as well, but again that's subjective. I am not a fan of the Model Y's looks; the only decent look is the white pearl which is luckily the base color. But the Y is a great driver's vehicle.

The $70K Lucid Air will not be available for quite awhile, but the way more expensive ones may be available in late spring 2021. We will see.
I also agree that off the charts 0 to 60 and quarter mile times are more for bragging rights than need. That's a key reason we bought the single motor RWD Model 3. It is more than fast enough.

Regarding charging and range, people seem to expect EVs to operate like ICE cars. These cars are different; you learn how to operate them.
I would humbly suggest you look at EV differently. Do you really need 600 mile range and 15 minute charge time? When do you drive more than 200 miles in a day? I start every day with a full tank and never stop at a gas station. If I did go, say 350 miles in 1 day, I would only need that 15 minutes charge time. Sure, more range is always great, but is it doable? At what cost and when will we see it?

But you are right, EVs are not for everybody. And Teslas are not for all EV owners. Forgetting price, my neighbor is on their 3rd EV. His wife thinks our Model 3 is too "big brother". The tech is a little much for her.

Sandy Munro agrees with your comments about Tesla being 5+ years ahead of the pack. Wonderful companies like MBZ, Poesche etc will close the gap, but they haven't done so yet.

I appreciate your comments.

I really like what tesla did for EV's, but it's no secret that the model S can destroy itself within 1 lap on the nurburgring. Granted, that's 12 miles of going flat out and other than Pikes Peak Ii don't think anything else in the world comes close. The model 3 makes it to the end but with reduced power for half a lap. Regardless, 2 laps on 1 full battery so between 25 and 36 miles of range at those power levels...
You know a high HP sports car would consume a ton of fuel running flat out as well. Of course, fueling it is a lot quicker...

Yes they do but i haven't heard of cars that can't do 4 laps, although supercars probably don't have big fuel tanks. More regular cars can do a dozen or more laps.

What I was more suprised about was that model S driven on the edge don't make the finish. Brakes are a big problem on all Teslas it seems. Maybe not for the roadster though. That's part due that you can't use regen braking or the battery pack overheats even quicker.

I wonder what something like an e-tron can do there, with obviously less power but also less range to start with.

If I want to take my family skiing the Tesla models are not useful as the charging network is sparse in New England.

Those range numbers presume perfect conditions. I would be scared to take a 299 mile range vehicle up as I am guessing maybe you get 60-70% of range in cold (correct me) and loaded up and heat/defrost blaring. Plugging into a regular outlet gives me 3 -5 miles per hour range and potentially worst if car is parked at low temp?

I really hope these become viable but New England they are out if you like to travel even a bit in to ME, NH, VT.

If I want to take my family skiing the Tesla models are not useful as the charging network is sparse in New England.

Those range numbers presume perfect conditions. I would be scared to take a 299 mile range vehicle up as I am guessing maybe you get 60-70% of range in cold (correct me) and loaded up and heat/defrost blaring. Plugging into a regular outlet gives me 3 -5 miles per hour range and potentially worst if car is parked at low temp?

I really hope these become viable but New England they are out if you like to travel even a bit in to ME, NH, VT.
SuperCharger Map

Back