2021 GM 3.6 recommendations

LGZ/LGX are basically the same. Yeah it was a significant upgrade.

"The LGX and LGZ engines are basically identical, with the exception that the LGX was designed with car applications in mind and the LGZ is designed for the 2017+ mid size truck (Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon)."

LGZ/LGX are basically the same. Yeah it was a significant upgrade.

"The LGX and LGZ engines are basically identical, with the exception that the LGX was designed with car applications in mind and the LGZ is designed for the 2017+ mid size truck (Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon)."
The Traverse still has the first generation engine with the three chain system. Most important is timely oil changes with Dexos1 gen2 5w-30 The newer Acadia, Cadillacs, Camaro, and Colorado have the new generation 3.6L with the new timing drive system

As stated above, any good oil meeting the proper specs will work - Supertech synthetic comes to mind as an excellent choice if looking for value and performance for the dollar. I service several 3.6's with it and most have over 40-50k without issue and the one I removed valve covers on looked perfectly clean.

Me personally, I have run Mobil 1 since new in my 08 CTS 3.6DI because M1 was the factory fill. Around 80k I did switch to the high mileage version of mobil 1 and still using that at the current 190k. At 175k, I replaced the high pressure pump and all 6 fuel injectors and the motor was spotless inside.

I don't see the Colorado or Canyon on the vehicle list in the article.
The new design started first with Cadillac and GMC FWD cars. The truck version is called LGZ:

"The 3.6L V-6 LGZ is a gasoline engine produced by General Motors for mid-sized pickup trucks and SUVs. Displacing 3.6 liters in a V-6 configuration, the LGZ is part of GM’s second-generation double-overhead-cam engine architecture. It replaces the 3.6L V-6 LFX engine in the 2017 Chevrolet Colorado and 2017 GMC Canyon."

Yep, as others have said, any D1G2 5W30 will serve you well. I have the older 3.6 V6 which is notorious for timing chain issues in 2013 and earlier models and was updated in 2014. I have used many different D1G2 5W30 oils (what ever was on sale) and notice no difference at all between them. My 3.6 runs quite well, no complaints at all.

Wouldn't M1 0w30 be a good oil for the 3.6L? I've noticed it's been in my local Walmart's more lately. Knowing that 0wXX oils generally use a better base stock than 5wXX oils is my basis for the consideration. I'm not suggesting definitively that it is superior to any other oil. I'm kinda curious myself what others have to say.

Wouldn't M1 0w30 be a good oil for the 3.6L? I've noticed it's been in my local Walmart's more lately. Knowing that 0wXX oils generally use a better base stock than 5wXX oils is my basis for the consideration. I'm not suggesting definitively that it is superior to any other oil. I'm kinda curious myself what others have to say.
I think M1 0W30 AFE just changed and isn't quite as good as it once was.

Ahh, I haven't looked too deep into it yet. I would be surprised that M1 would go backwards. But it may be due to emissions standards I suppose which drives many decisions.
I think it happened during the SP switch. I think they just changed the base stock away from as much PAO as they were known for.

Think the 30 is 30% whereas the 20 EP is 60-70% based on an SDS this summer …
That sounds right. I think 5W30 EP is about the same or close to 30% as well.

We have a few recent posts about the pour point on AFE changing, so might be worth a read if anyone as interested in it.

Just let the dealer do it, for $60 it makes no sense IMO for me to worry myself about it anymore. I can't buy the filter & 6 qts. of oil for that price and then have to go through the hassle of changing it myself. In the end the engine will last and based on my driving the OLM usually has me at a 6K OCI. If it's a new car why add that to warranty issue.

Just let the dealer do it, for $60 it makes no sense IMO for me to worry myself about it anymore. I can't buy the filter & 6 qts. of oil for that price and then have to go through the hassle of changing it myself. In the end the engine will last and based on my driving the OLM usually has me at a 6K OCI. If it's a new car why add that to warranty issue.
Me personally? The staff at my local dealer are a bunch of knuckleheads. They leave the car a mess, strip drain bolts, and overtighten oil filters. My Cruze was not backspec'd to 0W20 like the 18s and 19s are. I just happened to look up the part number on my invoice and it said 0W20. Back in it had to go and get drained and refilled. I brought my car for the initial few oil changes and then stopped, even though it has "free lube for life". After about 3 or 4 my drain bolt was already destroyed. Not that replacing it is some big expenditure, but I know they aren't taking care with my car. Plus an oil change at my dealer can take an hour or more because they are always behind at the last appointment is a 3:30PM. At that point, screw it.

Plus they like to stick a PF64 on my car, where it calls out for a UPF64R for the 16.5's and 17s with the higher bypass rating. The 18 and 19s that switched to 0W20 do not. There is no aftermarket filter that meets that spec except the UPF64R as fair as I know. Fram and Wix come close, but do not. Even with the tech bulletin in hand they won't do a UPF64R. I'd imagine it's one more part to stock, and its not a cheap filter they order in quantity.

The local Valvoline pays more than the chain of dealerships in my area pays lube technicians. I know that for a fact which also makes me not want much to do with them. Plus an oil change is dead simple on both the cars I care for. I get under and check CVs, brakes, subframe condition, bushings, and whatever else I can see.

I'll take the time to do it myself and not hope didn't someone double gasketed me, grabbed the wrong oil gun, installed the wrong filter, cranked my drain bolt to 200ft lbs, or sat their oily ass in my clean seats. I know it's done right with the exact oil I want, and if I wanna let it drain for half an hour I can.

I think back to this thread I posted a few years ago - https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/why-i-hate-dealer-changes-how-about-you.256257

Last edited:
Back