2021 GM 3.6 recommendations

New Chevy Traverse RS in our stable and of course I need to pick an oil brand for it. What are folks having good success with in these engines? Engine uses 5W-30 dexos, gen2.

Last edited:
Oh, ok. Any full synthetic that meets the manufacturers specifications. Does it require Dexos 2 approval? Not all Mobil 1 has that.
Checked it when I posted, M1 5W-30 has Dexos 2 License

New Chevy Traverse RS in our stable and of course I need to pick an oil brand for it. What are folks having good success with in these engines? Engine uses 5W-30 dexos, gen2.
I have a 2017 GMC Canyon with the current version of the 3.6. Great engine, good power but also good gas mileage if you don't drive it like you stole it. Mine calls for Dexos 5W-30 but I have had the best luck with Castrol Magnatec. When using Mobil 1 there would be what sounded like the cam phasers rattling before they pumped up with oil pressure that lasted a second or so on a cold start. Since switching to Magnatec I do not hear the start up rattle.

And if someone chimes in and tells you don't buy it because the timing chains will grenade the engine don't pay them any mind. The 3.6 was redesigned about 7 years ago with revised and shorter timing chains plus it has an internal catch can device that traps oil vapors before they can reach the valves thus avoiding the carbon build on the back side of the valves that some DI engines have. I have seen no reports from owners of the current 3.6 about having problems with this engine.

Because it is a DI engine I change the oil about every 5-6,000 miles, usually at about 75-80% on the oil life monitor.

M1 0-20AFE or EP. Order online from WM.

Cheapest dexos,usually supertech. Buy ac delco filters from rockauto or walmart,only to grease the wheels of warranty needed.

And if someone chimes in and tells you don't buy it because the timing chains will grenade the engine don't pay them any mind. The 3.6 was redesigned about 7 years ago with revised and shorter timing chains plus it has an internal catch can device that traps oil vapors before they can reach the valves thus avoiding the carbon build on the back side of the valves that some DI engines have. I have seen no reports from owners of the current 3.6 about having problems with this engine.
That is correct.

I have a 2017 GMC Canyon with the current version of the 3.6. Great engine, good power but also good gas mileage if you don't drive it like you stole it. Mine calls for Dexos 5W-30 but I have had the best luck with Castrol Magnatec. When using Mobil 1 there would be what sounded like the cam phasers rattling before they pumped up with oil pressure that lasted a second or so on a cold start. Since switching to Magnatec I do not hear the start up rattle.

Because it is a DI engine I change the oil about every 5-6,000 miles, usually at about 75-80% on the oil life monitor.
Great advice.

Besides Magnatec, which I have used and like, may I also recommend D1G2 oils of similar value and performance -- both Quaker State Full Synthetic 5W-30 and Costco's Kirkland Signature 5W-30. Both of these have performed well in Chevy DI 4-cyl Equinox and my Silverado with a Gen III 5.3L.

Back