2021 Ford Explorer XLT 2.3L Ecoboost

Id change it at 1K or 2K and then follow the owner's manual or maintenance minder. As Ive said before, the OEMs spend millions and millions of dollars developing these engines and know more about them than we ever will. If they say 10K, you can take it to the bank.

Id change it at 1K or 2K and then follow the owner's manual or maintenance minder. As Ive said before, the OEMs spend millions and millions of dollars developing these engines and know more about them than we ever will. If they say 10K, you can take it to the bank.

If that were the case recalls and TSB's wouldn't be a thing. Manufacturers get it wrong ALL the time. You can't blame some of us for making an educated guess on past experience with a design (Timing chain) when we want our vehicles to far outlast the factory warranty.

It ain’t like old times Billy.
275 lb/ft of torque at 2000rpm...I'd say pretty well.

1631062137711.jpg

This is out of the manual. I think following the severe schedule is probably a good middle ground, and if you're using full synthetic and a good oil filter, probably go for the higher end of that 5k-7.5k interval.

1631067017526.png

The wording makes it sound like the OLM will actually decided and pop-up the oil change reminder message based on those listed use conditions. Ford doesn't say anything about an early oil change because they want you to run it per the recommended service interval. I don't think any modern car maker says to do an early oil change. Only motorcycles seem to be the only ones stating that anymore.

I am currently at 92% with 1059 miles, and I wouldn't say my driving has been quite severe, but it definitely hasn't been "normal" per Fords definition.

At this rate, and assuming nothing changes, it would bring me to nearly 13k miles, which is insane! There is NO way I would go that long, on conventional oil, or even synthetic. I'm assuming though the OLM will probably settle into something lower as it learns my driving habits, probably something in the 75-100 mile per OLM% range.
They also state a 1 year max OCI regardless of mileage on the oil. The OLM should also be taking time into consideration. The Ford OLM will count down from 100% to 0% in a year even if the vehicle sits in the garage for a year and is never driven.

They also state a 1 year max OCI regardless of mileage on the oil. The OLM should also be taking time into consideration. The Ford OLM will count down from 100% to 0% in a year even if the vehicle sits in the garage for a year and is never driven.
They wouldn't do that, imagine buying a 'new' car off the lot (that had been sitting a while) and it screaming for an oil change. Not likely now, but 'back in the day' (2018/19 LOL) I'm sure there were plenty of cars/trucks that sat around.

They wouldn't do that, imagine buying a 'new' car off the lot (that had been sitting a while) and it screaming for an oil change. Not likely now, but 'back in the day' (2018/19 LOL) I'm sure there were plenty of cars/trucks that sat around.
I know that they do that ... because I have a Ford that does do that. I see the OLM click down ~2% a week (100% to 0% in 52 weeks) in the garage when it's just sitting there over the winter time.

I know that they do that ... because I have a Ford that does do that. I see the OLM click down ~2% a week (100% to 0% in 52 weeks) in the garage when it's just sitting there over the winter time.
My Mustang convertible was asking for an oil change at 600 miles.....at exactly one year. It got one.

Just changed the oil and filter today for the first time at 1300 miles (OLM at 90%). Used Supertech Advanced 5w-30 Full Synthetic with a Fram Ultra Synthetic 20k oil filter.

Didn't reset the OLM, considering if I should change the oil again at the regular OLM interval, 5k or 7.5k miles?

I'll probably end up doing a UOA right before the 3rd oil change, guessing around 15k miles to see how the Supertech and Fram combo are doing.

This is out of the manual. I think following the severe schedule is probably a good middle ground, and if you're using full synthetic and a good oil filter, probably go for the higher end of that 5k-7.5k interval.
That is like the owners manual in my 2015 2.7 Ecoboost F150. I do an early oil change on the engine and the drive line. But that is just me. I try to keep my vehicles a minimum of 10 years so hopefully the maintenance pays off but If I turned over the vehicles sooner I would not spend the money.

Noticed today when checking the dipstick (engine was off for about 1 hour but still hot) that the oil level is above the top hole of the stick, meaning it's to high. I didn't notice any air bubbles in the oil though, so I'm hopeful it's not to full. I'll be checking the level again tomorrow morning before I crank up.

Question is, what is the best position for the vehicle to drain the most oil from the engine? My driveway is graded down away from the house, and I had the vehicle facing the house AND on ramps, so the engine would have been at a steeper angle relative to the vehicle than usual.

Is that the best angle? Or would level be better?

There is no factory separator on the Explorer, which is unfortunate as you can see. All those 2.3L Ecoboosts sucking oil into the intake and ending up on the valve's!

This is installed on the PVC, so "dirty side".

Back