2020 transit NA 3.5 oil suggestions

Just picked up a used 2020 Transit 250 with the NA 3.5 that has both port injection along with direct injection. 61k miles and unsure if the past history.

Going to run a bottle of redline Si-1 through it on the next two fill ups then change the oil.

What oils would you guys recommend?

I normally run Amsoil in all my other vehicles and have nothing bad to say, but honestly I haven’t run any UOA’s in the past on it either.

Edit: van is used for work DD, located in NC so in the summer it gets hot, our winters are pretty mild

Was it low on oil? does it burn? that's usually the indication of poor maintenance. I'd just check the color of the oil on a white paper towel. If its a light brown at most I'd just run it for at least 500 miles then check the level. If it's more dark then change it and check the level. If some disappears after 500 miles then I'd try that. If the level doesn't budge then don't bother with it and just use some 30 grade oil anyway.

You didn't mention the intended OCI, so I'll assume it's OEM IOLM or less ...
The Ford Cyclone engines (3.3, 3.5, 3.7) in their NA form are very solid engines and frankly it won't matter one iota what oil you use as long as it's spec'd for the application. Any SP rated oil will be just fine. Amsoil or RL will do well, but so would any house brand like ST or Kirkland.

You didn't mention the intended OCI, so I'll assume it's OEM IOLM or less ...
The Ford Cyclone engines (3.3, 3.5, 3.7) in their NA form are very solid engines and frankly it won't matter one iota what oil you use as long as it's spec'd for the application. Any SP rated oil will be just fine. Amsoil or RL will do well, but so would any house brand like ST or Kirkland.
OCI I’d like around 5-7k, never been a fan of going longer.

Saw something on a newer M1 blend that maybe I’d try, or just stick with what I normally run (Amsoil sig series)

Its true I tried 5W20, 5W30 and 5W40...tried a bunch of oils. The testing proved it didnt matter what I put in.

Just about everything on the shelf at Walmart ia full synthetic. I would say go with any full synthetic that meets the requirements listed in the owners manual. Save the Amsoil. Cheapest one you get at Walmart.

My 3.7L calls for 5w-20. Here in AZ., I'm sure 5w-30 would work well also. But so far, solid engine and hauls my Transit around just fine.

If your not brand loyal and just want a good off the shelf oil
QS FS 5W-30 will serve you well

Ended up having Amsoil SS 5w-30 ordered with a Amsoil filter. Ran a bottle of the engine flush through the engine and changed the oil.

SI-1 fuel system cleaner ran through, and have run 2 tanks of e85. Makes me feel like I’ve treated this new to us van to a spa day.

Back