2020 Toyota Tundra 1794 Edition CrewMax Review

It's extremely difficult to hit-or even break 20mpg in a Tundra on the highway for what ever reasons. The Silverado and F150 can do it all day long. Not sure about if hemi in the RAM can-maybe an owner can chime in.
Been averaging 17.5-18.5mpg just driving to and from work in my Ram, generally with MDS disabled. Should be able to hit 20+ on the highway with MDS on no problem.

That’s a wonderful color truck. That trim package is great too. Someone on my other forum just asked me my thoughts on one and I told them they are great trucks especially that package.

I've got a 2014 Tundra SR5 5.7 V8 that has been a great truck. It drives decently well for the age of the platform and has been dead reliable at 90k miles. I cannot agree, however, that these trucks have the nicest interior. All of the domestic trucks are far nicer inside, even comparing the 1794 edition. The domestics all ride better as well. For me, that was a secondary consideration to long-term durability and reliability. My previous truck was a 2005 Ford F250 with the 6.0 Powerstroke. Needless to say, it was a disappointment. I had numerous engine issues - mostly out of warranty - and lots of minor issues with the truck including electrical gremlins, problems with the 4x4 system (especially the hubs), cooling system leaks, ball joints, bushings, steering gearbox, tie rods, vacuum leaks, HVAC system. About the only thing that was completely reliable was the Torqshift 5R110 transmission.

One weird change Toyota made this year was to remove the external trans oil cooler. I cannot understand why the engineers thought that was a good idea. My guess is it was a cost-cutting move on their part. TFL recently did a video and showed the Tundra transmission now runs much hotter than a Chevy towing an identical load.

That’s a wonderful color truck. That trim package is great too. Someone on my other forum just asked me my thoughts on one and I told them they are great trucks especially that package.

You should mention to them to wait until they come out (end of 2021) with the 3.5 V6 with twin turbos (like ecoboost). The new trucks will have as much power as the old ones and get significantly better than the abysmal mileage they now get. I am even going to look at one when they come out.

You should mention to them to wait until they come out (end of 2021) with the 3.5 V6 with twin turbos (like ecoboost). The new trucks will have as much power as the old ones and get significantly better than the abysmal mileage they now get. I am even going to look at one when they come out.

True. I didn’t even think about that when talking with them.

That is what my 1 ton gasser gets for MPGs. That surprises me.
But can it do this:

017E5392-19C6-4599-959B-BA7C9DA6B34A.jpg

Looked at Tundra a few months ago before buying the Laramie. The super high seats were a deal breaker. In the passenger seat you are **** near hitting your head on the ceiling and it is not adjustable. The drivers seat is adjustable but not much better. Our Highlander has the same problem, especially on the passenger side, but the Tundra is a whole nother level.

And the RAM Longhorn has the nicest interior in a half ton.

This doesn't really come off as a review but rather a puff piece
21.gif

The fake wood reminds me of a 2011 GMC and it is the thirstiest truck in its class.

Whenever I do a review (and I've done several) I try and break it down into pros and cons. This entire piece was raving about the pros with almost no attention given to the cons, which makes it come across as extremely biased.

While I appreciate the time you put into writing it, I implore you to employ a greater degree of objectivity going forward.
Cut and Pasted from C/D, M/T or Road and Track was my first impression lol

With the Tundra, one could go out and buy a used 2014 model... and then convince everyone that it is a brand new 2020 model.

Can't do that with any other manufacturer.
thumbsup2.gif
A friend bought a 2017, and I can’t tell if it’s a new truck or not. It might be thirsty and “old” but it’s a Toyota. ‘Nuff said.

oil changes are a doable but not that pleasant to do. I suggested to him an aftermarket skid plate or cut a hole in it.

I always liked the styling on the Tundras even if they are an older platform. One question: is it true that this V8 engine is an ergonomic nightmare when replacing the starter? I seem to recall Toyota V8s in a number of vehicles (big lexus sedans for example) made for a RPITA when changing out the starters?

I’ve driven The Critic’s Ram 1500 Laramie, I don’t think it has leather but it’s very luxury car like. If there is one thing Fiat is doing right with Chrysler, they’ve stepped Mopar’s interior game up.
Mine is a Big Horn, so no leather.

I always liked the styling on the Tundras even if they are an older platform. One question: is it true that this V8 engine is an ergonomic nightmare when replacing the starter? I seem to recall Toyota V8s in a number of vehicles (big lexus sedans for example) made for a RPITA when changing out the starters?
The starter was relocated on the UR-series V8s. But another PITA exists - the secondary air injection system.

Yes...Got to remove the passenger side exhaust manifold which requires removing the catalyst/up-pipe, & heat shields. This is for the UR 4.6L & 5.7L engines.....The earlier UZ 4.7L had the starter under the Intake Manifold.

The new 22 Tundra’s and Sliverado refresh are nice. Chevy finally put a big infotainment in there trucks bout time . And we all know GM builds a better 10speed than Toyota and V8 😎😎😂

Back