2020 Ram 1500 (DT) - 25,000 mile update

Glad I grabbed a Classic (DS) instead.

I do have a check engine light, but it’s an evap code that popped up after they replaced the gas tank due to a failed rollover valve in the tank…. And then I neglected to make use of the warranty that is now expired. 🤷🏻‍♂️
You might have 8/80 emissions coverage
Look into that

Going forward the OP may not have any more problems.
That 2001 Dakota I had could have been an outlier.
I considered a new Ram Super Cab with the 3.6 Pentastar. I couldn’t find one near me. So, the F-150 Super Cab became my choice. I never considered the Chevrolet Silverado. It is just too darned ugly. The GMC Sierra looked good from the outside however, the interior was very dated and uncomfortable.
If you like the looks and features of the Ram, by all means give it a look.

Issue is that I only paid $33K + tax for it. I really don't need a truck, but I also cannot find anything with a similar amount of space (or utility) for the same price range.

TSB's are just published solutions to "known" issues. Owners are only notified of RRT's and recalls.
At first i was like "what only 33k" so i went to read your original post i missed. I didn't know you paid that little for a crew cab 5.7 big horn, that's a steal. That's about as much as i paid for my 03 sierra slt with options though in a 2wd ext cab not a 4 door. That's a great value you got there. Considering that I'd keep it instead. Warranty excluded repair costs are basically covered by the savings.

Yikes that thing has been a heap.

But considering how little you paid for it and what the current market is, I'd ride out that extended warranty until the end.

Wow! Makes me appreciate my 2018 ram. Had my 3rd brake light leak at 35,980 miles (waranteed just in time) then at 60k it leaked again and i fixed it for good with rv marine weather stripping. And at 65k i did the driver rear brake pad and rotor. At 90k i did both side front pads as they were getting thin and at 99,920 miles i had to do the passenger rear pads and rotor. I was hoping for 100k out of them pads but not quite
According to the carfax my truck pretty much lived at the dealer for the first 2 years/25k miles. Since I got it in late 2018 I've had no issues other than leaking exhaust manifolds. I'm at 58k miles now.

But considering how little you paid for it and what the current market is, I'd ride out that extended warranty until the end.
Yeah that's what i'd do. Anything not included by the warranty is basically covered from the big savings.

On one hand, that's what warranties are for. On the other, that's a lot of repairs needed this early! Hopefully moving forward during your ownership it will only need regular maintenance! Our 11 year old Accord has only needed a set of calipers and a wheel bearing. The 2 year old Jetta has needed a fuel pump and rear brakes (covered under extended warranty). That was enough for me! There is something to be said about dated but tried and true tech.

I seem to remember quite a bit of drama with the VCT solenoid, bump starting the engine and worrying about stretched timing chains with that Accord. Also quite a bit of chatter about the paint quality and rusting doors. I'm sure I missed a few things but that's not at all a complete account of the issues you have experienced.

To be honest, not sure if the Tundra's mileage is as terrible as people make it out to be. My truck gets between 14-16 mpg depending on the length of my city trips and 20-22 on the hwy.
Oh, it’s as bad as they make it out to be. I actually keep a log book (no surprise, right?) and when I go back over it, I get about 14 around town. 17 on the Highway.

Exactly what was on the window sticker.

I seem to remember quite a bit of drama with the VCT solenoid, bump starting the engine and worrying about stretched timing chains with that Accord. Also quite a bit of chatter about the paint quality and rusting doors. I'm sure I missed a few things but that's not at all a complete account of the issues you have experienced.
You have a good memory, better than mine. Just went back through all my records and will update. I did forget the rust. Though it was minimal, the metal surrounding the rubber door checks at the bottom of each door was rusting. I was firm with Honda regarding this and they covered the repairs at a local shop and since then (7 years ago) have had no issues with rust there, or anywhere else. I've always wondered if the cars first years of being on the coast had anything to do with that. VCT solenoid was replaced under warranty per a TSB. The old (original) rattled, the new one rattles, though less frequently. It's a noise issue, not a performance / reliability issue. No problems with timing chain or any concerns. They seem to last 200K+ miles with the VTC's rattling all the way. Maybe you were thinking of the 2014 Jetta? Was concerned about that timing chain, engine started exhibiting signs of a stretched / worn chain and we traded before we could experience that. That car certainly had a fair amount of work done during our 6 year ownership, 9 issues/repairs to be exact in addition to a few software updates under warranty. So, recap: during first months of my ownership had the small rust spots taken care of and VTC actuator replaced. About a year or so later had the rear calipers and one hub assembly replaced. As far as the paint goes, it's Honda single stage paint. It is behaving as expected for single stage paint. The car is currently 11 years old and looks a lot better than most 4-5 year old cars I see driving around. That's all I can say about that. "Not at all a complete list of issues" is a bit of a stretch I think. Just thinking about the other vehicles in the family the short list of repairs this car has needed over my ownership is less than many other vehicles owned over a much shorter period of time. I'm quite happy with it and hope to get many more years of service. It still drives like new.

Last edited:

Not exactly a heap. I’ve driven OP’s Ram and it’s a nice truck, outfit ideally. Has a nice sound, ok ride (firmer than I’d have thought), comfortable.

OP knows his stuff. The truck is getting sorted. It should be good for a few hundred k after all this. Unless the 48v battery becomes unobtanium.

Not exactly a heap. I’ve driven OP’s Ram and it’s a nice truck, outfit ideally. Has a nice sound, ok ride (firmer than I’d have thought), comfortable.

OP knows his stuff. The truck is getting sorted. It should be good for a few hundred k after all this. Unless the 48v battery becomes unobtanium.
I mean I'm sure it's a nice truck. If I were buying a truck from the big 3, it would probably be a Ram. But this thing is a bit worse mechanically than my Genesis was. And it had 80k miles when I sold it.

We just passed 25,000 on our 2018 Big Horn crew cab with a 5.7. Only thing I’ve done is the tailgate recall, oil changes and proactively changed the battery. Looking to replace the tires soon, although the factory Goodyears have been just fine for a highway cruiser/grocery getter.

I mean I'm sure it's a nice truck. If I were buying a truck from the big 3, it would probably be a Ram. But this thing is a bit worse mechanically than my Genesis was. And it had 80k miles when I sold it.
There's no way it has been worse than your Genesis, lol. I think in terms of cost, it is roughly the same:
Nick1994 said:
I paid like $3,300 for the Hyundai warranty on my Genesis and it paid out $11k within a 1 year timeframe before I sold it. Should have kept that car to the end of the warranty.
And that was within less than a 12-month period, correct?

You listed new:
- control arms
- water pump
- a/c compressor and idler pulley
- side mirror
- transmission mount
- sunroof guides
- radiator fan motor

I know a lot of those the dealer was just firing the parts cannon at it from what you indicated in your thread though.

This was on a vehicle that was 4 years old already and would have had any early issues like the OP's dealt with under warranty by the first owner I assume.

There's no way it has been worse than your Genesis, lol. I think in terms of cost, it is roughly the same:

And that was within less than a 12-month period, correct?

You listed new:
- control arms
- water pump
- a/c compressor and idler pulley
- side mirror
- transmission mount
- sunroof guides
- radiator fan motor

I know a lot of those the dealer was just firing the parts cannon at it from what you indicated in your thread though.

This was on a vehicle that was 4 years old already and would have had any early issues like the OP's dealt with under warranty by the first owner I assume.
Yes I had it all worked on within 12 months, but those were mostly lingering problems, they didn’t happen all at once. The control arms were $5k, and that was a far stretch having those replaced. They said it was clunking, but it wasn’t. I would have complained about it. The water pump did suddenly leak, the idler pulley was the dealer firing the parts cannon at it, they ended up replacing the A/C compressor for a faint whining sound. It whined when I bought it. The mirror died suddenly. The transmission mount was bad when I bought it. The sunroof was slow when I bought it. And the radiator fan squeaked (quietest squeak ever) when I bought it.

Edit: The bad transmission mount wasn’t apparent on the test drive. I noticed it rough downshifting later that week. I for some reason didn’t open the sunroof during the test drive. And the radiator fan squeak was so faint you could mostly only hear it when in a drive thru, with the wall right up against the side of the car.

What do you mean? I get 13.5mpg on average! Practically a Prius!
Sometime ago I had a Ford F250 with a gasser and 4.10 gears in the differential.

With a good tail wind and going down a hill I could easily get over 13 miles to the gallon. At all other times 11-12 was the number. Luckily it had a 29 gallon fuel tank which meant I only had to fill it a few times a week.

For at least a year, I have heard a light clatter/tick when the engine was cold, but the noise fully went away once warmed up. I always thought it was "normal HEMI noise," but I recently started smelling a slight exhaust odor as well. That's when I had the dealer look into it.

Yes, but the Ram was $10k cheaper.

Hoping I won't have to use it since I bought the one with the money-back option, but that is probably wishful thinking.
Have dealer check manifold bolts.

Also, the Ram recommends 89 for optimal performance. 5.7L HEMI only, not the other powertrains. And yes, there is a noticeable difference in driveability.

Tundra specs 87.
I had a 2011 hemi , 1500 and now drive a 16 hemi with hemi. Could never tell the difference between running 87 or 89 octane. Possibly because in the tristate area, all that’s available is ethanol gas.

Manifolds crack on the new design ones, bolts are usually fine.
If it's a Hemi we just assume there is a problem with the manifold or its bolts. Lol. Although you can tell when the sound is not an exhaust leak and actually cam and lifters.

Although you can tell when the sound is not an exhaust leak and actually cam and lifters.
0000623_5w30-motor-oil_464.png
Red Line 5W-30 is called "HEMI Honey" for a reason... :rolleyes:

Back