2020 Ram 1500 (DT) - 25,000 mile update

I suppose, but best I can tell, all of this happened while he is still within the 3/36 and/or 5/60 warranty. At this rate, everything that was going to break, may already have before the $$$$ extended warranty kicks in. Wishful thinking :)
True but the sheer cost of some potential repairs makes an extended warranty seem like a good idea these days. My neighbors brand new Ram warrior needed a new radio/touch screen under warranty. They told him if it hadn't been warranty the part would have been $7000. I could probably buy another 2005 Silverado just like mine for that price.

True but the sheer cost of some potential repairs makes an extended warranty seem like a good idea these days. My neighbors brand new Ram warrior needed a new radio/touch screen under warranty. They told him if it hadn't been warranty the part would have been $7000. I could probably buy another 2005 Silverado just like mine for that price.
That dealer is ripping people off if they’re charging that just for the screen! They’re like $1,100 MSRP.

That dealer is ripping people off if they’re charging that just for the screen! They’re like $1,100 MSRP.
Maybe it's gone down since then? That was 3 years ago. I can't find anything but aftermarket replacements when I search it. Do you have a part number just out of curiosity?

On one hand, that's what warranties are for. On the other, that's a lot of repairs needed this early! Hopefully moving forward during your ownership it will only need regular maintenance! Our 11 year old Accord has only needed a set of calipers and a wheel bearing. The 2 year old Jetta has needed a fuel pump and rear brakes (covered under extended warranty). That was enough for me! There is something to be said about dated but tried and true tech.

In my opinion the domestics have the edge in looks, overall performance. You're trading off some reliability though, generally speaking. I always wanted a Tacoma, until I drove one.
It does seem like RAM/Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep push the limits on low quality specs for their parts, more than some manufacturers do.
I really want to convince myself a 6-7 Cadillac ATS wouldn't be all that expensive to run, but it seems they are cheap because they can be a PITA with major and minor part failures that really shouldn't be failing...
Toyota seems to put the highest reliability parts in their cars and have conservative designs, maybe then Honda, Subaru?
GM trucks seem to be pretty good now too? I rarely read anything bad about them in my internet travels. In the under $40k SUV market I don't like GM or Ford though. To many new engines, transmissions, platforms, and GM and Ford historically is not afraid of selling cars they know are junk...
My Dad's 2018 simple RAM truck hasn't had an issue needing repair at all yet, other than the front shocks seem soft already at 20k miles? So maybe its just luck of the draw?

Maybe it's gone down since then? That was 3 years ago. I can't find anything but aftermarket replacements when I search it. Do you have a part number just out of curiosity?
I looked it up on eBay then went to a Mopar parts site for a new OEM price, could be wrong but that’s all I could find that wasn’t a 8.4” unit. Though in typical fashion there’s a bunch of part numbers that visually are identical but may or may not work on other years lol
C3D143FF-0AAE-46F1-B631-487C5A86ADB2.png

In my opinion the domestics have the edge in looks, overall performance. You're trading off some reliability though, generally speaking. I always wanted a Tacoma, until I drove one.
Or if you’re really going to use it. My FILs business couldn’t run Toyota because of weak drivetrains and frames. And they drive nothing but for personal use.

He had a tundra that the frame rotted out. Salt air sure, but somehow fords don’t do it. They just break their cab mounts sometimes.

Every one has its pros and cons. Except for the 94-98 Ram CTD of course.

Reminds me of my parents going to the VFW on Thursdays for spaghetti dinner, they said it wasn't very good but it was only $3 a plate. 😣

How many days was the truck out of service?
If OP has another vehicle, what difference does it make? For now it’s all being handled by warranty. Hopefully after this it’s a well sorted truck.
View attachment 145103

Previous thread:

Warranty Repairs:
- Tailgate Cable had too much slack (TSB #23-025-20, 1k miles)
- Oil Cooler Leaking (6K miles)
- R/F Wheel Bearing Leaking Grease (6K miles)
- Poor A/C Performance, replaced HVAC Housing (TSB #24-001-20, 12K)
- Hood Latch Connector was not fully seated and came off (plugged back in myself)
- 48V Battery Pack Failure (23K miles)
- Water leak at Rear Sliding Window (TSB #23-016-21, 24k miles)
- Failed Belt Tensioner, noisy at cold start (25K miles, tensioner is available but the one-time use stretch belt is currently on backorder)
- Both Exhaust Manifolds cracked (TSB #09-011-20, 25K miles, one side is currently on backorder with no ETA)

Software updates for rough idle (TSB #18-022-21), back-up sensors and steering motor noise (TSB #08-137-21 REV B). Tailgate recall.

I will be out of the 3/36K warranty in June, but will have Maxcare Coverage until 6/2028 or 125K miles. :D

My overall thoughts on the truck are unchanged since the 10K mile review. For my purposes, it is comfortable and does the job. Considering the purchase price, Ram delivers a lot of feature content for the money. But the number of warranty repairs at low-mileage is a bit concerning and parts availability continues to be a struggle.

I do wonder how many of those things a typical owner would overlook or not notice. You’re more informed, more aware, more connected than your run of the mill owner. Some anyone might notice and pursue. Others maybe not.

Maxcare is a Mopar warranty, but it excludes the 48V pack. The pack is about $2k for the part alone.
Wait what? The extended warranty excludes it? what a rip, especially since there's a deductible. At least it was covered under the standard powertrain warranty so you didn't have to pay. But that's absurd, It should definitely be covered under the ext warranty's mechanical protection. It may not be mechanical on it's own but without it the mechanical hybrid system won't work and that's definitely a direct part of the drivetrain which moves the truck under it's own power.

It also appears that both mopar and carmax offer the same maxcare named extended warranty which is odd. Surprised one hasn't sued the other yet.

My 07 Ram Laramie has been great. In the last year I have had a fuel pump failure at 223K and a spider gear failure caused by me at 224K. Spider broke when I hit dry pavement when leaving my sheet of ice driveway. I did both repairs myself as it is pretty simple to work on. The 5.7 Hemi has been reliable, has plenty of power to tow my 5th wheel and uses less than a quart of oil in 5K change interval. I took it to the dealer for air bag recalls and the service advisors said " why did we ever change from making this model" when he started it and looked at the odometer.

Reminds me of my parents going to the VFW on Thursdays for spaghetti dinner, they said it wasn't very good but it was only $3 a plate. 😣

How many days was the truck out of service?
In total, probably 3 weeks for all of the repairs. With the exception of the 48v battery (which required engineering review) plus 7-10 days for the part to come in, most of the repairs were completed in one day once the part arrived. Waiting for parts was the biggest delay - most parts were at least a week out, if not backorder.

I do wonder how many of those things a typical owner would overlook or not notice. You’re more informed, more aware, more connected than your run of the mill owner. Some anyone might notice and pursue. Others maybe not.
Fair enough.

Wait what? The extended warranty excludes it? what a rip, especially since there's a deductible. At least it was covered under the standard powertrain warranty so you didn't have to pay. But that's absurd, It should definitely be covered under the ext warranty's mechanical protection. It may not be mechanical on it's own but without it the mechanical hybrid system won't work and that's definitely a direct part of the drivetrain which moves the truck under it's own power.
Maxcare excludes high-voltage batteries and most cosmetic items. The rear slider is also a concern - the leak seems to reoccur and each replacement is about $2K. Maxcare excludes it.

Since ours was a VERY early build, we knew we'd probably have a few TSB's, which we did, for minor things. Only semi-major one has been the rear window. I was told that it's an updated part that won't crack like the original, guess we'll see how that plays out. We are at just under 80,000km now (50,000 miles) so roughly twice the mileage you have on yours.

In total, probably 3 weeks for all of the repairs. With the exception of the 48v battery (which required engineering review) plus 7-10 days for the part to come in, most of the repairs were completed in one day once the part arrived. Waiting for parts was the biggest delay - most parts were at least a week out, if not backorder.

Fair enough.

Maxcare excludes high-voltage batteries and most cosmetic items. The rear slider is also a concern - the leak seems to reoccur and each replacement is about $2K. Maxcare excludes it.
Do you still intend on owning it long term.

Since ours was a VERY early build, we knew we'd probably have a few TSB's, which we did, for minor things. Only semi-major one has been the rear window. I was told that it's an updated part that won't crack like the original, guess we'll see how that plays out. We are at just under 80,000km now (50,000 miles) so roughly twice the mileage you have on yours.
My 2020 Rubicon is at 20k … no issues … if it’s had TSB’s they never notified be. They know how to reach me because they try to sell an extended warranty once a week … 😵‍💫
It has over 300 off-road miles in low speed 4WD …

Do you still intend on owning it long term.
Issue is that I only paid $33K + tax for it. I really don't need a truck, but I also cannot find anything with a similar amount of space (or utility) for the same price range.
My 2020 Rubicon is at 20k … no issues … if it’s had TSB’s they never notified be. They know how to reach me because they try to sell an extended warranty once a week … 😵‍💫
It has over 300 off-road miles in low speed 4WD …
TSB's are just published solutions to "known" issues. Owners are only notified of RRT's and recalls.

Back