2020 Hyundai Tucson 2nd Oil Change - should I change now or wait?

@haggler - If you still have those OE filters bought from Amazon seller, could you weigh one see how much it weighs? The OE filter I bought from dealer weighs 332 grams, filter with plastic wrap on opening.

Filter_3.jpg

Many on BITOG wonder why on earth they counterfeit filters selling for $5 or 6, but I've heard of FAKE RICE GRAINS(https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong...08/customs-seize-15000kg-counterfeit-rice-was) and FAKE EGGS(https://www.myrecipes.com/extracrispy/fake-chinese-eggs-are-a-big-problem-in-india) exist.

Hyundai/Kia sold millions and millions cars requiring the same 26300-35505 oil filters, the potential profit is there, obviously.

@haggler - If you still have those OE filters bought from Amazon seller, could you weigh one see how much it weighs? The OE filter I bought from dealer weighs 332 grams, filter with plastic wrap on opening.

View attachment 52055

Many on BITOG wonder why on earth they counterfeit filters selling for $5 or 6, but I've heard of FAKE RICE GRAINS(https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong...08/customs-seize-15000kg-counterfeit-rice-was) and FAKE EGGS(https://www.myrecipes.com/extracrispy/fake-chinese-eggs-are-a-big-problem-in-india) exist.

Hyundai/Kia sold millions and millions cars requiring the same 26300-35505 oil filters, the potential profit is there, obviously.

318 grams, 05 part number.

Thanks . . . that's 14g - 1/2oz lighter than mine same part number, are they all same at 318g?
i measured 2 and they were within a gram of 318g. I wouldn't worry if you got it from a dealer. If I knew what I know now I wouldn't have bought these and just used the Supertech ST9688. Perfect filter & cost for the 4-5k interval.

I've read many feedback ratings of the Amazon seller, Metro24wholesale, particularly the single star ratings. Most are from the slow shipping, but I figure it's not the seller's fault but for slow USPS. During last few months, my personal mail from mid-west area especially took much longer than usual.

But I also find a few complained about packages sent through the USPS, ie; paid for 4oz weight for 5pound package, resulting buyers had to pay for the short pay postage due. That is very troublesome. I know of at least one dishonest Ebay seller creates a shipping label with USPS then photocopy it for use with other package. My personal experience a while ago, an Ebay seller crated a FLAT RATE ENVELOPE shipping label for a large cargo cover, came to me as more than $20 Postage due. I guess the USPS isn't as sophisticated as USPS, many of these short paid packages must have gone through without being detected. USPS doesn't deserve much credit for on time delivery but outright cheating USPS isn't good sales practice.

I've read many feedback ratings of the Amazon seller, Metro24wholesale, particularly the single star ratings. Most are from the slow shipping, but I figure it's not the seller's fault but for slow USPS. During last few months, my personal mail from mid-west area especially took much longer than usual.

But I also find a few complained about packages sent through the USPS, ie; paid for 4oz weight for 5pound package, resulting buyers had to pay for the short pay postage due. That is very troublesome. I know of at least one dishonest Ebay seller creates a shipping label with USPS then photocopy it for use with other package. My personal experience a while ago, an Ebay seller crated a FLAT RATE ENVELOPE shipping label for a large cargo cover, came to me as more than $20 Postage due. I guess the USPS isn't as sophisticated as USPS, many of these short paid packages must have gone through without being detected. USPS doesn't deserve much credit for on time delivery but outright cheating USPS isn't good sales practice.
I recommend this seller. I spoke to him on the phone and via Amazon messaging feature. He sells different OEM parts for different makes and models. He told me he buys the filters in bulk from Hyundai. He put in the wrong size washers, the ones he included were for Toyota. I messaged him and he followed up by mailing me a 10 pack of OEM washers, with the OEM sticker. I thought that was good customer service.

To save on shipping he just ships them in a regular non bubble plastic type mailer. People complain the filters may get damaged this way but they were fine. Here was my original thread. Heres another person who bought from this seller.

Last edited:
For some it is, for many others it's cheap insurance. 5qts of oil & an oil filter cost under $20, I'll take this any day.

That's $20.00 that could have bought you lunch. Your motor will last a long time whether you flushed that money or not. That's the BITOG forum fallacy. The more often the better, trace metals in new cars some how tearing up the engine, it's silly.

That's $20.00 that could have bought you lunch. Your motor will last a long time whether you flushed that money or not. That's the BITOG forum fallacy. The more often the better, trace metals in new cars some how tearing up the engine, it's silly.
Before you go off all high and mighty.
Understanding that oil changes are about how you drive your vehicle and not just some number.
When the vehicle was new, we had a newborn and did a lot if warming the suv before we used it.
By 1000 it was a quart above and stank of gasoline. So I changed it. Then the same thing again at 3000kms. Changed it. All we do us short trip driving because of where we live. Everything is very close.
And no, I am not going out on a highway drive just to try and burn off the fuel in the oil. Newborn=exhausted parents. It was easier and quicker just to dump and fill.

To each is own. Oil is cheap. Hyundai has not had the most sparkling reputation with some engines. One of which is in our santa fe.
I wanted to be safe with fresh oil.

I call it the BITOG peace of mind.
My money, my mind, thanks for the constructive discussion though. I hope you didn't hurt yourself.
me: Hi my name is Ken and I'm a oilchangeaholic;

crowd: 'Hi Ken! "

BITOG peace of mind? No! You are doing the engine no favour whatsoever and damaging the environment
due to some unfounded paranoia. Find some other more constructive pastime.

tough love, that is what we are here for. - Ken

I have always used the Hyundai OEM filters on my Hyundai even cut a few open and they always look really well made. Silicone ADBV and the pleat spacing is always nice and even. No idea why some people don't like them but they appear well made to me.
I use them as well without issue. Just took delivery of a six pack from a parts house in AZ (eBay seller 'asianauto') -- shelf supply at my area WM locations for these has pretty much dried up. Factory sealed packaging w/a crush washer taped to the top of each box.

me: Hi my name is Ken and I'm a oilchangeaholic;

crowd: 'Hi Ken! "

BITOG peace of mind? No! You are doing the engine no favour whatsoever and damaging the environment
due to some unfounded paranoia. Find some other more constructive pastime.

tough love, that is what we are here for. - Ken
How am I damaging the environment if my oil is recycled?
All our oil is disposed of properly and recycled at a center.
Great post though.........
Nothing like judgememt from a basement troll.
Take care.

It definitely better to recycle vehicles every 3-5 years when the engine turns into an oil burning or clattering nightmare 🤣

Most forums have been flooded with trolls and blatant idiocracy. Seems to be the norm now. Pathetic sad world.

How am I damaging the environment if my oil is recycled?
All our oil is disposed of properly and recycled at a center.
Great post though.........
Nothing like judgememt from a basement troll.
Take care.
Ah, still in the denial phase.
It is expected for those with this disease to lash out when confronted.
There is therapy here when you are ready.

It definitely better to recycle vehicles every 3-5 years when the engine turns into an oil burning or clattering nightmare 🤣

Most forums have been flooded with trolls and blatant idiocracy. Seems to be the norm now. Pathetic sad world.
So GMT, you recommend this as "Normal" and "Good" Practice ?

"We bought a new 19 santa fe.
I did 3 oil changes before the 5k oil change."

That is what I was commenting on.
I've been there, done that to NO benefit whatsoever.

Even now I'm chomping at the bit to change the oil in my new Ford at 4 month and 1700 miles.

But I am "recovering" from this disease and unfounded paranoia and will try to hold off a bit more.

- Ken

Benefit is unknown

Machinery needs maintenance. So, if the plans are to will the vehicle to great grandchildren, then some initial maintenance is smart.

And, as always, not everyone has the same commute, or vehicle reputation, or driving pattern, or weather conditions.

My 2.2 never had sludge with a 5000 mile oil change interval. My neighbor's same vehicle 2.2 sludged with a 5000 mile oil change interval. My driving patterns and oils used were different. If I did a 3k interval it wouldn't make a difference. If the neighbor used synthetic, he might've given the kids the car on their 16th birthday. He didn't use synthetic because it caused 'leaks' and wouldn't let the engine 'break in'.

Its not paranoia to maintain machinery. Its foolish to think that what you do will work for everyone. And, if they don't do what you do, then they are antienvironment, wasteful, and paranoid.

I guess its paranoia to brush ones teeth or take a shower. Do you wait until you smell like shtt for 50 yeards or until your teeth are akin to methmouth? Or do you shower daily and brush your teeth a couple times daily?

I keep cars forever.... a few recycled from accidents or stolen. But, I still have perfectly running 20 and 30 year vehicles. A blind person took out the 40 year old vehicle when it was parked on the street. All were running on original engines/transmissions. Can't say the same for any neighbors, relatives, or coworkers. So, its not paranoia.

Now, blindly believing all you read here concerning intervals based only on TBN or filter usage, based on marketing, is akin to a cult too. I see those that want to run oil until TBN is negative, and run oil filters forever... definitely suffer from marketing mental disease.

If you keep a vehicle long enough, plan on maintaining it. If you lease, trade in too often, or destroy vehicles, is there a point to maintenance? Minimal is fine for a bubblegum ownership pattern.

So, to answer the question, because the SANTAFE has the infamous theta-II, I would say its good. Maybe he will be lucky and not have the engine seize on MLK blvd during a protest when trying to commute to work to the ghetto hospital ER. This is why my wife's brand new Theta-II Kia had its 1st oil change at 700 miles. And, why I picked a synthetic over conventional, HTHS over MPG, synth media over OE filters, and a severe service interval over blind faith bazzillion mile interval. The car will last 10 years, it will be gifted to family, and it will have at least catalytic converters cut out in the next decade, and we will find it up on blocks or sitting on rotors in the employee hospital parking lot at least once in the next decade. Even the battery will be changed in year 4 regardless to make sure it always start during the escape from careerville.

Gotta run and visit great grandpa. He is in his 90's and smoked a pack of cigarettes and drank a 5th of cheap whiskey daily. So, the antismoking crowd are paranoid and AA meetings are a waste of time. That is what I think about when someone says don't maintain your vehicle/body because someone else got away with it. There isn't an automaker without engine problems or a dealership not waiting for engines or parts for engines. The owners manual is not the Bible. And, be wise and ignore marketing.

Benefit is unknown

Machinery needs maintenance. So, if the plans are to will the vehicle to great grandchildren, then some initial maintenance is smart.

And, as always, not everyone has the same commute, or vehicle reputation, or driving pattern, or weather conditions.

My 2.2 never had sludge with a 5000 mile oil change interval. My neighbor's same vehicle 2.2 sludged with a 5000 mile oil change interval. My driving patterns and oils used were different. If I did a 3k interval it wouldn't make a difference. If the neighbor used synthetic, he might've given the kids the car on their 16th birthday. He didn't use synthetic because it caused 'leaks' and wouldn't let the engine 'break in'.

Its not paranoia to maintain machinery. Its foolish to think that what you do will work for everyone. And, if they don't do what you do, then they are antienvironment, wasteful, and paranoid.

I guess its paranoia to brush ones teeth or take a shower. Do you wait until you smell like shtt for 50 yeards or until your teeth are akin to methmouth? Or do you shower daily and brush your teeth a couple times daily?

I keep cars forever.... a few recycled from accidents or stolen. But, I still have perfectly running 20 and 30 year vehicles. A blind person took out the 40 year old vehicle when it was parked on the street. All were running on original engines/transmissions. Can't say the same for any neighbors, relatives, or coworkers. So, its not paranoia.

Now, blindly believing all you read here concerning intervals based only on TBN or filter usage, based on marketing, is akin to a cult too. I see those that want to run oil until TBN is negative, and run oil filters forever... definitely suffer from marketing mental disease.

If you keep a vehicle long enough, plan on maintaining it. If you lease, trade in too often, or destroy vehicles, is there a point to maintenance? Minimal is fine for a bubblegum ownership pattern.

So, to answer the question, because the SANTAFE has the infamous theta-II, I would say its good. Maybe he will be lucky and not have the engine seize on MLK blvd during a protest when trying to commute to work to the ghetto hospital ER. This is why my wife's brand new Theta-II Kia had its 1st oil change at 700 miles. And, why I picked a synthetic over conventional, HTHS over MPG, synth media over OE filters, and a severe service interval over blind faith bazzillion mile interval. The car will last 10 years, it will be gifted to family, and it will have at least catalytic converters cut out in the next decade, and we will find it up on blocks or sitting on rotors in the employee hospital parking lot at least once in the next decade. Even the battery will be changed in year 4 regardless to make sure it always start during the escape from careerville.

Gotta run and visit great grandpa. He is in his 90's and smoked a pack of cigarettes and drank a 5th of cheap whiskey daily. So, the antismoking crowd are paranoid and AA meetings are a waste of time. That is what I think about when someone says don't maintain your vehicle/body because someone else got away with it. There isn't an automaker without engine problems or a dealership not waiting for engines or parts for engines. The owners manual is not the Bible. And, be wise and ignore marketing.

Someone is back.

Back