Hyundai Kia Suspected Counterfeit 26300-35505?

I had to sell my miata and I bought a used 2018 kia optima. Obviously in BITOG fashion, I need to change the oil asap, probably has dino in it. I read about the issues with this car and filters, so I wanted to get an OEM one although supertech 9688 looked good. I order from Amazon a 6 pack from seller Metro24wholesale. I called him and asked if they were genuine, and he said ya. 6 filters were listed for 23.40. I should've known this was too good to be true.

First red flag was there is no hologram. Looking inside, it did have the "Hyundai" poppet where the bypass. The major red flag was that the Blue can had "MANN HUMMEL" printed on the filter despite this being an 05 part number. The part number ending in 04 was the MANN HUMMEL product. Also, looking inside the filter, there was glue everywhere around the pressure relief valve, just looked horrible. The filter did feel heavy like the OEM I held at walmart. I found this video of the same exact filter here: the title translated in Russia is "fake filter." On top of everything, the 6 washers they sent was the wrong size. This 6 pack is going back. Just a heads up, im gonna go to the dealer and just buy one for 6.50.

Attachments

• 20201211_140900.jpg
    20201211_140900.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 305
  • 20201211_141950.jpg
    20201211_141950.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 300
  • 20201211_141957.jpg
    20201211_141957.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 309
  • 20201211_142017.jpg
    20201211_142017.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 299
  • 20201211_142019.jpg
    20201211_142019.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 301
  • 20201211_142029.jpg
    20201211_142029.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 292
  • 20201211_142035.jpg
    20201211_142035.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 303
They look genuine to me... Not sure about the red ADB valve though, but rest is spot on. I'd say yours looks more genuine than the russian filter as the printing looks more faded

Maybe try contacting MANN+HUMMEL and see if they can verify if these are real or not.

I just called MANN+HUMMEL, which is apparently Wix customer service in the USA. She did say the 05 part was one they made... but I opened another one and the threads look horrible... this is going back regardless. The last thing I need is a piece of thread going back into the engine.

Attachments

• 20201211_154757.jpg
    20201211_154757.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 209
I just called MANN+HUMMEL, which is apparently Wix customer service in the USA. She did say the 05 part was one they made... but I opened another one and the threads look horrible... this is going back regardless. The last thing I need is a piece of thread going back into the engine.
I'd just clean it up well and see if any metal can be removed. A little missing thread tip material isn't going to hurt anything as long as any possible loose metal has been cleaned up well. Once you do that nothing is going to come loose from the threads. I always clean up every new oil filter I buy before using it - they all can stand some clean-up (regardless of brand) from what I've seen.

You went through all that and the OEM filter at the dealer was only $6.50?
All I did was click order and call MANN when they came per @ZeeOSix recommendation. The dealer wanted 6.50 plus 1.10 for a washer. These came with one. The owner of the business responded and said they come from directly from Kia, so maybe they are not fake but they definitely dont have the logo on the gasket or the hologram. They also seem like poor quality in general for OEM, with glue all over the inside of the filter and breaks on the threads. He seemed like a nice guy on the phone as well. But he also sent me the wrong washers, so I am sending them back. I'm gonna go buy a fram or supertech.

having just went to the hyundai dealer and bought a filter yesterday , looking at the pix its exactly the same. 05 mann hummel korea

All I did was click order and call MANN when they came per @ZeeOSix recommendation. The dealer wanted 6.50 plus 1.10 for a washer. These came with one. The owner of the business responded and said they come from directly from Kia, so maybe they are not fake but they definitely dont have the logo on the gasket or the hologram. They also seem like poor quality in general for OEM, with glue all over the inside of the filter and breaks on the threads. He seemed like a nice guy on the phone as well. But he also sent me the wrong washers, so I am sending them back. I'm gonna go buy a fram or supertech.
Just a heads up....oftentimes the OEM filters are not great...sometimes....but not always.
Buy the filter - not the brand - if your filter shopping.....

You need to find a new dealer. Every Hyundai and Kia dealer I have bought filters from gives you a washer for free, I have had to tell them to not give me one, but they still do since they are already taped to the box.

I plan on using the Supertech 9688 filters for all my Hyundai/Kia spin on needs from now on. They seem to be a very good filter, especially for the price.

I'm gonna go buy a fram or supertech.

I would skip Supertech, I am not confident that their filter media is strong enough to withstand the intense pressure spikes these engines can produce without tearing apart. Fram is definitely proven, even the Orange Can of Delight up to 7500 miles.

Just a heads up....oftentimes the OEM filters are not great...sometimes....but not always.
Buy the filter - not the brand - if your filter shopping.....

My problem with OEM filters is they are designed and produced at the lowest cost possible while meeting bare minimum performance specs set by the auto manufacturer. I will give Hyundai credit because they built their OEM filter like a brick 💩 house, others perhaps not so much.

You need to find a new dealer. Every Hyundai and Kia dealer I have bought filters from gives you a washer for free, I have had to tell them to not give me one, but they still do since they are already taped to the box.

Lucky you, I always get charged for the crush washer at my local Hyundai dealership 💸

I would be shocked if that were a counterfeit filter, given the OEM stamp on the bypass valve.

While I don't doubt that knockoff filters do exist, this is not such a lucrative market/product that somebody is going to create custom tooling to make the filter 100% exact. It's inside the filter for crying out loud; they know 99% of folks aren't looking inside there, the general population are not BITOGers. If there were such a counterfeiter, their goal is to take a cheap mass produced filter and make it look like an OEM filter as cheaply as possible.

That's my take on it, not everyone will agree. But I I'd bet dollars to donuts that's a geniune OEM filter you've got there.

I went back to walmart and took a look at the "04" trailing part number MANN filter. I don't think these from Amazon are fake after all, but the quality isnt what I'm used to for OEM. There glue all over the inside of the filter looks sloppy and 1 of the 6 had broken threads i posted in the previous picture. I like being able to inspect the filter prior to purchase, maybe I'm just OCD. About the only thing I really liked about the OEM filter was the heavy can and plastic wrapper on the bottom.

I picked up an ST9688 and it looks much better. I think the nitrile will be fine for 5k OCI. I was tempted to go Fram orange can but didnt look like like its worth nearly double. Supertech is ACdelco filters anyway, the work well on the equinox.

Back