201chevy silverado 1500 ltz (5.3 non flex)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I just bought a new Silverado with the 5.3 non flex fuel last week. The truck has 300 miles on it. I am looking to change all of the fluids to synthetic. I was thinking either all redline or lubramoly. Suggestions? My drive is 3 miles each way to work in stop and go. My days off I fish an hour away and drive balls to the walls to get there...suggestions would be great.

Also considering putting in a break in fluid for 500 or so miles. I have 4 free oil changes but I personally am not a fan of synth blend.

GM rented me one of those when my Duramax was in the shop for NOX sensors, a clutch fan on warranty and other bulletined up-grades.

I put 1,400 miles on the double cab in 5 days.

When I got the rental the OLM was at 0%, so these guys changed the oil before I left with 0W20 Dexos... www.can-bow.com

The oil was still full on the dipstick when I returned the truck and looked clear.

Fantastic fuel economy with the DI and cylinder dropping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isnt DexVI and 75w-90 already synthetic?

Have you studied or at least acknowledged there is an owner's manual?

I had a Saturn 5 speed manual (Dexron III) and the manual stated to change the transmission fluid at 6000 miles and never again. Id did change the fluid several times and really noticed no difference in shifting and such.........IMO it was a waste of oil and labor.

So I say to read the manual!

My only recommendation is to make sure whatever you use meets the warranty requirements for your truck unless you are not concerned about that potential issue. Which for the oil I am guessing will have to be at least API SN certified and possibly Dexos 1 certified. For auto trans probably has to be Dex VI certified. 'Meets the requirements' or 'Recpmmended for' may not be good enough if there becomes a warranty issue.

You have picked two fine products as potential choices but if they do not have the needed certs (I do not know if they do or do not) for warranty purposes I would wait until the warranty runs out to switch to those as I would think there are plenty of good choices that have the necessary certs.

Draivetrains are as sturdy as an anvil. And covered under warranty, yes?

You'll get to know your SA quite well chasing down marginal trim accoutrements and whatnot, though. Good luck.

Ok, you just seem like a [removed]. Everyone else can simply answer the question that I asked, which is the purpose of this site. You have to make not only one, but two post with snide comments. I say balls to the wall because I am the only person on the road at 4 am. Thus in term my driving habits change from my standard stop and go driving. With pickup trucks weighing more and having a large amount of drag that would increase the load on the motor, thus causing more stress on the motor. My last vehicle I owned went 210k.I plan on owning this vehcile for as I can.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
"Balls to the wall" to go fishing in a pickup truck?

Ok fella! Get a literbike and hit up the road circuit and you may learn something.

I agree with you on that. I try not to be too anal but I just got proof today of what you say in a big way- ( again). I have a new diesel tractor and I just did the 50 hr engine service myself last week. Have not tried out the tractor mowing yet. This AM I mowed a large field and since the tractor was new to me and what I got was what I expected.

So I simply replaced the filter with a Fram Ultra and used Delvac for the engine- it was only $12 for a gallon a month back or so. My thoughts are this now. The tractor is at least 50% quieter and tons smoother than whatever c-r-a-p they used in it.

It is so quiet I here the hydraulic chains rattle now, the three point hitch shift around and the axle noise and mechanical noise I never heard the first 50 hours. Its that big of a change. That also tells me I need to replace all the other oils in the complete tractor. I'm sure nothing but cheap junk was used in those as well.

Originally Posted By: OnDeadlyGrounds
I work in the auto industry. I trust zero fluids that are factory filled.

Originally Posted By: OnDeadlyGrounds
Ok, you just seem like a jag off. Everyone else can simply answer the question that I asked, which is the purpose of this site. You have to make not only one, but two post with snide comments.

+1, he had some rude remarks for me as well in another thread:

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Yeah dontcha know anything worth getting is available thru the internet only SatinSilver!?

Im not trying to put any down, but do you buy the sizzle or the steak?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3885672/Re:_Pre_winter_car_preparation#Post3885672

Was considering either 0w20 redline, amisoil, or royal purple. I belive only amisoil is dexos 1 though...any input would be fantastic.

OK, how does this sound?
Engine; 5W40 CJ-4/SM M1 long filter, that should put your capacity to 8 liters.

Transmission; Mobil Allison TES 295

Diff? Did you get the HD towing package that comes with the stronger locker diff?

Three inch body lift, 275/70/18 tires on 18X9 wheels.

Bigger tires will just add un-sprung weight and slow the suspension, rebound especially.

For true off-road I would have picked the 119" wheelbase model, snow-plow option LT, HD trailering and 4.3 V6 Z71 suspension.

Edit; And the little birdies say that the 4.3 V6 is going into the Canyon/Colorado and Cadillac is getting an ohc 32 valve twin turbo V8.

Sorry I got it all wrong, your just driving up the lake to be the 1st to hit the water. It must be nice this time of year without the tourists with their barking dogs and screaming kids.
Not to mention the weekend party animals that blare music across the lake until the sun comes up, then leave their campsites in a mess with beer cans and food that creates nuisance bears that eventually have to be shot or trapped and relocated.

Balls to the wall here means the loader operators have to get to the log sites an hour before the logging trucks do. Usually up there by 4am to warm up the machine and organize the log pile.

That run up the hill is sometimes 90 minutes with your foot on the floor up 16% grades and over washboard.

What engine oil do those guys use in their pick up trucks?
What ever is in that pail over there.

The guys playing in the tar sands are even harder on their trucks. Driving like they stole them to the leases, then sleeping in them with the engines running all winter.

Edit....And I'm disappointed in the rest of you, I didn't even get one "Stooge vote" despite my best efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back