2019 Toyota Highlander More Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Leo99
I think you need to stop doing your own repairs and maintenance. Let the dealer do it or document every time you need to do it. I'd also contact a lemon law attorney. This madness has to stop.

It's too late now but you know who would have made out the best in this scenario? Someone who never opened the hood and just took it back to the dealer for service.

I didnt do anything that voided a warranty. I did no damage so they cover it.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Why was the half shaft replaced?

Are those oils and filters you list for this car future wish list oils and filters?

Its had 4 sets of oil and filter counting the factory fill. If you search my posts I changed the oil at 1,600 miles because it was getting 16MPG. Found metal in the oil and it's been a roller coaster ever since. The dealership did 2 oil changes during the engine replacement. so it's on its 4th set in 3,900 miles. I used a M1 filter and PP to try and get better MPG initially. I already own RP filters and Edge EP for the next 4 changes.

Originally Posted by Propflux01
2020 results:
[Linked Image]

So you believe JD power over consumer reports. This is what the problem is. People believe everything that you have read. Back to op that is terrible as when I worked at dealership any problems you could bring it to any Toyota dealership and they took care of it and if fault of another Toyota dealership then Toyota charged the dealership who was responsible. Heck when I was at Chevrolet I put a new engine in an Izuzu pickup at 2 miles as defective from line with me signing my initials, date and time on engine as it was sent from the line with factory warranty. The Toyota RAV4 I did was cash as jiffy lube forgot oil but customer only got a one year labor warranty and if I remember correctly 36k miles warranty as it was a replacement warranty. Kind of bad business but Toyota always only guarantee original parts for the full warranty and if original parts are changed you only get the shorter warranty

Originally Posted by tiger862
2020 results:
[Linked Image]

So you believe JD power over consumer reports. This is what the problem is. People believe everything that you have read. Back to op that is terrible as when I worked at dealership any problems you could bring it to any Toyota dealership and they took care of it and if fault of another Toyota dealership then Toyota charged the dealership who was responsible. Heck when I was at Chevrolet I put a new engine in an Izuzu pickup at 2 miles as defective from line with me signing my initials, date and time on engine as it was sent from the line with factory warranty. The Toyota RAV4 I did was cash as jiffy lube forgot oil but customer only got a one year labor warranty and if I remember correctly 36k miles warranty as it was a replacement warranty. Kind of bad business but Toyota always only guarantee original parts for the full warranty and if original parts are changed you only get the shorter warranty

And I could say you believe consumer reports over JD power..... People believe everything that you have read... I have no dog in this fight, I simply put up the latest JD Power survey. I did not endorse it, nor did I write the articles or test the cars. I am sure you know, as well as I that I could probably find 20 different "reliability reports", and each one will be different from the other.

I would stop checking the coolant, and this problem will take care of itself.

And the brand reliability argument should just go away. Lemons happen with any brand, and the Highlander is not USUALLY such a problematic vehicle.

Though I was highly amused by the one BITOGer who has destroyed every vehicle he's owned quickly, complaining about Toyota quality.

Originally Posted by tiger862
2020 results:
[Linked Image]

And I could say you believe consumer reports over JD power..... People believe everything that you have read... I have no dog in this fight, I simply put up the latest JD Power survey. I did not endorse it, nor did I write the articles or test the cars. I am sure you know, as well as I that I could probably find 20 different "reliability reports", and each one will be different from the other.

And this is the reason I said what I said. I don't believe any of those reports. As long as I have been in the industry I have learned not to have a dog into buying a certain brand. Some like Dodge some like Toyota and if I recommended a Toyota to a Dodge guy then problem arises it becomes my fault.

You should be glad this is a leased vehicle. Toyota should warranty this anywhere as it is still under the regular warranty. I would contact Toyota of North America for assistance in this matter as it appears this has been handled poorly. As far as quality of the brand I think it speaks for itself no need to bring this into the conversation.

Originally Posted by Mathew_Boss

I finally got a hold of corporate..

You need to IMMEDIATELY SEND a snail mail return receipt requested to the CEO of Toyota Motor USA and describe the situation you are dealing with.
I don't believe that explanation that some CSR gave you on the phone for one second. Write a snail mail and send it CERTIFIED MAIL RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED.
Tell them you want a written explanation of the procedure for this situation and let them know that the situation is completely UNACCEPTABLE as it is.

This is OUTRAGEOUS.

Last edited:
UPDATE: The servicing dealer called. They have a regional tech working on it which is who they call when the dealer cant figure out the problem. It passes pressure tests but when they drive it it loses coolant. They have had it for 2 business days and that's all they have figured out so far.

Originally Posted by supton
Well that's progress! Hopefully they get it figured out soon.

Well I I already told them it wasn't an external leak but it was loosing coolant. And the dealer that refused service said it wasnt leaking externally. If it's not external and its passing pressure test what could it be

Originally Posted by supton
Well that's progress! Hopefully they get it figured out soon.

Well I I already told them it wasn't an external leak but it was loosing coolant. And the dealer that refused service said it wasnt leaking externally. If it's not external and its passing pressure test what could it be

Head lifting under operating pressure? Bit of a reach I know.

Originally Posted by HangFire
I would stop checking the coolant, and this problem will take care of itself.

And the brand reliability argument should just go away. Lemons happen with any brand, and the Highlander is not USUALLY such a problematic vehicle.

Though I was highly amused by the one BITOGer who has destroyed every vehicle he's owned quickly, complaining about Toyota quality.

Those 8 speed transmissions on 2017-18 HL are really, really dependable.

UPDATE: The servicing dealer called. They have a regional tech working on it which is who they call when the dealer cant figure out the problem. It passes pressure tests but when they drive it it loses coolant. They have had it for 2 business days and that's all they have figured out so far.

They need to replace engine or give you new car.
But, my best man was in dealership with his HL like 30+ times for transmission issues, and finally, he decided to get rid of that car. Dealership though offered to take car back as trade in!
I would expect that they will fight you tooth and nail not to take taht vehicle back. At this point I am with Astro14: let it blow if they do not do what is right.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Leo99
I think you need to stop doing your own repairs and maintenance. Let the dealer do it or document every time you need to do it. I'd also contact a lemon law attorney. This madness has to stop.

It's too late now but you know who would have made out the best in this scenario? Someone who never opened the hood and just took it back to the dealer for service.

I didnt do anything that voided a warranty. I did no damage so they cover it.

I'm not saying you did anything to void the warranty. Your mistake, in hindsight, was adding coolant to keep it from blowing up. If you had just kept the hood shut it would have blown up on its own and you'd have had to deal with a tow and inconvenience but you'd probably be in a new vehicle by now.

UPDATE: The 2019 Highlander has 2 heater cores. 1 for the fron seats and one for the back. The dealer never ran the heat in back to charge the 2nd heater core. So the coolant was going down to charge the line going to the back.

UPDATE: The 2019 Highlander has 2 heater cores. 1 for the fron seats and one for the back. The dealer never ran the heat in back to charge the 2nd heater core. So the coolant was going down to charge the line going to the back.

Wow, that's sad. IIRC, my Expedition held 32L of coolant for that same reason: rear heat. But I'd expect any dealer tech SHOULD be competent enough to ensure the entire system was filled and purged properly.

What a nightmare.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Wow, that's sad. IIRC, my Expedition held 32L of coolant for that same reason: rear heat. But I'd expect any dealer tech SHOULD be competent enough to ensure the entire system was filled and purged properly.

Many of them don't care and want the car out of their bay - it's the sucky part about flat-rate that encourages hackery.

So it has a heater control valve? That's unusual in a modern car...or is there a special procedure for bleeding the cooling system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back