2019 Toyota Highlander More Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you need to stop doing your own repairs and maintenance. Let the dealer do it or document every time you need to do it. I'd also contact a lemon law attorney. This madness has to stop.

It's too late now but you know who would have made out the best in this scenario? Someone who never opened the hood and just took it back to the dealer for service.

Originally Posted by MParr
If I were you, I would do everything possible to get out from under that lease. The car is a lemon and will never be right. You already own a FCA product and I assume it's treating you well. Get rid of the Toyota and get you a Dodge Durango or Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.6 Pentastar.

Let's not get crazy now. Dodge is at the very bottom of the heap for Durability. Above Land Rover and Fiat, but that's it. Jeep is very close to the bottom.

Originally Posted by wdn
If I were you, I would do everything possible to get out from under that lease. The car is a lemon and will never be right. You already own a FCA product and I assume it's treating you well. Get rid of the Toyota and get you a Dodge Durango or Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.6 Pentastar.

Let's not get crazy now. Dodge is at the very bottom of the heap for Durability. Above Land Rover and Fiat, but that's it. Jeep is very close to the bottom.

A Grand Cherokee is hardly a downgrade given the track record he's had at this point, and at least the ZF 8spd doesn't shift like a tweaker suffering withdrawal.

But it was about time somebody starting slagging an FCA product in a thread not about FCA products, that's exactly how these things always go, you folks need a mental health evaluation.

You can contact a lemon law attorney and they may indeed advise you to stop making payments but instead you pay into an escrow account while the matter is being litigated. A good lawyer can get a judge to rule it during the lawsuit. It varies by state. You are still paying per se, but not into the leasing company's pocket. In any case Toyota is required to pay for your lawyers if settled in your favor, so no reason not to contact a lawyer.

Originally Posted by benjy
like the old gray mare , toyotas are NOT what they used to be, although people still over pay for their former glory!!!

That may be true but what are the alternatives? I still think they're a safer bet than most other manufacturers.

This thread is getting interest because a Toyota engine cratering halfway to its first oil change make this a Man Bites Dog story.

Originally Posted by Leo99
I think you need to stop doing your own repairs and maintenance. Let the dealer do it or document every time you need to do it. I'd also contact a lemon law attorney. This madness has to stop.

It's too late now but you know who would have made out the best in this scenario? Someone who never opened the hood and just took it back to the dealer for service.

I don't think it has 5k miles on it

Let it run completely out of coolant and blow the engine so badly that it dents the hood with shrapnel. Then let Toyota have it back. I belong to other automotive oriented boards and I have noticed an uptick in Toyota complaints recently. It will be interesting if it is a trend or not.

Last edited:
Why was the half shaft replaced?

Are those oils and filters you list for this car future wish list oils and filters?

Originally Posted by Mathew_Boss

I took it to the dealer we bought it from for service Monday and was refused service because another dealer replaced the engine. They felt the other dealer was liable for the repair.

Under warranty, service at any dealer. But miffed the manager off and you get nothing.

Toyotas haven been "legendary" for decades. Our RAv 4 only lasted 50k miles 4 years. with multiple big issues.

Legendary Toyota Quality. = Late 70's > late 80's /

A little starter fluid under the dash, side of the road roman candle time.

Originally Posted by wdn

Number 8 from the top ahead of Honda.
How automotive brands ranked for reliability:
Lexus
Mazda
Toyota
Porsche
Genesis
Hyundai
Subaru
Dodge
Kia
Mini
Nissan
Honda
Infiniti
Audi
Lincoln
Ford
BMW
Buick
Chrysler
Mitsubishi
Mercedes-Benz
GMC
Tesla
Volvo
Chevrolet
Jeep
Volkswagen
Acura
Alfa Romeo
Cadillac

I only read the first post, but that is total and complete Bravo Sierra, for a dealership to refuse to address a gripe on a vehicle that's recently had the engine replaced simply because they weren't the dealership that replaced the engine.

What if you were on a road trip with it? What are you supposed to do? Have it towed 500 miles back to the dealership that replaced the engine?

File a complaint with Toyota Corporate immediately.

Time to involve an attorney if escalation with Toyota is not possible. Yes, lawyers are expensive and many of them are the scum of the earth but a good lawyer and a well-presented case might be on your side.

Originally Posted by dishdude
The brand bashing sure is getting old.

A thread about a lemon Toyota is turning into an FCA makes junk thread. I agree, it's getting old. They all make lemons and they all make reliable vehicles, sometime it's just luck of the draw, such as the OP's Highlander.

2020 results:
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by thooks
Originally Posted by Leo99

I don't think it has 5k miles on it

Nope 3,900

Originally Posted by john_pifer
I only read the first post, but that is total and complete Bravo Sierra, for a dealership to refuse to address a gripe on a vehicle that's recently had the engine replaced simply because they weren't the dealership that replaced the engine.

What if you were on a road trip with it? What are you supposed to do? Have it towed 500 miles back to the dealership that replaced the engine?

File a complaint with Toyota Corporate immediately.

I finally got a hold of corporate. They said once a part is replaced or repair is made it get a 1 year unlimited mile warranty and it gets assigned to the dealer that made the repair for that 1 year period. if you go to another dealer during that year, that dealer wont be reimbursed by Toyota for parts and Labor because its locked into the dealer that made the repair. If it happens to break out of state, you can call Toyota Corporate and ask them to transfer the case to what ever the closest dealer is.

I told them that is the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. I said if I was at the end of the warranty I would understand that but since I still have the full bumper to bumper they should fix it and handle the Toyota politics on the back end. That shouldnt involve the customer if it's a Toyota, fixed by a toyota dealer, under Toyota warranty and brought to another Toyota dealership for subsequent repairs.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Why was the half shaft replaced?

Are those oils and filters you list for this car future wish list oils and filters?

Idk why the half shaft was replaced. I'm guessing the damaged it during one of the repairs. They replaced the small block and put it back together. Discovered an oil leak, took it back apart and ordered the gasket. Put it back together and had another oil leak and ordered another gasket. took it apart and installed that gasket. So I'm guessing in all that they some how damaged it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back