2019 Toyota Highlander LOTS of metal flakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drained the FF on our 2019 Highlander v6 at 5600 miles. Noticed very little debris but there was some. I refilled with Rotella Gas Truck and it seems quieter than FF.

That looks closer to the FF on my 2012 Camry. 120k miles later and no issues.

I would think if there is something wrong in the motor letting that much metal shred it will grenade before the warranty is up.

Highway fuel economy on the Highlander is not the best unless you drive slow.

Not a fan of the 2grfks and 8 speed combo. Like the 2grfe and 5 speed combo much better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Toyt1219
Drained the FF on our 2019 Highlander v6 at 5600 miles. Noticed very little debris but there was some. I refilled with Rotella Gas Truck and it seems quieter than FF.

That looks closer to the FF on my 2012 Camry. 120k miles later and no issues.

I would think if there is something wrong in the motor letting that much metal shred it will grenade before the warranty is up.

Highway fuel economy on the Highlander is not the best unless you drive slow.

Not a fan of the 2grfks and 8 speed combo. Like the 2grfe and 5 speed combo much better.

Yeah the PP seems quiter than the FF as well.

I ended up getting NAPA Platinum filters for $4.74 a piece from NAPA. Wire backed Synthetic Media made by wix should provide goo metal flake protection.

Toyota made me an appointment Wednesday morning after I sent the photos to Toyota Corporate. What do you think they will do to diagnose?

Another reason why I dump the FF early, and will continue to do so. I've dumped the FF early on all the new vehicles I've owned over the years and never saw anything like that. I would be concerned, take pictures and let them know. Having said that if there is no issues, CEL, or poor running you will be told a story which goes something like: "it is normal" and sent packing. It could be from a poor cleaning prior to engine assembly, good thing you got it out.

I'd make sure I had a Toyota Oil filter installed when the dealer looks at it.

I'm agreeing with the guys saying to minimize any backlash from Toyota. I'd use OEM Toyota Oil and Oil Filters.

Especially since you seem to have a problem. Give them NO excuse.

I would want to take away any excuse they may come up with.

I'd have the dealer do the oil changes under their schedule. You can always do the ones in between.

Lots of metal in there. I would document it with Toyota so at least they are aware of the concern. I would also do a 5000 mile interval and send the report off for a UOA. As far as the MPG they will get better with age. Toyota has a long break in period for the whole powertrain.

The Dealership called me. Were getting a replacement short block and he said there might be more once they tear more into it. 3.5l 2GR-FKS KIA @2,700 miles.

Originally Posted by Mathew_Boss
The Dealership called me. Were getting a replacement short block and he said there might be more once they tear more into it. 3.5l 2GR-FKS KIA @2,700 miles.

I'd call Toyota and ask them to buy back this car and give you a new replacement minus the mileage.
Call corporate and open a ticket..NOW!

Originally Posted by Propflux01
Why? They are taking care of the problem. It's not a lemon as of yet.

++

It's a lemon if you had to go to the dealer many times and the problem isn't fixed to the satisfaction of both parties.

Toyota is honoring the warranty and while I think a long block is a better idea, they are taking care of you.

Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by Propflux01
Why? They are taking care of the problem. It's not a lemon as of yet.

++

It's a lemon if you had to go to the dealer many times and the problem isn't fixed to the satisfaction of both parties.

Toyota is honoring the warranty and while I think a long block is a better idea, they are taking care of you.

I contacted Toyota and said I would be more comfortable with a long block or an extended warranty.

Sounds like looking a gift horse in the mouth. I'm surprised they're doing anything with it honestly.

They agreed to extend the Warranty on the Highlander. They are still tearing apart the engine to see what all is damaged. I have had a Ford and Chrysler that were in the shop a lot but this has not been stressful. we have an excellent service advisor and have had great communication with Toyota. I didn't not remove the Mobil 1 Filter or do anything before bringing it in other than the original oil change. I provided receipts even though the mannual states you dont need them. They didn't ask but I gave them to them right off the bat. I followed the break in recommendation in the manual, used top tier gas, and tried to help it with an oil change when the MPG started struggling. there is nothing else I could have done in my opinion that would have made this have a different outcome.

2020 Rav4 Review: We have logged about 500 miles in the RAV4 since it was loaned to us. It's a base model so no auto climate control. It has Adaptive Cruise and Auto high beams but it wont turn the headlights off automatically when you shut it off. We got 33MPG running 75MPH but there was a lot of wind during the trip. AWD seems to be the same system our Highlander employs. Snow button keeps it planted in the snow. The back seat is too close to the front seats. Our son is constantly kicking the seat from his car seat. 0W-16 oil and the engine sounds a lot like a TDI from the cabin. Come with Firestone Destination LE tires that are high on road noise. Any questions on the RAV4 I'll try to answer.

Tha is for the help, guidance, and opinions.

Originally Posted by Mathew_Boss
They agreed to extend the Warranty on the Highlander. They are still tearing apart the engine to see what all is damaged. I have had a Ford and Chrysler that were in the shop a lot but this has not been stressful. we have an excellent service advisor and have had great communication with Toyota. I didn't not remove the Mobil 1 Filter or do anything before bringing it in other than the original oil change. I provided receipts even though the mannual states you dont need them. They didn't ask but I gave them to them right off the bat. I followed the break in recommendation in the manual, used top tier gas, and tried to help it with an oil change when the MPG started struggling. there is nothing else I could have done in my opinion that would have made this have a different outcome.

2020 Rav4 Review: We have logged about 500 miles in the RAV4 since it was loaned to us. It's a base model so no auto climate control. It has Adaptive Cruise and Auto high beams but it wont turn the headlights off automatically when you shut it off. We got 33MPG running 75MPH but there was a lot of wind during the trip. AWD seems to be the same system our Highlander employs. Snow button keeps it planted in the snow. The back seat is too close to the front seats. Our son is constantly kicking the seat from his car seat. 0W-16 oil and the engine sounds a lot like a TDI from the cabin. Come with Firestone Destination LE tires that are high on road noise. Any questions on the RAV4 I'll try to answer.

Tha is for the help, guidance, and opinions.

Nice review on the RAV4. I don't care much for the small SUV/Crossover class of vehicles (don't handle too well, and cookie-cutter looks). But I do think the RAV4 is one of, if not the best-looking of that class of vehicle.

If you really got 33 MPG at 75 MPH, especially in windy conditions, that's impressive. Especially considering it's AWD. My fiancée has a 2018 Civic HB 1.5T 6MT and it's only getting a few MPG better than that when we drive up to see her parents in Indiana. We usually set the cruise at about 79 MPH.

Glad to hear your Highlander problems are getting worked out satisfactorily. I think Toyota dealer service is some of the best in the business.

They should give you a Lifetime Powertrain Warranty for the troubles. My 2008 Tundra and the 2014 Tacoma both have the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty that was comped by the dealer. It has a 999,999 warranty on the certificate. I only used it once for a weeping water pump that I later found out didn't need to be replaced.

Originally Posted by Amkeer
They should give you a Lifetime Powertrain Warranty for the troubles. My 2008 Tundra and the 2014 Tacoma both have the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty that was comped by the dealer. It has a 999,999 warranty on the certificate. I only used it once for a weeping water pump that I later found out didn't need to be replaced.

How'd ya manage to get that on both of those trucks?

It was with the paperwork. I didn't realize I had it on the 2008 until after I got home. Both vehicles had it as complimentary Lifetime Powertrain Warranty. If its free its for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back