2019 Ram 1500 crew cab rust on inside cab corners

Since you bought a used vehicle, I’m kind of surprised you didn’t get under it before to look for stuff like this. A rental probably got washed with heavy detergent, and lots of winter salt usage if it was in the right area.

it looks like just surface rust in a spot that had some paint qc limitations...

The key to a repair like this is prep. How are you going to convert the rust? Ospho? Evaporust?
I see you want to use rust bullet, but IMO you should do some conversion first.

Reactions: JTK
Since you bought a used vehicle, I’m kind of surprised you didn’t get under it before to look for stuff like this. A rental probably got washed with heavy detergent, and lots of winter salt usage if it was in the right area.

The key to a repair like this is prep. How are you going to convert the rust? Ospho? Evaporust?
It's pretty new, I don't think I would have crawled under to look at it.

I couldn't even look under my Genesis. It's too low and there's big belly pans under it so nothing to see.

I hear you. It's all mentioned above though.

I inspected the truck top down and crawled underneath. These inside cab corners are in a bit of an obscure area if you don't have the luxury of a lift and like Nick1994 mentioned, this type of blasted and pitted metal really wasn't on my radar given everything else is so new under there.

Like I said, right after finding this, I scrubbed the areas (which were already pretty clean and totally flake free) with rubbing alcohol and then coated them with the rust bullet I had on hand. Per the Rust bullet link above this product preps, converts and top coats the rust all in one. Did this all before posting this thread.

If it doesn't work, I'll go the Trav route.

I'm honestly surprised no other 4th gen (2009+)Ram 1500 crew cab owner has had a look at theirs and chimed in at this point. Like I say, these inside cab corners are a serious design flaw on these trucks the way they will basically scoop up road spray from the front. Regular cabs and quad cabs have a slightly different inside corner design that won't be effected like this. Same with the new 5th gens.

I started a thread just like this one over in a busy Ram forum I frequent and it basically just got lost in the shuffle.

What's your paint warranty? I've seen many makes give 12 months which you're coming up on.

Rust warranties are rust-through warranties and last several years, but they won't do anything until it rusts through. Like having a lousy tire that won't ever get to 2/32 so you can replace it.

Maybe I misunderstood the picture, but it looks like its an area that wouldn't have much of anything hitting it. It's in front of the rear tires, facing forward. If it was getting blasted with rocks, many other areas would be also. I've seen some of these Rams randomly rust severely which makes me think there is some metallurgy issues on certain ones.

Rust Bullet is good stuff. I have some Hirsch Miracle paint in my hair as we speak from doing areas on my Yukon.

I hear you. It's all mentioned above though.

I inspected the truck top down and crawled underneath. These inside cab corners are in a bit of an obscure area if you don't have the luxury of a lift and like Nick1994 mentioned, this type of blasted and pitted metal really wasn't on my radar given everything else is so new under there.

Like I said, right after finding this, I scrubbed the areas (which were already pretty clean and totally flake free) with rubbing alcohol and then coated them with the rust bullet I had on hand. Per the Rust bullet link above this product preps, converts and top coats the rust all in one. Did this all before posting this thread.

If it doesn't work, I'll go the Trav route.

I'm honestly surprised no other 4th gen (2009+)Ram 1500 crew cab owner has had a look at theirs and chimed in at this point. Like I say, these inside cab corners are a serious design flaw on these trucks the way they will basically scoop up road spray from the front. Regular cabs and quad cabs have a slightly different inside corner design that won't be effected like this. Same with the new 5th gens.

I started a thread just like this one over in a busy Ram forum I frequent and it basically just got lost in the shuffle.

I'll have a look at my 2017 today and get back to you. . . .with pics.

This is a 2011 from work today, has something like 260,000Km on it:
6FB757DB-4E11-4544-863C-69B8D65ADA18_1_105_c.jpeg

Thank you!

Do you figure that truck has been Krowned?

Yes, it gets sprayed every year at Rust Check currently, but it was Krown for a year or two prior to that. That was implemented at my request for the whole fleet including our 5-ton trucks based on my experience with the effectiveness of these products.

Here are some pics I took today behind the left, front tire, at the left, front cab corner. The truck has never been undercoated with anything and has Husky mudflaps all around. The truck has seen three PA winters with salt and calcium on our local roads. Sorry about the photo quality. . . it was hot and I was in a hurry to get in the truck!

Attachments

• IMG_20200721_081019.jpg
    IMG_20200721_081019.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20200721_081022.jpg
    IMG_20200721_081022.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20200721_081031.jpg
    IMG_20200721_081031.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 79
Thanks Robster. Maybe it's just the angle of your pics, but those don't look like the same design as mine.

To sum this thread up, I am betting that the truck was driven often on gravel roads like shown below. The cab design results in debris thrown up from the front wheels, sand blasting paint and e coat off. IMO, paint warranties won't cover this just like they would not cover a stone chip to your hood. If he checks and maintains the area several times a year, he should be fine. Paint, oil, grease, or whatever coating he chooses should suffice as long as he keeps up with it. In The Critic's picture, you can see they coated the similar area for abrasion. JTK may not have the abrasion issues encountered in the past. A plastic debris diverter could be diy'ed to prevent further abrasion if needed. Thanks goes to JTK to alert others to keep an eye on this.

IMG_0639.JPG

There is a slight possibility that the mfg. might have covered dealer repair the same way member Gregk24 had rust issues fixed on his his Honda door interior. Maybe they have a TSB on this and a procedure. JTK can do as good, or better IMO.

Last edited:
Thanks doitmyself.

I think you're right on all accounts. Before I fluid-filmed the truck, I pulled the spare tire which was full of fine gravel. Same with frame and body nooks and crannies that I flushed out with a hose. Nothing crazy, but surely a lot for a vehicle that was only on the road for 10 months tops.

I've done two coats of rust bullet on those areas. The instructions state to do 3. The stuff is like iron. Like Trav's advice, it would require media blasting to remove.

Regardless, I'm totally loving my truck. Loved my 2017 and love the 2019.

So far I added a Tyger roll up tonneau cover that's awesome and I threw a 48"x72" rubber bed mat from HomeDepot over the floor of the drop in liner so stuff doesn't slide all over.

Also bolted up a $40 mail order trailer hitch receiver even though I've got nothing to tow.

Next is a bug deflector and I'm done for awhile. LOL

I will add that the truck that I posted pictures from, it sees a gravel road pretty much every weekend during the summer as the guy goes to his cottage.

What is this, a 1977 Volare???

I’d have taken it back to Chryco and demand they fix it, isn’t that what you have a corrassion warranty for???

I went to look at a Frontier that was a former rental truck. Title issued to Ok to start with, but it lived it's (short 1 year) life in Md. It was EXTREMELY rusty for its age --- I'd put the rust on the frame in line with my F350 which has spent 20 years in NY. The closer I looked at it, the more it was obvious that it went for a swim in the ocean and was hastily recovered.

- Frame was filled with ocean beach sand
- Transmission and engine were powder white with corrosion
- Front tow hook was bent
- Skid plate and engine oil pan had massive dents and gouges --- the engine oil pan and started to rust through and leak.

Wonder if this one has a similar story?

I find it hard to believe that a rental vehicle would see many gravel roads to blast that paint off.

I work for enterprise rent a car. Here are some pics of an obs ram currently in our fleet in NY.
IMG_20200727_142700.jpg
IMG_20200727_142809.jpg
IMG_20200727_142720.jpg
IMG_20200727_144616.jpg

Joegreen, thanks for posting that and right from the source!

If I'm seeing your pics correctly, that Ram is starting to show some rust bits in the same spots?

It would be something if it's a 'feature' of being a rental build in the first place. I've checked out a bunch of crew and quad cabs that didn't start life as rentals and they all look OK. It's ONLY the crew cab, short bed Ram 1500 classic configurations that have the sheet metal as you pic'd. 2500's are slightly different as are long bed crew cabs or any quad cab.

Anyway, as I've said above, I've got the situation rectified on mine for now. We shall see.

Back