2019 Ford 2.3T Ecoboost 9k OCI MC-5w30 Full Synthetic

2019 Ranger with the Ford Performance engine tune and K&N air filter that goes with it. OLM was at 8%. I had fuel dilution over the winter months OCI but none over this spring and summer OCI. Regular commute driving and a few road trips.

Looks like the new 2.3 is shearing the oil. Not sure I care though since it started at a thicker 5w30 compared to the modern trend of 5w20, 0w20, etc.?

Untitled.jpg

fusseli From everything that I've read over the yrs these Ecoboost engines are well known to shear Oil out of grade like your engine did. I recall guys who ran Magnatec had less shearing. The way I see it is to either run a shorter OCI. Maybe 7500 miles, or switch to a different Full synthetic. I use Oil Analyzers to test my Oil, and they condemn the Oil when the tbn is At a 1.4 tbn your Oil is Spent and sheared out of grade
Good luck with your Oil selection, I'm curious to know because I ordered my new Bronco with the 2.7L Ecoboost and will need to Dial in the proper Oil.
Thanks for your Post!

This is the typical “it will be just fine, run it to 0% oil life” scenario.

At least that’s how Ford looks at it.

Can you figure out a better maintenance plan for EVEN BETTER engine protection for long term engine health vs the factory recommendation? Of course!!! Should you? That’s the million dollar question of the day. 🤔

Blackstone seems to push people to run a longer OCI.

Not sure why Blackstone seems to be the most used oil analysis that is shared on here. They don't offer gas chromotography for testing fuel dilution & use an extrapolation method.

I have sent samples to Blackstone and AGAT.

AGAT flagged the sample at 3% Fuel dilution, And Blackstone said no problem, even though viscosity was out of spec.

AGAT also flagged Boron, when levels were less than 50% of virgin sample I think.

The wear metals are fine; Fe is around 2ppm/1k mile for the last two UOAs. That aint bad, guys; not by a long shot.
The contamination is low.
The TBN is low, but without knowing the TAN, it's moot conversation. Unless there's acid working on the metal surfaces, the TBN conversation is way overblown. There's no evidence to show that acids are doing evil here, so don't read stuff into the UOA that does not exist.

These past two UOAs show that 10k mile OCIs (presumably around 0% on the IOLM) are certainly doable.
Don't be fear-mongers; it's not like the engine will belch and explode if you run the IOLM out to zero.
Did it ever occur to you that there's some safety margin in that "zero" IOLM value? The UOAs clearly show things are OK.

Blackstone seems to push people to run a longer OCI.
There's a check box on their slip that asks "Are you interested in extended oil use?" If you say YES, they will recommend a mileage that they feel will get you to right about 1.0 TBN. If you say NO to that question, they will not recommend a longer OCI. So they aren't "pushing" people, they are following through with what the customer requests. Big difference.

That said, I don't always agree with their recommendations. For example, our '18 CR-V went 4885 miles. The OLM had ~22% and the TBN was at 2.2. Based on those numbers, I wouldn't recommend more than 6000 miles while they recommended 7000 to me.

There are times where I do agree with their recommendation. I once had an '03 Accord 2.4l and took it 4200 miles on conventional 5W20. The TBN was 2.4 and they recommended 5300 miles.

My '03 Civic I took 5000 miles on conventional, it had a TBN of 3.3. They recommended 5700 miles. I took it 6000 miles on the next run and the TBN ended up at 1.9.

There's a different analyst behind each oil analysis and each one will have a slightly different perspective based on their knowledge and experience. I'm guessing newer analysts might give less accurate recommendations, but they probably will consult with a more experienced analyst when they're not sure. That's what I'd do if I was a newbie analyst. Regardless, in the end, it's a recommendation based on the customer saying they are interested in extended oil use.

I personally would rather keep oil in grade if possible. That might be achieved through a shorter interval or with an oil with a higher starting viscosity. Of course, that said, these are pretty good results.

I personally would rather keep oil in grade if possible. That might be achieved through a shorter interval or with an oil with a higher starting viscosity. Of course, that said, these are pretty good results.
Well I bought a case of this 5w30 MC full synthetic so the next change will be the same. I’ll consider a 5w40 or 0w40 after that.

Back