2019 Ranger 2.3T Ecoboost - MC Full Synth 5w30 - 10,414 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motorcraft full synthetic 5w30 for the last two changes. Synthetic blend was used before that. I’m moving on now to Castrol Edge. Always use the MC FL920S filter.

Motor has the Ford Performance engine tune and K&N air filter.

Last edited:
73A35F50-98C1-49F6-A422-A22A20249AFB.jpeg

On all you runs the oil is shearing right down into the 20-weight range.
Wear metals aren’t excessive, but could they be better with a thicker oil or shorter interval, I’d bet the answer is yes.
I’d never go 10k on a turbo 4-cylinder in a truck, but it’s your truck and it will probably last just fine

You guys are crazy! There’s nothing short of a good pattern of results here. Nothing to worry about.

You guys are crazy! There’s nothing short of a good pattern of results here. Nothing to worry about.
Not necessarily. One only has to look at the 3.5's and their timing system. Those usually give it up just over 100k, I'm looking for my timing gear to run longer. It is commonly said that timing chain wear doesn't show up in a UOA, and these things generate soot, which is too fine for the filters to catch and leads to timing chain wear/stretch.

No thanks. I'll stick with 5k.

Not necessarily. One only has to look at the 3.5's and their timing system. Those usually give it up just over 100k, I'm looking for my timing gear to run longer. It is commonly said that timing chain wear doesn't show up in a UOA, and these things generate soot, which is too fine for the filters to catch and leads to timing chain wear/stretch.

No thanks. I'll stick with 5k.
There’s nothing in a healthy oil report that implicates timing chain wear… meaning the chain is gonna wear regardless of your oil performance. Changing early is still a waste and your timing parts will still wear out. Lol

One question though: does Ford warranty your engine when using a 20wt oil? Because that’s what you’re using in reality. Just trying to help.
Yes they warranty 5w30 like this, sheared down at 10k miles when it’s ready to be changed per the manual. This is factory maintenance per the manual evidencing that it’s fine.

Remember, UOA results do not indicate "wear rates" despite the local culture that believes...

Wear is measured physically after disassembly. For example, Fe in a UOA is often produced by a high stress component, and has little relationship to cylinder wear or camshaft wear. As mentioned above, a worn timing/balancer/oil pump chain may never show up in a UOA. The same goes for Aluminum, we can assume it's the piston skirts, but most modern skirts are fully coated. We can then assume it's the cam bearings in the head, but that's probably not the case either. It could be from the oil pump gerotor gears running in it's aluminum housing.

There’s nothing in a healthy oil report that implicates timing chain wear… meaning the chain is gonna wear regardless of your oil performance. Changing early is still a waste and your timing parts will still wear out. Lol
That iron’s coming from somewhere, and when Blackstone bolds the numbers that means it is a significant increase from universal averages.

I drive a lot more than most. I learned early on that adequate viscosity and frequent changes are the secret to long engine life. Today, we must consider fuel dilution on an individual basis. Some will have it, and others will not. If you see fuel dilution, it's up to you to take appropriate action. Or, don't be surprised when you have expensive repair bills for cam phasers and chains.

I drive a lot more than most. I learned early on that adequate viscosity and frequent changes are the secret to long engine life. Today, we must consider fuel dilution on an individual basis. Some will have it, and others will not. If you see fuel dilution, it's up to you to take appropriate action. Or, don't be surprised when you have expensive repair bills for cam phasers and chains.
I was wondering the same thing; considering this engine hasn’t had a single UOA with what ended up being a 30wt oil, how long past 60,001 miles this thing will make it. Add that to the fact that at 45k he’s still running essentially double the iron numbers as the universal averages, yet is defiantly confident there’s not a care (or improvement) in the world to be had. 🍿

I was wondering the same thing; considering this engine hasn’t had a single UOA with what ended up being a 30wt oil, how long past 60,001 miles this thing will make it. Add that to the fact that at 45k he’s still running essentially double the iron numbers as the universal averages, yet is defiantly confident there’s not a care (or improvement) in the world to be had. 🍿
Universal averages are also at half as long as a 10k OCI. What’s your point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back