UOA: 2019 Ford Ranger 2.3T Ecoboost

This is with the Ford Performance engine tune and the K&N air filter that goes with it. TBN is still good at 9k and OLM at 8%, 10k would be fine which is where the OLM would have been about at 0%. This is "normal" commuting and a few road trips. Motorcraft full synthetic 5w30 in and out, MC FL-810S in and out.
Untitled.jpg

fusseli Interested in the tune. This is Ford approved and warrantied? Does this now require premium fuel?
thx - Ken
p.s.: good report but I wouldn't push to 10K in fact with that shearing maybe go to 20% OLM or 7500mi.

I worry about chains with DI and don't think there is enough data to make a legitimate determination.

I have UOAs posted here regarding 17 3.6 Subaru. I did 10k and numbers were excellent. Blackstone said 12k.

I ended up settling on 8k my comfort level. Decision was based on long OCI and chain wear.

Not sure if similar, the OLM in my 15 F150 5.0 is heavily predetermined time (12 months) and 10k downward in mileage.

Yeah the Ford tune requires 91 octane and a 36 month engine warranty applies from the date of install.

Shearing based on the lowering of viscosity? Is this a don't care because it started as a 5w30 and is closer to a 5w20 at this wear level... my 2002 4.6L Ford took 5w20 and that stuff came out like water at 5k. Never got it analyzed though.

I thought the main concern with DI engines was soot loading, hence a short (5000 mile is what I've chosen) OCI.
Soot looks fine based on the low insolubles in my UOA. I actually had higher insolubles in my 2014 N/A Pentastar with 7k OCI.

Don't believe this insoluble value means anything in regards to soot being present in the oil. A ISO oil cleanliness testing may be helpful in measuring how clean or dirrty the oul is. However even that test will not be able to measure soot in the oil. Soot is that tiny in size.

Huh? Blackstone says soot is represented in the insolubles.

You want to know how clean or "dirty" the oil is ?

It like when people think a insoluble test say that's how good a job their oil filter is doing. It is not test for that.

A ISO cleanliness test actually will do that. It's coded in a 2 and 3 code format. Sizes at 4 microns, 6 microns and 14 microns.

Soot is often even smaller than 4 microns.

I briefly tried to find out what oil was used in Fuselli’s previous UOA(s), to no avail. All sheared down to less than what I would be comfortable with. 2nd UOA had horrible fuel dilution (especially if you assume Blackstone underestimates actual FD…a reasonable assumption.), and all 3 had really low kv100. Get an Amsoil / Polaris UOA next time to get a real gas chroma fuel test, or do both BS and Amsoil to compare. EB motors are notorious for FD. One possibility here is that your tune, and subsequent use of premium was AFTER the 2nd UOA. Caveat: Since I don’t know what Ford specs for oil on this engine (though it should be 5w30…unsheared), maybe I should shut up, in case they spec 20w For kv100.

one silly thought would be to buy a case of Kendall GT Euro+. Starts out at 12+ kv100, and I‘ll bet shears less. Mix the Kendall and MC for next few oCI’s (Kendall and MC are kissing cousins, though euro spec and US spec are less-related). Use up the MC sooner rather than later, to where you maybe have mostly or all Kendall eventually. Then continue on with 100% Euro oil…maybe even Mobil 1 or Castrol 0w40 Euro. Or use up the MC as fast as possible, with shorter intervals (like 5k miles) then switch to Edge 5w30 and see if it can stay in grade.

I don’t think you are doing your motor any favors with oil that sheared.

Back