2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
An endeavor in confliction. Designed from the ground up to be superior in it's class for off-roading and utility with decent road manners so sure why not work to produce a package that adapts the vehicle to a polar opposite mission-- on a race track. Engineering time and effort would be better spent refining some of their other vehicles that are struggling to compete in their class, instead of developing a mongrel package for one of their class leaders.

The current generation Grand Cherokee, which shares a platform with the big Benz SUV's, was definitely not designed from the ground up for superior off-roading. It, and its Dodge platform mate the Durango, are more like an interesting in-between, not huge like an Expedition or Yukon, but not a smaller FWD-based platform like the Explorer or Pilot.

Explorer is an inch here or there (inch shorter, inch wider) - so I'd not consider it smaller ... it is indeed CUV and not SUV ...

The open top jeeps are popular in my neighborhood especially with the teenagers. Nice blend of motorcycle miata and suv.
Chrysler does need to work harder on solving some of the bugs on some of their nicer designs (concorde
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: Panzerman

I see no lack of Dodges on the roadway.

+1

In my area, I could throw a rock and probably hit 20 Grand Cherokees in a row. They are extremely popular around here, there are 4 of them on my street alone. If you drive down to the local country club, you will actually find that many of the Range Rovers, BMW X5s and Benz have been replaced with Grand Cherokee Overland Summits.

My boss's wife, who can drive anything she wants, recently traded her Audi Q5 for a Grand Cherokee Trailhawk with the 5.7. She loves it! We have the same colour, so it is funny when she comes or goes at the office because it confuses reception, LOL!

My dad went from a 2009 Mercedes GL450 SUV to his 2013 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk with the 5.7L. He says the Trailhawk has been his favorite vehicle besides his 1999 Grand Cherokee Limited he had before the GL450. While he liked the GL450, he said people treated him differently while he drove it, and he didn't like that. He could've easily bought another Benz, but preferred the Grand Cherokee because it was still very comfortable, but less flashy. The GC is MUCH better in the snow also.

I leased a 2013 Grand Cherokee Summit EcoDiesel prior to my last deployment. I REALLY loved that thing, a few minor issues with the DEF system which were updated and handled by the dealer with a loaner provided. The chassis was well sorted, rode and drove exceptionally well, interior was absolutely fantastic. This new version would have all of what I loved in my 2013 but with 2.94 times the power. It's like having the utility of my 2013 Grand Cherokee but with the performance of my LS7 powered Z06 Vette, what's not to love?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
]

The current generation Grand Cherokee, which shares a platform with the big Benz SUV's, was definitely not designed from the ground up for superior off-roading. It, and its Dodge platform mate the Durango, are more like an interesting in-between, not huge like an Expedition or Yukon, but not a smaller FWD-based platform like the Explorer or Pilot.

Probably why each have poor legroom for rear passengers. Maybe an X5 has more rear legroom

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Explorer is an inch here or there (inch shorter, inch wider) - so I'd not consider it smaller ... it is indeed CUV and not SUV ...

That's why I believe the "in-between" label fits. Size-wise it is more similar to the Explorer, but platform-wise it is more similar to the Expedition, being RWD biased.

Although I think some of the negative comments about FCA go a little far, one has to wonder about them these days. They have completely exited the market for anything below a 300/Charger sized car, making them not a full line automaker anymore. This was their strategy in the late 60s early 70s also, just with huge land yachts rather than SUVs at that time. When the fuel crisis hit, they were caught without any MPG friendly options, which lead them to near-bankruptcy in 1979. Is the same thing setting up to happen again?

My fiance has a 2016 Dart, it's not a bad little car. Too bad they are no more. I just think they should have done more to make them better, then they may have sold more. Perhaps make the 1.4 MultiAir Turbo standard. My fiance's is a 2.0 and it really doesn't make any power below 4,000. The downsized turbo would have made more usable torque. But what do I know.

That Jeep GC ? You would look way sharp in that ... however-was asking about the Dart - seems to me most buying cars that size don't buy from the big 3 ...

I think Ford and Chevy are the ones headed in the wrong direction. If the election would have went the other way maybe, but Americans like big cars and the environmental groups are now on the defensive. Once people get a taste of cheap oil and gas and true development starts on U.S soils. I don't think you will be able to box it back up.
I know Dodge enticed me from Ford because Ford puts little engines in all their bigger cars now. The Dodge Challenger with the 6.4 SRT engine and 8 speed Transmission is getting 16 around town and 25 on highway for a car that big and powerful. I think Dodge is on the right track to sell cars in America.

As far as no one looking for Luxury autos is looking at Dodge? What do you want?
They offer leather, navigation, cameras, all the same goodies, powerful motor, nice ride etc... All for on the average of $20,000 to $40,000 less.
Lincoln MKS has nothing that a Dodge Charger doesn't offer for less.

As far as no one looking for Luxury autos is looking at Dodge? What do you want?
They offer leather, navigation, cameras, all the same goodies, powerful motor, nice ride etc... All for on the average of $20,000 to $40,000 less.
Lincoln MKS has nothing that a Dodge Charger doesn't offer for less.

It has a Dodge badge, that's what's wrong. If you stuck even a Hyundai badge on a Dodge, this forum would be full of praises.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Ok, would you buy one?

I am 6'7". I would not buy any car in the Dart's segment. That said I can actually drive a Dart, the seat goes back pretty far, and the steering wheel both tilts and telescopes.

I think Ford and Chevy are the ones headed in the wrong direction. If the election would have went the other way maybe, but Americans like big cars and the environmental groups are now on the defensive. Once people get a taste of cheap oil and gas and true development starts on U.S soils. I don't think you will be able to box it back up.
I know Dodge enticed me from Ford because Ford puts little engines in all their bigger cars now. The Dodge Challenger with the 6.4 SRT engine and 8 speed Transmission is getting 16 around town and 25 on highway for a car that big and powerful. I think Dodge is on the right track to sell cars in America.

Different strokes for different folks. There are 320 million people in America, a lot of people like smaller, more fuel efficient cars. I see Prius all the time around here. If you go out to the 'burbs there's plenty of big bubba trucks.

True development? Many fields aren't economic at current prices, what makes you think that there's going to be some big explosion of domestic development? Oil companies aren't going to undertake big development projects that lose money. It doesn't matter what the political environment is, if the ROI is not there then the capital is better put to use elsewhere.

With Keystone XL happening that will put more raw Canadian tar sand crude on US soils, further depressing demand for additional US development. It might stimulate additional refinery development though.

Tax breaks for the Prius, Special parking for the Prius,Cities and Counties pushing for Prius to be "Responsible" and they still couldn't outsell "Bubba" trucks. Americans like big powerful vehicles and Dodge is giving them that. Why pay more for a 3.5 twin turbo for more money then you can get a V8 torque monster that gets the same gas mileage.

My wife has a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. Absolutely incredible vehicle and just hit 70k miles with no issues. Still tight and quiet and the 3.6L is a very surprisingly peppy and fuel effiecient motor. I would love to trade up for that 707hp!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back