Hellcat-Powered Jeep Grand Cherokee Coming in 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed.

There are 4WD trucks out there cutting the 1/4 mile with alot more than 1000HP, but yes, it takes serious money and engineering.

This is correct about the suspension. Whether leaf or coil, you need some really sturdy radius arms to keep the axle wrap under wraps.

Soft off-road leafs will not cut it.

Funny you should mention the Power Wagon. A WM-300 is the next dream vehicle I plan to tackle.
thumbsup2.gif

SUVs really do nothing for me even in performance variants. I was so disappointed driving a Porsche Cayenne S turbo something a friend owns. It still felt big compared to a car....

The 3.6L is fine by me in this vehicle. I love performance cars though just not SUV's.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Take it from someone who has actually been involved in the engineering and building of several 1000+HP automotive and marine engines: There's no way in Beelzebub's ranch that you're going to get anything but an explosion with that combo.

Stock block? No way.
Stock crank? No way.
Stock transmission architecture with any amount of exotic parts? No way.
Stock transfer case with same? No way.

Make the drivetrain out of Ti/CF? You just blew your $10k budget right there.

Addressing any one component of a 1000HP Land Rover is going to cost nearly your $10k budget.

A 1000HP engine is at least a $50k engine no matter which way you slice it.

100% truth! Most people who claim they want 1000HP have never been in anything making near that much power. On a street car it is dang near useless. Very few seem to understand what stress this puts on the rest of the drivetrain and chassis. Making a vehicle in the 650-750HP range from the factory with a warranty is very impressive.

My brother spent about half of the $10k budget getting half of the 1000 hp out of his Corvette. And he was pretty much at the limit of most of the other components. The Maggy-Lingenfelter supercharger was tough, and the engine was good enough for that kind of power. About 530 at the wheels according to the dyno. But he was at the point of breaking half shafts, needing to strengthen the torque tube, etc. Getting 1000 hp out of a vehicle designed for serious speed costs serious money. Doing it reliably from a Defender? Ha.

Originally Posted By: Tuffy1760
I think the SRT looks better... I think they had a v-10 version way back...

There's never been a V10 Grand Cherokee. There was a V10 Ram SRT for a number of years which utilized the aluminum Viper V10, not the iron truck V10. The Grand Cherokee has been SRT-ified in its previous (WK) and current (WK2) chassis using the 6.1 and 6.4 SRT Hemi engines, but not the V10.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: Tuffy1760
I think the SRT looks better... I think they had a v-10 version way back...

There's never been a V10 Grand Cherokee. There was a V10 Ram SRT for a number of years which utilized the aluminum Viper V10, not the iron truck V10. The Grand Cherokee has been SRT-ified in its previous (WK) and current (WK2) chassis using the 6.1 and 6.4 SRT Hemi engines, but not the V10.

Although fitting a V10 in one shouldn't be too hard, considering its lineage is related to the V8s the early Grand Cherokees came with... And people have stuffed Viper V10s in Wranglers...

Originally Posted By: morepwr
Take it from someone who has actually been involved in the engineering and building of several 1000+HP automotive and marine engines: There's no way in Beelzebub's ranch that you're going to get anything but an explosion with that combo.

Stock block? No way.
Stock crank? No way.

Addressing any one component of a 1000HP Land Rover is going to cost nearly your $10k budget.

100% truth! Most people who claim they want 1000HP have never been in anything making near that much power. On a street car it is dang near useless. Very few seem to understand what stress this puts on the rest of the drivetrain and chassis. Making a vehicle in the 650-750HP range from the factory with a warranty is very impressive.

My wife is close in her GN...it put down 760 at the wheels. Engine is a Stage II 272ci stroker (replacing a 150,000+ mile stocker), trans is a B&M TH-200-4R.

As has been said, its the fact that you get a warranty, everyday driveability, and a decent crash rating along with your 707+ horsepower that makes the Hellcat impressive. Not just the raw numbers. And even at that, the 300 horsepower to get from 400 to 700 is a lot cheaper and easier to find than the same 300 when you're trying to get from 700 to an equally reliable 1000...

Good Friend has a 2015 Grand Cherokee and has had a lot of trouble with it. lst month it spend much of it's life in the shop. Latest trouble was the water pump went that and on a 2015 vehicle.

SrDriver, which engine does it have? And what was it in the shop for its first month? I don't think water pump failures are common for any of the engines available in the GC. Your friend's is likely an outlier.

Originally Posted By: morepwr

Stock block? No way.
Stock crank? No way.

I have driven an honest 900hp Z06 and after that I can honestly say I have zero interest in owning a RWD street vehicle with that kind of power. Its just to much, you have to be so careful opening it up, and when you kind of open it your doing illegal speeds almost instantly.

I'm also sure long term that kind of HP will be costly as stuff wears out and breaks.

My first thought after driving it was...would have kept it stock...maybe added a louder exhaust...

More HP isn't always better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

I have driven an honest 900hp Z06 and after that I can honestly say I have zero interest in owning a RWD street vehicle with that kind of power. Its just to much, you have to be so careful opening it up, and when you kind of open it your doing illegal speeds almost instantly.

Again, I would say that's a perfect example of "factory" vs. "modified, " since there's no such thing as a 900 HP Z06 from the factory.

With stability controls on, the factory high-powered cars tend to be reasonably well-mannered- including the RWD Hellcats let alone this AWD version. I was recently watching the Motor Trend head-to-head with the current Z06 and Viper ACR, and all 3 drivers commented that the Z06 had way too much oversteer and could really get someone in big trouble if they turned off the stability controls, but that it was manageable with its stability control on (of course, that cost it the head-to-head on the track by 3 seconds because the Viper was "hands off" even with the throttle down and the nannies off... very UNlike older Vipers).

But when you start bumping the horsepower up without having the stability system tuned to the power output, a car can get pretty unmanageable even with the "stock" stability control.

^^^AGREED, especially that last line!

But, that Viper ACR is much more race car than street car (although to it's credit, it probably IS daily driveable in 3 season weather).

So, with all of it's aero handling advantages, I would be VERY surprised if it lost the road course challenge to the heat soak prone, and less aero capable, Z06.

Originally Posted By: sw99
Maybe I should start telling the wife I really like the looks of the GC. Plant the seed now huh?

Do you?

The regular Cherokee is hideous. I would have to see a new Fiat JGC..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back