2017 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 Low Speed Turn Vibration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at buying a 2017 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 with 36,200 miles. At times, when turning left or right at a slow speed you can feel a vibration throughout the vehicle coming from the drivetrain.

If I go into a parking lot and turn in forward circles with the wheel at its stop (L or R), I always feel the vibration. Put the vehicle in reverse, without moving the wheel from its stop, go in circles and the vibration is gone. Put it back in drive, vibration is back.

Any ideas?

What is the AWD dial between the front seats set at?
Would 4WD been on, on dry pavement? You could be feeling driveline judder, which would be normal.

If in Auto, in other words 2WD, could be CV joint issues. Its just out of basic warranty so tread carefully

Originally Posted by Danno
What is the AWD dial between the front seats set at?
Would 4WD been on, on dry pavement? You could be feeling driveline judder, which would be normal.

If in Auto, in other words 2WD, could be CV joint issues. Its just out of basic warranty so tread carefully

I know in my GC there is no 2WD. Auto in mine still has all 4 wheels engaged and there is no 2WD setting. Depends on the transfer case employed, the Pentastar equipped GC's are the same, as is the Durango. Not sure what the case is on the Cherokee, but it may be similar (just throwing that out there).

OP: Sounds like it could be feathering on the outside or inside edges of the tires, is there any visible?

Are these designed like your run of the mill FWD/4x4, where the transaxle spins the t-case/PTU and rear prop shaft 100% of the time and 4x4 is turned on/off by an electromagnetic coupling at the rear diff input?

In "auto" mode, maybe those tight turns and different wheel speeds is triggering the rear coupling to engage a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back